A boy named Sam and His Beardies- Zoe/Merlin/Zeus (Pics!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZZDragons

When we say "the boy" in our house, we mean the one and only boy. Well, I take that back. According to my wife, there are actually two boys in the house when you throw me into the mix. Anyway, "the boy" has two sisters, is frequently misunderstood, likes to play outside, grow gardens, the born naturalist, bug catcher and razor scooter extraordinaire. In addition, he is eczema, allergy and asthma afflicted. Traditional pets were not allowed unless we wanted to spend time in the ER with him and a ventilator. Not really our idea of fun. "The boy", also known as Sam, loves anything that has to do with nature since he was a small baby. I used to take him outside at anytime of the year when he was a fussy baby, he would listen to the wind, look at the trees, birds and calm right down. When he turned eight, he was the perfect candidate for a pet to love.

It all began with crickets and a neighborhood church reptile breeder friend. Sam's mother had said no to all pets, mostly due to his allergies and of course the mess. All pets, according to her, create foul odors and messes. Sam was an avid researcher and observer of all living things. He enjoyed the typical kid television programs but he devoured shows like Nature and anything Discovery Channel. He would go on the internet and find out all the facts about his favorite animals. He knew more than most of his teachers depending on the animals they were discussing in class. He would always catch bugs and try to keep them as pets.

In 3rd grade, at the beginning of the year in August, he caught a praying mantis on the playground. His teacher decided to keep it as a pet for class observation and used it to supplement their biology curriculuum. At this point, Sam begged me to get him some kind of a pet he could bring to class. We had just caught a number of grasshoppers out in the Utah wilderness that summer and kept them for awhile so he thought we could get some crickets at the pet store. His mother would insist on keeping them outside but it was doable. We purchased a few crickets, he named them, and took them to school. Unfortunately, the class pressured him into giving up the cricket named George to Killer, the Praying Mantis. He came home and told me the story in tears. Now, with a totally new perspective, he tells me that when we purchase 250 crickets at a time for the dragons, that is just too many to name. At the time, however, he was devastated having to give up one of his pets. It was then I knew he was ready to take care of a pet especially if he was getting that attached to crickets!

That same Fall of 2010, we had a reptile breeder bring a few of his animals to Sam's Cub Scout Pack Meeting. There were no bearded dragons in the mix but you can imagine the fascination by all the kids. I began to consider a reptile for Sam as a pet because we did have a breeder connection who could get us a healthy one. I was already familiar with the nightmares offered by pet stores.

Sam began his typical research on the subject. When his interest is up, there is no stopping him. I just sat back and waited for him to come up with something. He went on the internet for hours researching the best reptile pets. He took all the free pamphlets at the pet stores on each pet and how to care for them. I did a little bit of research myself. I was looking at leopard geckos specifically. I had been a missionary for the Mormon church in Okinawa Japan and we had friendly ones climbing our walls living in our apartment eating the roaches. I was a little bit partial to them. He finally came to me and said, "Dad, I want a bearded dragon or a Chinese Water Dragon. Probably a bearded dragon because they are the easiest to take care of and they are good with kids. I have done all the research (beardeddragon.org was one of his main sites) and I know all of the stuff we will need." I still tried to push the leopard geckos but he was steadfast for beardies. Now, we have a pet choice, how do we convince Mom?

I have learned after being married for 20 plus years that there are a lot of ideas and plans outside the realm of what she believes are acceptable that are still good for the family. She was scared to death when we sat down to sign for our first home. She almost backed out. But, it was the best choice for the family and a great investment- with a little risk of course. She hates even a little risk and also potentially smelly things in her house. Sam and I are smelly of course but at this point she can't do anything about that. She just does not like new smelly things being introduced. I had to plan carefully my arguments and pleadings for the bearded dragon.

It was late September 2010 and our reptile breeder friend was preparing for a reptile show. He was not necessarily a fan of bearded dragons nor did he have much experience because of the cost disadvantages. Beardies eat a lot! But, he knew people who knew people. He said to go to the reptile show and I asked him to set aside some dragons we could choose between. He agreed and we also agreed on potential cost. This was also very important because I needed to let Mom know it was not that expensive.

Sam and I attended the reptile show in Salt Lake City and were completely won over by bearded dragons. They were so cute. We loved to see them all line up at the basking spot, hangin' out. I had planned on picking up the bearded dragon later that week from the breeder friend, by then I would have everything ready. I gently broached the subject with the head lady of the house and it did not go over too well at first. I used all the arguments of Sam needing responsibility, the easiness of taking care of beardies compared to other pets, the smaller mess compared to most other pets. The smell would not be that bad. I told her we would take it on as a trial and would take it back if it did not work out. That clinched it but she was still doubtful.

Sam picked the common one with some German Giant in her and a twinge of Citrus. We brought her home and she has been with us ever since. Over the past two years, she has been incredible. Mom has even grown attached. My second daughter came up with her name, Zoe. She is a Zoe. We have been with her through several cases of pin worms (we did not realize it at the time but I think she came to us with it), a piece of tail tearing off by accident while playing with her and two summers of outdoor fun.

Most people think beardies do not have personalities but those who own them know differently. Zoe never poops in her terranium or inside the house. She only poops in the Fall or Winter in her bath or outside on the grass in the Summer. It is almost as if she could read the mind of the Head Honcho Lady and her aversion to smelly things. She is a little lady with a hint of blue eye shadow under her eyes. She does not like things messy either. She is extremely gentle. That first summer, Sam could be seen everywhere with her. In the house, in the backyard, around the neighborhood. He would just hold her in his hands or stick her to his chest and they were good to go. It took us a little while but we have her temperatures and lights just right. She sits with us in the early evening and goes to sleep on our lap or chest. When we get her out of the terranium, she snuggles up under our chins and closes her eyes as we stroke her head and back. "The boy" had found his calling and a true pet. One he could love unconditionally, one that would be gentle and good to him, one that would not affect his allergies or his skin. He once said to me, "Dad, Zoe is just like me. I shed skin and so does she! (in reference to his eczema).

She weighs in at a whopping 519 grams and is about 18 to 19 inches long. (She just laid 25 unfertilized eggs which we did not know at this weigh in. She now weighs about 420 grams) She would be longer but her tail was shortened by a few inches- scales have grown back over the injury and she is doing fine. She is definitely a part of the family.

Zoe is two years old this summer and is ready to breed. Our reptile breeder friend is anxious to use her for this purpose. He has some common bearded dragon males he wants her to get with and then split the proceeds from the hatchlings. I can tell Zoe is ready. I tell this to my wife and how our reptile friend wants to breed her. She is a little shocked and so am I. I have daughters and I am not fond of giving Zoe up to what I might consider disreputable brutes I don't even know. Especially with the neck biting. Isn't it weird how we become so attached to these beautiful little creatures? I begin to consider an alternative. Why can't we get another dragon, a male, raise him gently like we did Zoe and offer him as her mate when he is old enough? My wife was on board right away with this one, she had become so fond of Zoe.

I began to research breeders online and found a good one. I also began to look for genetic possibilities. I knew that Zoe had some German Giant in her and a little bit of Citrus several generations back. We wanted something a little uncommon and unique. I studied the dominant genetic traits associated with leatherbacks and silkbacks and thought that would be a good match especially with Zoe's traits.

Enter the sad tale of Merlin. Merlin was a Italian blooded silkback we had for several months. I was knew to hatchlings and silkbacks are special cases. Zoe was 4 months old when we got her and her care was straight forward, Merlin needed unique and special care. I followed the instructions sent by the breeder to a tee with temps, uvb, etc. but Merlin was not getting any bigger. He was small, cute and wonderful with bright colors but he just would not grow. He would literally run from crickets. He weighed in at 3 grams and 4 inches and stayed that way for weeks. I got him at 5 weeks and he made it all the way to 10 weeks. I took him to the vet after I revived him when I noticed he was not moving or breathing. I literally performed lizard CPR and he came back. I think he aspirated on some of the teeny tiny food because after bringing him back I notice his nose had liquid oozing out. He seemed fine but I found him dead the next morning. I honestly believe there was something genetically wrong with him as well that prevented him from eating or digesting properly. But, I now have silkback knowledge I did not have before if anyone is interested. We were saddened by his passing, had grown attached and buried him in the back yard next to our Aquatic African Frog, Dobby.

I called the breeder and we negotiated for another baby because even though I was not anxious to replace Merlin, I wanted Zoe to have a mate. Zeus has now entered our lives and he is awesome. He is a Leatherback Orange German Giant X Blood dragon. He has extreme and intense red and orange coloring on his smooth back. He is both fiesty and gentle at the same time. When I first pulled him out of his little bag, he was puffed up like one of those balloon frogs in the movie Shrek. The breeder told me he was a "little fatty" when she sent him but I did not expect this. A tiny puffed up balloon. I could tell right away there would be times he would challenge my authority. But, then he warmed up to us. We soaked him for 20 minutes out in the sun in the small Winnie the Pooh bathtub we bought for Zoe when she was a baby. He loved the sunshine but did puff up a few more times and he pooped a dinky little bratwurst shaped poo. We were so happy! If a survey among pet owners were done rating which ones get the most excited about poop, beardie owners would win hands down.

I called the breeder to let her know he arrived safely and I asked her about the purple ink marks on his belly. She laughed really hard for a few seconds. When she was done, she told me they mark the backs of the hatchlings to keep track of them with a harmless marker. Evidently, Zeus liked to dominate his brothers and sisters in his clutch and get right up over them in the basking spot. No wonder he was a little pudgy 5 week old guy weighing in at 9 grams compared to Merlin's 3 grams and at 6 inches long compared to Merlin's 4 inches.

He has been a joy over the last few weeks. He had his first shed with no hang ups. He eats nearly a 60 crickets per day- twice a day 30 crickets in 10 minutes- has more than doubled in weight and grown almost two inches. Zoe is recovery from her unfertilized egg laying. We are definitely in business!

The hope is Zoe and Zeus will be a great future match!

Zoe:

eb62ca2b.jpg

3f377b7d.jpg

Merlin:

2012-05-09_14-56-31_940.jpg

2012-05-09_14-57-06_569.jpg

Zeus:

Newly Arrived:

4dc7243b.jpg

f09bd2af.jpg

Sleeping in My Hand:

903254ca.jpg

Zeusmybeardie

Gray-bearded Member
Wow love the whole story and beautiful dragons and sounds like your son is the next Albert Einstein lol well congrats on the dragons

ZZDragons

Original Poster
Thanks, it looks like your baby is named Zeus as well. Great name, we went with the Greek thing and ZZDragons. This is such a great community!!!

Zeusmybeardie

Gray-bearded Member
The funny thing when I thought Zeus was a girl his name was zoey lol and that's my next dragons name If it is a girllol

ZZDragons

Original Poster
Yes, about Merlin, live and learn R.I.P and Thanks. Zoe is a great name and hope you have a female beardie in your future. Love the Greekness!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom