9 Snake Rescue!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveDragon

Gray-bearded Member
Every day I check Pets & Free Stuff on CraigsList for anything that might be “interesting”. We got our female Blue Tegu & a 125G tank with stand for $200 in 2007. I’ve gotten a couple of computer monitors (21” & 19”) for free, our 6ft Coastal Carpet Python for $100, etc.

Last week I saw an ad for some snakes for adoption. I contacted them and found a woman who is between homes and her snakes were at a friend’s house. Their landlord said they have to go ASAP. She had 9 snakes with equipment for $100. (3) Corns, a pair of 100% het for Pied BP’s, (2) adults Rat snakes, a Children’s Python, and a wild caught African House snake. Some of the snakes were hers and others belonged to a herp friend in Florida who recently died.

On Sunday we drove up and picked up everything. They’re on the 4th floor and the elevator only went to the 3rd floor (4th floor broken), so we had to hoof it up and down the stairs to get everything to the 3rd floor. We moved as fast as possible to keep the snake’s exposure to cold air (30 degrees?) to a minimum. We then drove about a mile to a guy’s house I work with who’s son drove a “mini” female Blue Tegu back from Florida for us (another story).

All the tanks and tubs were cleaned with nolvasan. We set everything up in our 2 boy’s room. I bought a oil filled space heater and the room is heated to 82-84 degrees, because they had no means of keeping the snakes warm (they used a space heater too).

While we were cleaning we noticed the Children’s Python was gaping all the time, and sometimes popping and bubbling. A probable respiratory infection. The next day my wife took him to our herp vet and they confirmed. Baytril injections for a week and increased temps with a lamp.

We’ll give them a week to settle in before attempting to feed.

I want to get the BP’s probed soon to see if they actually are male & female. The tails and spurs look identical to me but that’s not supposed to be a good indicator of sex. Then we’ll have to wait another year or two to see if they prove out. One of them have very noticeable white banding between the brown & black patterns.

I have a few of pics of the boy’s room (at home) but no individual pics of the snakes yet.

zimbabwepegasus

Extreme Poster
... :shock: ...

i don't if i'm jealous, appalled or excited for you.
jesus. I need to cruise craigslist more often!

Can't wait for the pics!

Trogdor80

Hatchling Member
I've rescued a number of bloods, boas, burmies, and even a retic(big one, not a dwarf) till I could find a permanent home for them. Its always to hear about herps finding a good home instead of getting released ot killed.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
Holy smokes, what a handfull! Good for you for taking care of these needy animals. I would love to see pictures when you get a chance!

wigglesworth

Juvie Member
How are you getting on with them all?
is the Children’s Python any better?

Remember to post some pics when you get the chance :D
can imagine that you're probably quite busy at the moment with all the new arrivals on top of your normal little zoo community

DaveDragon

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
wigglesworth":dd71f said:
How are you getting on with them all?
is the Children’s Python any better?

Remember to post some pics when you get the chance :D
can imagine that you're probably quite busy at the moment with all the new arrivals on top of your normal little zoo community
It seems to be. We'll see if it eats tonight.

Too much going on, pics soon. I need to add under tank heaters to everything and modify the 2x4 rack. Alot of work. I should be able to gets some pics while doing that.

If anyone hasn't seen the update, we sold everything we brought to the White Plains show including 6 Blue Tegu babies!!

http://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=92308#p762869

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom