~9 months old, not eating nearly as much anymore.

I believe he’s around 8-9 months old and as of a month ago the amount of food he’s eating has dropped a lot. He was probably eating 20 large dubia roaches and greens a day now he’ll eat maybe 10 roaches every other day and some greens.

He’s very active in the morning, runs around his tank then I take him out and let him run around a huge room/sit in the open window for hours. After probably 3-4 hours of basking in the window and running around the room he’ll find some dark area and sleep.

I wasn’t really keeping track before but I think he sleeps more often/earlier in the day than he used to.

Considering he’s still very active for most of the day and does not appear to be losing any weight there probably aren’t any actual issues here right?

He has UVA and UVB. ReptiSun 34” 10.0 T5 HO (4 months old). A 85 gallon enclosure which he doesn’t really spend much time in because he gets access to an entire room to run around. The basking areas in the tank are 100-110. No stress marks/black beard almost ever. I can’t actually see anything wrong he seems to be a very happy lizard, just eating significantly less and not shedding once a month like he was previously. Also he has some crazy energy around noon everyday and very badly wants out of his enclosure. I think he’s because I spoiled him and he’s used to being out of the enclosure for MOST of the day where he can look out the window and explore.

Attachments

• 3F6AFD61-9EFC-40FB-B00D-4A580A928E75.jpeg
    3F6AFD61-9EFC-40FB-B00D-4A580A928E75.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 60F644DA-0DB3-4ADF-8EC8-4C9AFB0F319F.jpeg
    60F644DA-0DB3-4ADF-8EC8-4C9AFB0F319F.jpeg
    170.3 KB · Views: 38
  • B5CC65D2-2F30-48D5-9C33-E36CD1EB21D4.jpeg
    B5CC65D2-2F30-48D5-9C33-E36CD1EB21D4.jpeg
    258.4 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 4 and Blaze is 3
I believe he’s around 8-9 months old and as of a month ago the amount of food he’s eating has dropped a lot. He was probably eating 20 large dubia roaches and greens a day now he’ll eat maybe 10 roaches every other day and some greens.

He’s very active in the morning, runs around his tank then I take him out and let him run around a huge room/sit in the open window for hours. After probably 3-4 hours of basking in the window and running around the room he’ll find some dark area and sleep.

I wasn’t really keeping track before but I think he sleeps more often/earlier in the day than he used to.

Considering he’s still very active for most of the day and does not appear to be losing any weight there probably aren’t any actual issues here right?

He has UVA and UVB. ReptiSun 34” 10.0 T5 HO (4 months old). A 85 gallon enclosure which he doesn’t really spend much time in because he gets access to an entire room to run around. The basking areas in the tank are 100-110.
He needs at least 4 hrs of basking time- since he's a juvenile basking temps are better at 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- are you feeding him once a day? The appetite will drop off as he gets older - his diet should flip to 80% greens and 20% insects at 1 year- as long as he's eating and not losing weight I wouldn't worry but he does need time under his basking lights

bigjumper47

Original Poster
He needs at least 4 hrs of basking time- since he's a juvenile basking temps are better at 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- are you feeding him once a day? The appetite will drop off as he gets older - his diet should flip to 80% greens and 20% insects at 1 year- as long as he's eating and not losing weight I wouldn't worry but he does need time under his basking lights
I offer him food everyday but he doesn’t always eat it.

He spends a good amount of time under the basking lights, some days less and some more but I’ll keep him under them for at least 4hrs.

The hottest point in the tank is 107 but there’s some spots that are 100, 95, 90, ect.

Do you think this drop in appetite is just him getting older? Nothing else about his behavior has changed from when he was eating double what he is now. He MIGHT be sleeping a bit more but I wasn’t exactly timing it or anything before. He’s still wicked active in the mornings then really slows down around 5ish and finds a spot to sleep and doesn’t move.

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 4 and Blaze is 3
I offer him food everyday but he doesn’t always eat it.

He spends a good amount of time under the basking lights, some days less and some more but I’ll keep him under them for at least 4hrs.

The hottest point in the tank is 107 but there’s some spots that are 100, 95, 90, ect.

Do you think this drop in appetite is just him getting older? Nothing else about his behavior has changed from when he was eating double what he is now. He MIGHT be sleeping a bit more but I wasn’t exactly timing it or anything before. He’s still wicked active in the mornings then really slows down around 5ish and finds a spot to sleep and doesn’t move.
We can have a vet tech look at your post - see what she says
@Drache613

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
Mines also is allowed to free roam and is 10mo old doing the same thing. Only difference is mines hasn’t stopped eating. He just like to either lay around now or sleep. However, I do take him outside to get natural uvb almost daily for 30mins-hr. Depending on the temp. I have also been leaving him in more although he still has the option to free roam. I thought he was bromating. He will sit in front of the patio door, lay on me or lay on his blanket and watch tv. However, I have found that he moves much more outside now than he does in the house. He doesn’t Blackbeard either.

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
That is about the age I started cutting back on bugs for my guy because he was doing the same thing. I would offer bugs everyday and sometimes he would only eat like 2-3 roaches. Everything else was good, activity levels were normal, and his poops were looking good, although that changed from small poops daily to bigger poops 2-3 times a week. Now at a little over a year old, he gets bugs 2-3 times a week. Some days he eats 20-25 medium dubias or more, and some days he's done after 4 or 5. He eats his salad everyday and weighs in at about 550 grams.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

HELP what's happening with my beardie!!he has a lifted up scale and it has shedding in a circle around it I noticed it for the first time yesterday and I have no idea what it is and when I shine a flashlight on him it's yellow around the scale what do I doooo
substrate looks scrumptious
My female bearded dragon has recently started gasping for air all the time. She can’t get sleep or really do anything because she has such a difficult time breathing. I think it might be a RI but I’m not completely sure. Any thoughts?
Building a custom enclosure from an entertainment center. Can't wait to see how it ends up! Custom Build
setting up a tank for a garter snake in a few months!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bjane
Top Bottom