8wk old Beardie possible RR leg break

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there.
New here I've been posting on my wall since Wednesday about Dilly and the situation at hand. I had no idea until further searching this site about forums and this thread.
Holding baby Dilly in my front door inclosure Dilly got scared from dogs barking ran up my arm dove off me taking a good 2.5-3foot drop WEDNESDAY. Picked up Dilly put back in inclosure immediately noticed Dilly didn't use Right Rear leg. Put food in hydrated by spraying as Dilly is also in full body shed. Prefers to be sprayed for water intake since I have gotten Dilly 2 wks ago. Its now Friday morning no more improvement going up or down branches. Little use but not like the Left Leg use. Eating well poop are normal. Wish I could get Dilly to drink from dish along with eat veggies.
ANY HELP would be great. Pictures on profile with history.
If I can not figure out how to get them on this post.
PS I'd love new friends.

Attachments

• 20211231_051849.jpg
    20211231_051849.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 137
  • 20211229_074042.jpg
    20211229_074042.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 94
  • 20211229_074103.jpg
    20211229_074103.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 20211226_132849.jpg
    20211226_132849.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 83

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi there.
New here I've been posting on my wall since Wednesday about Dilly and the situation at hand. I had no idea until further searching this site about forums and this thread.
Holding baby Dilly in my front door inclosure Dilly got scared from dogs barking ran up my arm dove off me taking a good 2.5-3foot drop WEDNESDAY. Picked up Dilly put back in inclosure immediately noticed Dilly didn't use Right Rear leg. Put food in hydrated by spraying as Dilly is also in full body shed. Prefers to be sprayed for water intake since I have gotten Dilly 2 wks ago. Its now Friday morning no more improvement going up or down branches. Little use but not like the Left Leg use. Eating well poop are normal. Wish I could get Dilly to drink from dish along with eat veggies.
ANY HELP would be great. Pictures on profile with history.
If I can not figure out how to get them on this post.
PS I'd love new friends.
I am sorry to hear about Dilly--- they think they are superman when they are young and tend to jump alot -- please keep the dogs away from her they are going to stress her out more --- it looks like there is blood on her in one of the pics -- please go over the UVB what your using and the brand and the bulb --- I can barely see it --- along w/ her basking temps and how you are taking them --- I am going to suggest what she should have this is going to be extremely important for her recovery and the acclimation to her tank and surroundings -- please dont get her out anymore for now --- she needs time to adjust --
basking temps should be surface temps 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - place the probe on the spot where she sits for basking wait 10 min then get the temp - the basking bulb should be a CLEAR bright white bulb like a Exo Terra Intense basking bulb or a Zoo Med Repti basking bulb those are examples ---- NO daytime bulbs they have a coating on them called neoyidium that is harmful to the eyes NO colored bulbs NO off white or yellowish bulbs they emit No UV---
a long tube fixture for a UVB NO coils -- you want something like a Zoo Med 24" fixture w/ a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb or a Arcadia Pro T 5 12% bulb or a Sunblaster Nano Tech 6400 bulb all these are good bulbs you can find the Zoo Med and the Arcadia Pro T 5 here www.pangeareptiles.com and the Sunblaster Nano Tech here SunBlaster NanoTech T5 HO - Fluorescent Fixture with 6400K Lamp
you want 24" fixtures for a 40 + gallon tank
as far as the leg she may have sprained it -- is it swollen up at all ? Can she put any weight on it? I would recommend getting rid of the sand --- there is too much risk for impaction and sand harbors bacteria which can lead to infections etc -- I would replace w/ some textured NON adhesive shelf liner cut to the size of the tank clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 --- I am going to have AHBD take a look and see what she suggest for her leg etc --- and our vet tech who is on late at night
@AHBD
@Drache613

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, sorry to hear about Dilly having this accident but it's really good that he's still eating + pooping. The leg may be sprained or broken but only an xray will show you for sure. Many beardies will heal on their own so it's up to you if you want to have an experienced [ that's a must ] reptile vet have a look. Is Dilly bending the leg at all ? Did he climb those branches after the fall ? Him being active is a good sign.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry to hear about Dilly, they sure can be daredevils! As suggested, it's really up to you as to whether or not you want to get an
x-ray done on him or not, but that is the only way to know for sure if the leg is broken at all.
I would try to make the basking area easy for him to climb or get up onto so he doesn't injure himself further trying to get up onto.
If it isn't broken, his leg will likely heal up on its own.
Is he eating anything?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

TracyRaeSmiles

Original Poster
I am sorry to hear about Dilly--- they think they are superman when they are young and tend to jump alot -- please keep the dogs away from her they are going to stress her out more --- it looks like there is blood on her in one of the pics -- please go over the UVB what your using and the brand and the bulb --- I can barely see it --- along w/ her basking temps and how you are taking them --- I am going to suggest what she should have this is going to be extremely important for her recovery and the acclimation to her tank and surroundings -- please dont get her out anymore for now --- she needs time to adjust --
basking temps should be surface temps 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - place the probe on the spot where she sits for basking wait 10 min then get the temp - the basking bulb should be a CLEAR bright white bulb like a Exo Terra Intense basking bulb or a Zoo Med Repti basking bulb those are examples ---- NO daytime bulbs they have a coating on them called neoyidium that is harmful to the eyes NO colored bulbs NO off white or yellowish bulbs they emit No UV---
a long tube fixture for a UVB NO coils -- you want something like a Zoo Med 24" fixture w/ a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb or a Arcadia Pro T 5 12% bulb or a Sunblaster Nano Tech 6400 bulb all these are good bulbs you can find the Zoo Med and the Arcadia Pro T 5 here www.pangeareptiles.com and the Sunblaster Nano Tech here SunBlaster NanoTech T5 HO - Fluorescent Fixture with 6400K Lamp
you want 24" fixtures for a 40 + gallon tank
as far as the leg she may have sprained it -- is it swollen up at all ? Can she put any weight on it? I would recommend getting rid of the sand --- there is too much risk for impaction and sand harbors bacteria which can lead to infections etc -- I would replace w/ some textured NON adhesive shelf liner cut to the size of the tank clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 --- I am going to have AHBD take a look and see what she suggest for her leg etc --- and our vet tech who is on late at night
@AHBD
@Drache613
Hi there! Thanks for answering me and getting others in on my situation with Dilly.
My dogs were no where near Dilly when they were barking Amazon at the door made them bark. I was holding Dilly in the enclosure not out of Dilly's home as Dilly's home is a double door opener.
Dilly's enclosure is 18Wx18Hx36L 40 gallon seems bigger.
REPTISUN LED UVB light set up 24"
150W INTENSE BASKING SPOT Dilly's basking is 105 degrees with 19-20% humidity off electric temp I do not keep in enclosure.
There is NO BLOOD Dilly's saddles are trimmed with vibrant red.
There is swelling a little bit down Dilly's femur is able to bend a joint, can use limb but barely. In full sprint leg drags, climbs up branches little use but more of a limp drag if you will.
Eating well. Loves horn worms, dubi bugs, crickets, red wigglers worms, meal worms, loves reptical powder.( I gutt load feeder) Doesn't bother veggies or fruit offered
The sand is better than cedar chips and along with carpet. Makes clean up easy as well.
I will add pictures to my response.

Attachments

• 20211231_131432.jpg
    20211231_131432.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 86
  • 20211231_131234.jpg
    20211231_131234.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 78
  • 20211231_130834.jpg
    20211231_130834.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 20211231_130823.jpg
    20211231_130823.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 20211231_130802.jpg
    20211231_130802.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 20211231_112551.jpg
    20211231_112551.jpg
    412.1 KB · Views: 85

TracyRaeSmiles

Original Poster
Hello,

Sorry to hear about Dilly, they sure can be daredevils! As suggested, it's really up to you as to whether or not you want to get an
x-ray done on him or not, but that is the only way to know for sure if the leg is broken at all.
I would try to make the basking area easy for him to climb or get up onto so he doesn't injure himself further trying to get up onto.
If it isn't broken, his leg will likely heal up on its own.
Is he eating anything?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie
Thank you. I agree on the xray. If I remember correctly when I had a green iguana baby my roommates cat got it. Took it to Vets as it had compound fracture and bruised ribs. They gave me amoxicillin made a splint out of cotton and vet wrap told me they are little their bodies will make a calcium bump to heal bones amoxicillin was to prevent infection. Told to take bandage off in a week. Green iguana named Scar survived the attack and out lived cat.
Dilly climbs up to basking spot with ease. Leg moves at joint just not past mid point of femur.
Dilly eats extremely well.

TracyRaeSmiles

Original Poster
Hi there, sorry to hear about Dilly having this accident but it's really good that he's still eating + pooping. The leg may be sprained or broken but only an xray will show you for sure. Many beardies will heal on their own so it's up to you if you want to have an experienced [ that's a must ] reptile vet have a look. Is Dilly bending the leg at all ? Did he climb those branches after the fall ? Him being active is a good sign.
Hi there.
I am hoping for the heal up on Dilly's own. Dilly can bend the joint. But a little down femur looks like Dilly is forming a calcium bump to mend the break. Dilly is highly active eating well poos are normal. Shedding well. Climbs the branches with ease. leg helps when not running the enclosure after crickets.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is Dilly doing? That's great he can bend his finger joint. Does he seem to be in any
pain right now or has he been walking & climbing as normal? Since he is young, he should
hopefully heal up pretty easily.
You could add a bit of extra calcium for a short while to make sure his system has enough
during the healing process is going on.
I don't think I have seen those led UVB lights, it's hard to tell from the pictures. Is it a tube
type of bulb or a basking/heat bulb?
It sounds like he is doing quite well! Please keep us updated on his progress.

Tracie

TracyRaeSmiles

Original Poster
Hello,

How is Dilly doing? That's great he can bend his finger joint. Does he seem to be in any
pain right now or has he been walking & climbing as normal? Since he is young, he should
hopefully heal up pretty easily.
You could add a bit of extra calcium for a short while to make sure his system has enough
during the healing process is going on.
I don't think I have seen those led UVB lights, it's hard to tell from the pictures. Is it a tube
type of bulb or a basking/heat bulb?
It sounds like he is doing quite well! Please keep us updated on his progress.

Tracie
Hi there Tracie! Yes Dilly can bend at it's hip leg joint. Shows no signs of distress as into black beard panting hiding or not eating. Climbing well eating well.
In food dish I leave calcium powder change out daily. Dilly enjoys the calcium powder hoping to encourage fruit and vegetable by getting used to the calcium powder.
I have 2 basking bulbs one for day light 150w and night I have a ceramic bulb heater that way Dilly doesn't get below 90 degrees but gets temperature change Basking spot gets to 105 with a 19% humidity. I also have the 24" light set up. The led lights I believe are the blue/red lights omit some heat nothing exciting. White light gives off heat as well. The tube light I'm going to assume is the UVB bulb. Sorry my phone died I have what the lights do on my phone.
I am not to sure if I have a male or female as I was told there is no way to tell until they are older.
Friday Dilly started waving at my hunnies. I got it on video is there anything I should be concerned about as I had thought this is submissive behavior? I'll attach video when my phone recharges.
Thank you.
Tracy

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
HelloTracy!

That is good Dilly is able to bend his hip/leg joint. I'm happy to hear he doesn't seem to be in any pain right
now, it's hard to tell sometimes.
Ok good, the long tube bulb being used in combination with a basking light is a good complement to each other. As long
as you are using a bright white light for basking that is fine. The red light doesn't dominate the lighting then?
He should get used to the calcium powder, most do. Hopefully he will be eating his greens & veggies also. It's a bit hard to
determine the sex of them when they are young but not impossible.
Waving is a greeting many times & just a form of communication. It can be a sign of submission in the case of male to female,
etc.
Let us know how things are going!

Tracie

TracyRaeSmiles

Original Poster
HelloTracy!

That is good Dilly is able to bend his hip/leg joint. I'm happy to hear he doesn't seem to be in any pain right
now, it's hard to tell sometimes.
Ok good, the long tube bulb being used in combination with a basking light is a good complement to each other. As long
as you are using a bright white light for basking that is fine. The red light doesn't dominate the lighting then?
He should get used to the calcium powder, most do. Hopefully he will be eating his greens & veggies also. It's a bit hard to
determine the sex of them when they are young but not impossible.
Waving is a greeting many times & just a form of communication. It can be a sign of submission in the case of male to female,
etc.
Let us know how things are going!

Tracie
Dilly is doing great this morning! Loves his dubi roaches! I apricate your help and friendly help! I hope to keep in touch!
Tracy

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Tracy!

That is great to hear Dilly is doing well, eating & running around too. Bless him. It sounds like he is going to be
just fine. It takes them time to heal, but hopefully it wont take too long. You can post new pictures of him for us
anytime, too.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom