80% Humidity!!! Help :(!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nenders

I have sort of a question/comment. Let's say it is 90F outside and 80% relative humidity. If you take that air and heat it, the relative humidity will drop. The dew point will be the same. So the heaters and/or basking light lower the relative humidity. The air can hold more moisture at a higher temperature. So heating the air/viv makes the relative humidity lower.

I am not sure what is important to a bearded dragon, the relative humidity or the dew point. The relative humidity tells you how close the air is to being saturated with water. The dew point tells you the absolute amount of moisture in the air. Well, it tells you at what temperature it would form dew. I always figured that the dragons liked it hot and dry, with the heat helping make it dry.

Elijahsmom

Hatchling Member
When I just recently moved into my new house with Elijah my beardie I was having bad humidity problems too. Like 60% even with my basking lights on. Thankfully where we moved there was a dehumidifier but I had to move it into the room that I keep Elijah in. His humidity in his cage stays at 40% to 45% now even though I have the dehumidifier set at 35% so his cage does stay a bit more humid. The other thing that I have found out though is that the dehumidifier puts out A LOT of heat! His night time temps don't drop below 80 degrees F. I can't use a light bulb on the side with the dehumidifier or he gets too hot. So there you have it for dehumidifiers and their use. Hope this helps you.

JeffSimpson

Juvie Member
gulfbrzdawn":1ojvhw4j said:
JeffSimpson":1ojvhw4j said:
Again, as the enclosure should be it's own climate, you shouldn't really need make changes to the entire house to have an affect.
On the other hand, if your viv has vents/openings, then it will most definitely be affected by the climate in your home. I am not trying to start a debate here, but just pointing out that the temps/humidity in your home "do" play a big part in the temps/humidity in your beardies viv. :D
Oh, I agree that ambient conditions will have some effect on the enclosure. However, the point I was trying to make was that you shouldn't need to make a change to the entire house to affect the conditions inside the enclosure. Focus on the enclosure itself (i.e. Add more vents, cover up some existing vents, circulate more/less air around the enclosure, etc.)

definitions

Juvie Member
I am having ambient temp problems also I can't get the cool side of my tank to stay between 80 and 85 degrees in the late afternoon into evening. The temps get to about 90 to 93 really stressing my baby out. I can't figure out how to get the temps to stay down. It does get warm in my living room we have a bunk air conditioner. any ideas how to bring the temps down on the cool side besides get another a/c lol

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Definitions possibly using a fan or moving your viv to a cooler area of the house. Like interior wall or closer to air vent?

JeffSimpson

Juvie Member
definitions":aagmpc51 said:
I am having ambient temp problems also I can't get the cool side of my tank to stay between 80 and 85 degrees in the late afternoon into evening. The temps get to about 90 to 93 really stressing my baby out. I can't figure out how to get the temps to stay down. It does get warm in my living room we have a bunk air conditioner. any ideas how to bring the temps down on the cool side besides get another a/c lol

We need some more information to be able to make some suggestions:

Why are you worried about the temps in the "late afternoon".. Generally people focus on daytime (lights on) vs night time (lights off).
What size enclosure are you using?
What are you using to heat it?
How are you measuring the temperature, and more specifically, where are you measuring it?
What are the temps in the basking spot?
How many vents do you have, and what size are there?

JenJen321

Original Poster
Thanks so much for all the replies everyone.
I'm planning on buying an AcuRite from Walmart soon.
But, thankfully, the humidity has gone down. It's at about 60% now, which is still much better than before.
I have an A/C on at the moment that I keep at 70 degrees.
I also increased my basking bulb temps, which seem to have helped a bit with the humidity (but don't worry, they're still between 100-110)
Also, I understand that a beardies viv is his or her own microclimate. But, I've found it easier that reducing humidity in the entire room is much easier than doing so in the tank alone.
I feel that it may simply be that my humidity reader is not correct (which hopefully, it isn't, so the humidity isn't Actually at 60% constantly.)
Once i get the AcuRite, I'll be able to tell everyone what the humidity truly is.
Thanks so much for all the advice,
~Jen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom