8 y/o is acting unbelievably hyper and constantly glass surfing suddenly.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Hey y’all, been a while since I’ve posted here, I’ve missed y’all! 💜

Okay so, I have a question, a few days ago I just celebrated 5 years of having My oldest beardie, Daisy.
She’s around 8-9 years old, most likely 8. She’s normally an extremely laid back and chill beardie that prefers to just lounge around and judge people from her “throne” (the top of her hide, or her log)

She’s been extremely odd lately by being exceptionally hyper and constantly is glass surfing, scratching, trying to get out and escape, running around everywhere in her tank and pretty much having no chill at all. To clarify before anything else, I have a vet appointment scheduled for her on the 10th to make sure there’s nothing going on internally.

I’ve been checking her tank temps like a hawk as a few days ago the temperatures in my room and house spiked horrendously and her cool end was around 95, which I thought was why she was freaking out so much this week, was that it was too hot and I didn’t know why until then. I got a fan set up in one side of her tank to lower the temps, they’re down to about 72-75-ish on the cool end, warm end 85-90, basking spot 95-100. But she’s still going absolutely insane. Literally all hours of the day and sometimes at night too she’s constantly glass surfing and running around and scratching everywhere and being unbelievably hyper and jumpy. I have no idea why, especially since she’s older and usually she isn’t super active and just chills on her “throne” judging everyone. (it’s her hide lol)

Is this normal? Is there any cases where older beardies get super hyperactive before they die or something? I’m just very concerned honestly as I’ve been watching her like a hawk and have tried everything, I’m also upgrading her tank to a bigger, front opening tank soon. It’s 40 gal but it’s bigger than her current tank, which I think is technically a 40 gallon? I’m not sure, it’s smaller than my usual tanks. But it’s taller than it is with floor space which isn’t great, hence the new tank will be a good upgrade for her well-being. Especially since it’s front opening.
I’m going to see how she does in the new tank and just see if her old tank was the problem, but honestly I’m still really confused and concerned. I’ve tried moving her to one of my bigger tanks too but she also immediately wanted out of those as well, she just won’t stay in any tank.
She eats bugs voraciously, eats greens sometimes, she can’t see the other beardies really, and sometimes calms down if I hold her, but she’s just constantly on the move and flighty all of a sudden, which isn’t normal for her. It started about a week ago and I’ve tried everything to see what could be bothering her, but I honestly have no clue anymore, hence why I’m getting her seen by my vet. It’s obviously stressed out type behaviors but I have tried everything to look for any potential stressors for her and I can’t really think of anything.
Also, she hasn’t expressed any digging behaviors from what I’ve seen, but I’ll likely put in a dig box when I swap her into the new enclosure, which is probably today. I’m not happy with how simplistic her setup currently is, so I’m hoping to add more enrichment for her soon!

Also, semi side note, is 8 old? I’ve been looking around everywhere for like an average life expectancy and everywhere I’ve seen is between 8-10 or 10-15 with no exact answers to either, I’m really hoping that she’s not nearing the end of her life soon, as other than this sudden odd behavior she’s in very good health.
0A1477A9-C8B6-408F-8ADF-9A3027D2F1BE.jpeg

This was her recently, before she started the weird hyper behaviors. She’s usually a super laid back and chill beardie.

D71CC5B1-29AF-4E41-91F4-395E2DEC9879.jpeg

This middle pic I just took today, she seems to thankfully have calmed down some this evening.

CD80F52F-9AFF-43B3-ADBE-0BA217A842DF.jpeg

Another recent pic, the red is from raspberries lol.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey y’all, been a while since I’ve posted here, I’ve missed y’all! 💜

Okay so, I have a question, a few days ago I just celebrated 5 years of having My oldest beardie, Daisy.
She’s around 8-9 years old, most likely 8. She’s normally an extremely laid back and chill beardie that prefers to just lounge around and judge people from her “throne” (the top of her hide, or her log)

She’s been extremely odd lately by being exceptionally hyper and constantly is glass surfing, scratching, trying to get out and escape, running around everywhere in her tank and pretty much having no chill at all. To clarify before anything else, I have a vet appointment scheduled for her on the 10th to make sure there’s nothing going on internally.

I’ve been checking her tank temps like a hawk as a few days ago the temperatures in my room and house spiked horrendously and her cool end was around 95, which I thought was why she was freaking out so much this week, was that it was too hot and I didn’t know why until then. I got a fan set up in one side of her tank to lower the temps, they’re down to about 72-75-ish on the cool end, warm end 85-90, basking spot 95-100. But she’s still going absolutely insane. Literally all hours of the day and sometimes at night too she’s constantly glass surfing and running around and scratching everywhere and being unbelievably hyper and jumpy. I have no idea why, especially since she’s older and usually she isn’t super active and just chills on her “throne” judging everyone. (it’s her hide lol)

Is this normal? Is there any cases where older beardies get super hyperactive before they die or something? I’m just very concerned honestly as I’ve been watching her like a hawk and have tried everything, I’m also upgrading her tank to a bigger, front opening tank soon. It’s 40 gal but it’s bigger than her current tank, which I think is technically a 40 gallon? I’m not sure, it’s smaller than my usual tanks. But it’s taller than it is with floor space which isn’t great, hence the new tank will be a good upgrade for her well-being. Especially since it’s front opening.
I’m going to see how she does in the new tank and just see if her old tank was the problem, but honestly I’m still really confused and concerned. I’ve tried moving her to one of my bigger tanks too but she also immediately wanted out of those as well, she just won’t stay in any tank.
She eats bugs voraciously, eats greens sometimes, she can’t see the other beardies really, and sometimes calms down if I hold her, but she’s just constantly on the move and flighty all of a sudden, which isn’t normal for her. It started about a week ago and I’ve tried everything to see what could be bothering her, but I honestly have no clue anymore, hence why I’m getting her seen by my vet. It’s obviously stressed out type behaviors but I have tried everything to look for any potential stressors for her and I can’t really think of anything.
Also, she hasn’t expressed any digging behaviors from what I’ve seen, but I’ll likely put in a dig box when I swap her into the new enclosure, which is probably today. I’m not happy with how simplistic her setup currently is, so I’m hoping to add more enrichment for her soon!

Also, semi side note, is 8 old? I’ve been looking around everywhere for like an average life expectancy and everywhere I’ve seen is between 8-10 or 10-15 with no exact answers to either, I’m really hoping that she’s not nearing the end of her life soon, as other than this sudden odd behavior she’s in very good health. View attachment 76744
This was her recently, before she started the weird hyper behaviors. She’s usually a super laid back and chill beardie.

View attachment 76746
This middle pic I just took today, she seems to thankfully have calmed down some this evening.

View attachment 76745
Another recent pic, the red is from raspberries lol.
Mine does the same thing in January - glass surfing - I call it spring fever- he will do this for weeks to a month - drives me crazy- I get him out for 2 hrs if I can - most times I am working- but if I do hes fine after I put him back in-

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Is there any chance she's gravid? And 8 is upper middle-aged.
Ok so, update, she got a new front opening exoterra enclosure (36x18x18) which is great improvement for her as she hates top opening tanks, she’s been thoroughly enjoying her new tank however she is still super hyper active.

Her vet appointment went well, she’s in good condition except for a high count of pinworms that she’s being treated for weekly with panacur right now.

The vet noticed she has follicles on her left side so there is a chance she could be Gravid (infertile) so we’ve been feeding her a bit more lately, giving more calcium and providing a dig box.

She’s been her same spunky self, just very active, but she’s been absolutely adoring her new tank and thoroughly enjoys having doors, she keeps greeting me in the morning for food XD

I’ll let y’all know how she’s doing if anything changes. :)

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
B3EDB3AE-25E0-4362-A197-BF406076BAA8.jpeg
Mostly updated pic of her new enclosure,there’s been a few additions, a shallow dig box in the front right corner, a water dish, and a small cork flat to help discourage her from glass surfing more. She seems to really really enjoy her new tank :))

(The critical care in front of the enclosure isn’t for Daisy, it’s for my special needs beardie, Scully, who needs help eating. Daisy eats just fine on her own!)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
View attachment 77234 Mostly updated pic of her new enclosure,there’s been a few additions, a shallow dig box in the front right corner, a water dish, and a small cork flat to help discourage her from glass surfing more. She seems to really really enjoy her new tank :))

(The critical care in front of the enclosure isn’t for Daisy, it’s for my special needs beardie, Scully, who needs help eating. Daisy eats just fine on her own!)
I would move a piece of basking decor under your UVB - what is the bulb? T 5 or a T 8?

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom