7 yr old Ball Python strange habits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deemac6

Juvie Member
That the rule as bit as the widest part but able to leave a bump, and yes f/t is a much better way to feed, i've seen some nasty injuries due to rats and mice.

GlueStick

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Kidster96":o8p2ae39 said:
http://www.rodentpro.com/products.asp
o_o?
MrMatt":o8p2ae39 said:
http://www.micedirect.com

At Petsmart you can get a copy of the October 2011 Issue of Reptiles Magazine (maybe not right away I'm a subscriber) it has a fairly large column about feeding rodents to your reptiles. I just got mine the other day in the mail and read the article tonight. It helped me with further understanding and the reasons to feed frozen thawed rodents to my snakes. I currently have 1 Ball Python and 3 Corn Snakes.

They usually say that you can feed a prey item to your snake that is no bigger then 1 1/2 the snakes girth at the largest point.

Thank you. But are these websites for bulk sale only?? My goodness, you have to buy 100-500 in the least... o_O hows that gonna fit in the freezer? o jeez...haha.

And yes, I subscribe to the magazine. Have been since 2009 =) I actually have that particular magazine you are referring to and I have used it to lead my team into learning how to feed snakes. My snake is just a pain in the A with her feeding.

I think that my problem with her is to feed larger prey items and to find something that can go on her coolside that can make her feel more comfortable, even though she is out on that side all of the time without a problem. She likes to snug herself real tight against the wall and log that has the plants covering it. Other than that, she is always on the hot side under the enormous half log.

My last question is, at what age (and I know that this if further down the road) do I start feeding her less? like once every other week or something? Or do I just feed her once a week, a medium or larger rat, for the rest of her life?

MrMatt

My last question is, at what age (and I know that this if further down the road) do I start feeding her less? like once every other week or something? Or do I just feed her once a week, a medium or larger rat, for the rest of her life?[/quote]

Well considering that they can live up to 30 years a normal feeding schedule is once a week. However in the summer time they may want to eat more where as in the winter they may want to eat less.

I went to this web site to look at the ball python morphs and found this fantastic care sheet. http://www.royalconstrictordesigns.com/ball-python-care-sheet It's extremely well informed and this guy knows his stuff. :D

GlueStick

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Again, yes, I know how long they live and have known.

So continue feeding her once a week as I have been. I see now that her habits have changed due to season change. That was all that I was looking for as an answer. She is extremely ravenous in the summer months for food, which is why it startled me lately. She is def a lot slower in wanting to eat in the colder months.

Ill check out the caresheet and compare it with the others, thank you.

Like I said before, I will post a pic later when I have set up the tank properly. I am in the process of moving so, its been very difficult. For the past 2 years my snake has lived at my mothers house. I am finally getting her back and have noticed these habits of hers recently. I look forward to getting her back 100% into my care at last.

GlueStick

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Random but, could you guys maybe post a pic of your snake cages for reference? I'm just curious to know what they look like. I try to make my reptiles' cages look as natural as possible without any health risks. Lemme see if I can show you what my pythons cage looks like...

This is the cage, empty, when I had ordered it 2 years ago. I asked for the dimensions of a 75 gallon, but shorter, but I feel like its more narrow, like a 55 gallon tank. When I pick her up tomorrow, I will measure it.

IMAG0777.jpg

And this is the last picture I took of her cage about a month ago. Its hard to tell whats going on, haha but there is a huge (and I mean huge. I haven't been able to find another one like it anywhere) half log on the right with a ceramic tile and heating pad underneath of it (I learned the hard way what heating pads uncovered can do to snakes years back >_<) and just some heavy logs on the right. I use a dog dish (I know, its ceramic) because aside from the litter box I used to use, its the only thing big enough (although, i stand corrected. I just found an awesome stone bowl i found at a yard sale that is big enough. I will put it in there when I get her and redo her cage). She spends most of the time under that half log on the right and between the heavy log and the wall on the left.

spook-1.jpg

Deemac6

Juvie Member
I have Brood in a plastic tub from walmart with some hides and a UTH for heat, out of all the people I know most keep balls in these tubs with the exception of one, while keep others such as corns,milksnakes, bigger pythons (6-10ft) and boas in tanks.

From my experience and from seeing and hearing others ball due prefer smaller areas and the tub do that for them, Brood loves his hides or the corner of his tub curled up with as much of him touching the walls, they don't like wide open areas and its been more then confirmed to cause issues with them, but I figure as long as you have the right stuff in there a large tank can work.

Mind you the person I know that has the tank has this amazing rock wall type thing, that is completely hollow and is a series of tunnels and cave like areas, I wish I could find something like it.

Your tank is very pretty though! Just remember more hides the better :D

GlueStick

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I got a larger tank for her years back because she is such an active ball python normally and her cage items just wouldn't fit in her older 40 gallon breeder tank (plus that uth I had on it shattered the bottom. told ya i learned the hard way XD). Tubs seem to work, but she is able to get out of the deeper boxes I use to feed her in and tubs to me aren't so decorative and sightly, however rude that sounds to say XD Plus I spent $110 on the tank I have so... the tank is here to stay! =) I love the sliding doors. Helps me see where she is at and helps her feel more comfortable to know where I am coming from.

Yeah, tomorrow I'm going to see if I can buy another hide or just something that can make that open area near the left feel more compact and safe. There really isn't much floor space, but maybe i can find a combination of larger logs and heavier plantation. I really don't wanna buy another half log, mainly because they're not large enough for her, but also because they take up so much space I may not have room for the water bowl.

I'm imagining it now, haha. It will look awesome and she will feel so much better (I hope) but its gonna be a PITA to get her out XD. Ah well, whatever makes her feel better even if I get dirt all over the floor. Note to self, always lay down trash bags on floor when removing cage items... XD

Deemac6

Juvie Member
Oh I agree the tubs aren't anything to look at and I find myself wanted to put him in something better looking but I just couldn't risk sticking him in something that might cause him issues or problems for the sake of pretty, but like I said it works out for people and you are making it more comfortable for her and that's all the matter.

GlueStick

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Well, I got my snake (finally!). I have lots to do... set up her cage appropriately (hope that you will all agree). She is currently shedding and miserable and I've come to find out she hasn't been fed in 2 weeks (which pissed me off). So I am currently waiting for my rats to arrive in the mail from Micedirect.com. Should be here any day now... had to throw away the rest of the rats because they were freezer burnt -_-.

Anyway, here is the cage set up in MY possession (shakes head). Want to setup some white light in there once I figure out the how my house works with the temps. Cool side is on left with red light which I turn off during the day(about 82-86F) and the hot side, which has a CHE and heating pad is between 90-94F. Tried to make the tank more crowded feeling so she felt more comfortable. Seems to have worked, despite her stress of moving and shedding and probable hungriness. She stayed in her hut for the first couple of hours, but this morning found her probing around with curiosity and is currently on the cool side hiding behind the huge log.

snakecage.jpg

'hot' side
hotside.jpg

'cool' side
coolside.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom