7 month beardie hiding and not eating!?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have been using crickets and he usually likes them. Every once in a while he gets meal worms (small) as a treat or hornworms. I can't get dubia roches anywhere here. He loves collard greens but hasn't touched them in two days. He's still hiding and not interested in food
Please start ordering your insects / worms on line - they are cheaper -
www.dubiaroaches.com
www.reptilianarts.com
www.symtonbsf.com
Fluker Farms - Order Live Crickets, Mealworms, Superworms great super worms - you will need a container w/ holes and meal worm food for them

Mattie V

Original Poster
Please start ordering your insects / worms on line - they are cheaper -
www.dubiaroaches.com
www.reptilianarts.com
www.symtonbsf.com
Fluker Farms - Order Live Crickets, Mealworms, Superworms great super worms - you will need a container w/ holes and meal worm food for them
Oh awesome. I will order some Dubias. Is one site more favorable then another? How often can I give him the hornworms? I have given one a couple times and goes nuts over them. Can the superiors be a daily feeder? They seem large when I look at them in the store. Thanks again!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Oh awesome. I will order some Dubias. Is one site more favorable then another? How often can I give him the hornworms? I have given one a couple times and goes nuts over them. Can the superiors be a daily feeder? They seem large when I look at them in the store. Thanks again!
dubiaroaches.com has really good roaches and horn worms order medium -you can feed the horn worms every day as they do grow quickly - I would order like 12 at a time for him and feed 2 of them till gone - flukers has the best super worms - and reptilianarts has good silk worms last time I ordered from the its been awhile -- symtonbsf has good BSFL --

Mattie V

Original Poster
dubiaroaches.com has really good roaches and horn worms order medium -you can feed the horn worms every day as they do grow quickly - I would order like 12 at a time for him and feed 2 of them till gone - flukers has the best super worms - and reptilianarts has good silk worms last time I ordered from the its been awhile -- symtonbsf has good BSFL --
I really appreciate your feedback! I'm going to order some now. Do i still continue the calcium/ vitamin dusted on these?
'm really hoping that the light change and food helps. If he keeps hiding and not wanting to eat, what could be going on?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
If you can get superworms they are better than mealworms. They are considerably bigger and if they turn into beetles you can feed those also.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I really appreciate your feedback! I'm going to order some now. Do i still continue the calcium/ vitamin dusted on these?
'm really hoping that the light change and food helps. If he keeps hiding and not wanting to eat, what could be going on?
Parasites possibly--- but lets get the other stuff ruled out first -- keep dusting the roaches 5 x per week once per feeding - when he turns a yr old that is going to change -- I am pretty sure its the UVB that is causing him not to eat -- they wont eat w/ out proper surface basking temps and UVB placement and distance -- get those adjusted and go from there

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Be careful with the hornworms they are like beardie crack, they get addicted to them and don't want anything else. It can be hard to get them to eat other feeders. Hornworms are good feeders they are great for hydration but to many will cause runny poop.

Mattie V

Original Poster
Be careful with the hornworms they are like beardie crack, they get addicted to them and don't want anything else. It can be hard to get them to eat other feeders. Hornworms are good feeders they are great for hydration but to many will cause runny poop.
Yea I noticed lol He almost ate my finger before I could put it down. Last one he had was on Sunday. He's just suddenly started acting weird last two days. The vet can't see him till the 30th and I'm having massive anxiety over him not eating or basking

Mattie V

Original Poster
Parasites possibly--- but lets get the other stuff ruled out first -- keep dusting the roaches 5 x per week once per feeding - when he turns a yr old that is going to change -- I am pretty sure its the UVB that is causing him not to eat -- they wont eat w/ out proper surface basking temps and UVB placement and distance -- get those adjusted and go from there
Okay sounds great! Thanks! I'm hoping all of this works. I'm so stressed about him acting off. My poor baby :(

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Feeding hornworms is about the only time i get bit. Those suckers will wrap around your finger with a quickness and a beardie will grab them even faster lol.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He certainly looks very colorful & healthy to me. Ordering insects online will save you considerable
amounts of money, absolutely. If you learn to breed some of them, that will help, too.
Since his weight is stable, & he isn't eating a lot, he can go a week or even longer, without going to
the bathroom. A lot of them tend to do that. You can try to increase his oral fluids to see if that will
help things pass through his system faster.
He could be trying to brumate, or, at least "partially" brumate which many of them tend to do at
6-8 months. If he has gone through some rapid growth spurts his body might want to slow down &
rest awhile.

Tracie

Mattie V

Original Poster
Hello,

He certainly looks very colorful & healthy to me. Ordering insects online will save you considerable
amounts of money, absolutely. If you learn to breed some of them, that will help, too.
Since his weight is stable, & he isn't eating a lot, he can go a week or even longer, without going to
the bathroom. A lot of them tend to do that. You can try to increase his oral fluids to see if that will
help things pass through his system faster.
He could be trying to brumate, or, at least "partially" brumate which many of them tend to do at
6-8 months. If he has gone through some rapid growth spurts his body might want to slow down &
rest awhile.

Tracie
Thank you. He finally pooped last night after 7 days and it looked great. I removed his hammock he was hiding under and He ate a few bugs and some squash. Not a lot, but better. He's been out all morning so far. I ordered some probe thermometers and waiting on those. I have been using the if gun.

I'm glad I was told about the bugs online! What a money saver and I can finally try dubias with him! He has had huge growth spurts and this is the first time he's not shedding lol. He's 18 inches now.

He acts sleepy off and on so the slowing down makes sense. I'm keeping his vet appointment on the 30th to at least get a full checkup

I will update how He's doing. Thanks to everyone for the help!! Beardies are so awesome but can definitely throw us a curve ball lol

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great, definitely let us know how things are going. They are masters of disguise & always seem
to keep us guessing. Just when we think we have them figured out, they go & pull another trick out
of their scales!
Maybe he will pick back up again soon. At least he has been out basking some right now, so he can
be a little lazy here & there & be perfectly fine. The probe thermometers will be very accurate so you
can be sure all of his temperatures are optimal for him.

Tracie

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom