7 month beardie hiding and not eating!?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thank you. He finally pooped last night after 7 days and it looked great. I removed his hammock he was hiding under and He ate a few bugs and some squash. Not a lot, but better. He's been out all morning so far. I ordered some probe thermometers and waiting on those. I have been using the if gun.

I'm glad I was told about the bugs online! What a money saver and I can finally try dubias with him! He has had huge growth spurts and this is the first time he's not shedding lol. He's 18 inches now.

He acts sleepy off and on so the slowing down makes sense. I'm keeping his vet appointment on the 30th to at least get a full checkup

I will update how He's doing. Thanks to everyone for the help!! Beardies are so awesome but can definitely throw us a curve ball lol
Please do not let them do a enema on him -- take a fecal in w/ you - enemas can often end in disaster

Mattie V

Original Poster
Please do not let them do a enema on him -- take a fecal in w/ you - enemas can often end in disaster
Thanks! I sure will.
I fed him a dubia and he wants crazy! He loves them. I'm going to have to order more since he seems to be on a cricket strike.

What is the best way to keep the dubias and do they live long? What should I feed them? How many should i order at once? Tia!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thanks! I sure will.
I fed him a dubia and he wants crazy! He loves them. I'm going to have to order more since he seems to be on a cricket strike.

What is the best way to keep the dubias and do they live long? What should I feed them? How many should i order at once? Tia!
You can keep them in a 10 gallon aquarium feed dubia food and dubia dew / water crystals - they also eat what the dragon eats - I feed mine oranges / apple- shredded raw sweet potato - squash yellow and zucchini and carrots -- and what ever else may come along - I do not feed carrots to my dragons too much Vit A- so if you feed to the roaches do not to the dragon - and yes they live longer than the crickets - I usually order 200 at a time - www.dubiaroaches.com

Mattie V

Original Poster
You can keep them in a 10 gallon aquarium feed dubia food and dubia dew / water crystals - they also eat what the dragon eats - I feed mine oranges / apple- shredded raw sweet potato - squash yellow and zucchini and carrots -- and what ever else may come along - I do not feed carrots to my dragons too much Vit A- so if you feed to the roaches do not to the dragon - and yes they live longer than the crickets - I usually order 200 at a time - www.dubiaroaches.com
Wonderful. I have a tank ready to go so I will order a bunch. Can I buy the dubia food and crystals off of that site also? I have some but it was what I used for crickets specifically

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Wonderful. I have a tank ready to go so I will order a bunch. Can I buy the dubia food and crystals off of that site also? I have some but it was what I used for crickets specifically
Yes they carry the dubia food and dubias dew-/ crystals-

fcooper

Hatchling Member
Probably brumation beardies hibernate for whatever reason. mine did the same thing around that age for 3-4 months. just look up brumation it'll calm your nerves

Mattie V

Original Poster
Yes they carry the dubia food and dubias dew-/ crystals-
Well an update. It's been a few days with the uvb mounted inside and changing his diet. He quit eating crickets but loves dubias. He was a big eater until axweek ago. I'm still waiting on my shipment of dubias and in the mean time I have been buying then at the pet store 10 for $10, multiple times...😬

He's still hiding off and on. Eating a little salad, not much. He wants his roaches, basks for a little while then hides. He is loving the dubias! I had to remove his log after eating so he would stay out and bask. I put a little hide in there so I could put his climbing log on top and didn't think he would think about going inside. But he did, partially. Poor thing. Still worried Seems he's getting better but still wants to hide. So I'm not sure. I need to figure out a good area to build for him to bask on many levels and I'm just not doing a good job. Now he's acting different for the first time I'm scrambling to figure him out again lol.

Here's a funny pic of my big boy, don't worry he's safe and I took out the little hide 😬. And a photo of him basking this morning after dubias for a little while. The log is back in and he's back to hiding in it ...

Maybe he is slowing down? I'm not sure anymore!
Any ideas for ways to set up better basking area please share photos with me, thanks!

Attachments

• Resized_20220822_190026_887070172597545.jpeg
    Resized_20220822_190026_887070172597545.jpeg
    268.7 KB · Views: 77
  • 20220821_192401.jpg
    20220821_192401.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 67

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I showed the pic in the hide to my girlfriend we both had a good chuckle. Beardies are such little clowns lol.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Well an update. It's been a few days with the uvb mounted inside and changing his diet. He quit eating crickets but loves dubias. He was a big eater until axweek ago. I'm still waiting on my shipment of dubias and in the mean time I have been buying then at the pet store 10 for $10, multiple times...😬

He's still hiding off and on. Eating a little salad, not much. He wants his roaches, basks for a little while then hides. He is loving the dubias! I had to remove his log after eating so he would stay out and bask. I put a little hide in there so I could put his climbing log on top and didn't think he would think about going inside. But he did, partially. Poor thing. Still worried Seems he's getting better but still wants to hide. So I'm not sure. I need to figure out a good area to build for him to bask on many levels and I'm just not doing a good job. Now he's acting different for the first time I'm scrambling to figure him out again lol.

Here's a funny pic of my big boy, don't worry he's safe and I took out the little hide 😬. And a photo of him basking this morning after dubias for a little while. The log is back in and he's back to hiding in it ...

Maybe he is slowing down? I'm not sure anymore!
Any ideas for ways to set up better basking area please share photos with me, thanks!
If hes basking after eating give him his hide back - his main diet is the roaches and if hes eating a little of the salad hes fine - you can rinse the salad before serving so hes getting hydration - that one log hes perched on looks like a nice one so I would keep that under your basking light --and no hes not going into brumation - hes too young -- as long as hes eating active basking and pooping hes good -

Mattie V

Original Poster
If hes basking after eating give him his hide back - his main diet is the roaches and if hes eating a little of the salad hes fine - you can rinse the salad before serving so hes getting hydration - that one log hes perched on looks like a nice one so I would keep that under your basking light --and no hes not going into brumation - hes too young -- as long as hes eating active basking and pooping hes good -
Thanks. He has his hide back. I rinse the salad and mist it. If it starts to dry I replace it. I found out his wood hide is made of pine and it can be toxic? So I'm looking to replace that now. Any suggestions on good hides or should I build my own?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thanks. He has his hide back. I rinse the salad and mist it. If it starts to dry I replace it. I found out his wood hide is made of pine and it can be toxic? So I'm looking to replace that now. Any suggestions on good hides or should I build my own?
I personally dont like wood- they are too hard to keep clean - mine are made of resin type - easier to clean if they get pooped on I have one that I got from dubiaroaches.com and one came from Pet Smart a long time ago that they dont even carry anymore -

Attachments

• Blazes new  plant and rock.jpg
    Blazes new plant and rock.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 58
  • Hiccup 8-5-2022.jpg
    Hiccup 8-5-2022.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 55

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom