7 Inch Long but 6 Months Old??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soobak23

Title says all;; I'm wondering if I should be worried about Bobo's lack of growth ever since I got him in November at the local pet store..

I wanna say that he's maybe grown an inch since he's been with me.
It's strange though because as a baby, he definitely had the physical qualities of a baby; the skinny arms and skinny tummy but in the past few months, Bobo looks more mature.. It's just that he won't physically get longer. For example, his facial features resemble more of an adult's moreso than before. I don't know, I'm just really confused. LOL

Behaviorwise he acts like a healthy beardie; curious and loves to explore. He never had much of an appetite and can really only eat around 15 crickets a serving before he loses interest.

Details:
*20 gallon long tank (will upgrade to a 40 gallon soon)
*105 basking temp
*85 cool temp
*10.0 ReptiSun UVB
*no light/heat source at night (house stays at 65 during the night)

Food:
*Dusted with Repashy Calcium+Vitamins 5-6 days a week
*Variety of crickets (still debating whether to move him onto the larger crickets..), superworm treats and waxworm treats
*offer fresh greens everyday

Any help/suggestions on why he may not be growing would be greatly appreciated;;
I feel like I may be doing something wrong :banghead:

EDIT: I forgot to add that during November, December and January he was shedding like once every 2 weeks but he hasn't shed since.. So, it's been about 3 months since he's gone through a shed.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That sounds pretty good. They're all a little different and tend to shed/grow in spurts so it may just take more time. As long as he is acting happy/alert and eating and pooping regularly I'd keep doing what you're doing and not worry about a growth schedule too much.

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Could you post a picture?

It's uncommon in pet stores, but there could be a chance that he is rankin or vittikans (cross between normal beardie and rankin).

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
zandi202":ddmmlj86 said:

It's uncommon in pet stores, but there could be a chance that he is rankin or vittikans (cross between normal beardie and rankin).

Yes that's a good thought too. Sounds healthy either way though.

Soobak23

Original Poster
zandi202":1ubaflas said:

Ooh, that could be... It just seems like he's at a standstill growth-wise.

When I first got him:
http://i59.tinypic.com/2ir9ezk.jpg

Now:
http://i61.tinypic.com/33p8pjd.jpg

Size: (taken from a webcam so sorry about quality ^^;)
http://i62.tinypic.com/300dzd2.jpg

His enclosure's not really nicely decorated cuz it's just a temporary home.

I don't mind if he stays small but I'm just concerned about his health so.. Thank you for the responses though!

Tonja

BD.org Addict
Oh my he is so cute. Many times we don't notice growth with our animals since we are with them all the time. He looks as if he has grown and filled out from the time you got him to now. I got Emmett in Dec, the 28th to be exact. He doesn't look like he's grown to much to me but comparing his pictures and by his weight, I know he has, he just doesn't look it to much but then I am with him all the time. He looks happy and healthy so I would not worry about it. They all grow at different rates. If you have a scale you can weigh him once a week and chart his growth progress that way. Otherwise he looks fine to me.

Soobak23

Original Poster
Yeah;; I realize he's filled up quite a bit but I'm just worried about his length.

I found another post that I had made on the forums when I first got him and he was 6.5 inches. Now he's 7.5;; So that means that he grew an inch during the course of 4 and a half months..

I don't know ;~;

Thank you for the responses! You guys are seriously the best!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom