6 months as a beardie owner. Question and concerns.

Bunsy44

We got Zig on January 1st so its been about 6 months now. Its been going good but Im always learning. This forum has always been my go to place for info.

Zig is about 20 inches long and he's roughly a year old. He's seems to be in a constant state of shed so I know he's growing steadily. His head and legs just shed and his body before that so his tail will be next Im sure. He eats around 20-30 large crickets and a couple super worms every day, plus all the veggies he can eat (mustard green, collards, dandelion greens, peppers, carrots, strawberries, endive, etc.) I limit the fruits but he does love them and peppers quite a bit. He's super mellow most of the time and rarely gets worked up or black bearded. We take him out at least once a day but probably dont bath him as much as we could/should. I clean out the enclosure once a week and give him fresh water daily. I haven't weighed him but I assumed since he always sheds that he must be growing ok.

Tank temps are 100 under the basking light, 90 in the surrounding areas of the basking light, 80ish in the rest of the tank. Night time drops to 70ish. Im going to be upgrading my tank soon to a taller one so I can remove the screen on top so the lights aren't blocked by the screen. I currently have a 90w Halogen basking bulb, a 36" Retipson 10.0 UVB T5 that spans the back of the tank, a ceramic heat bulb hooked up to a temperature gauge so it goes on and off when needed. Tank is a low profile one with a foam back wall. The foam back wall is starting to fall apart so need to get rid of it soon.

One thing I noticed about him is how widely different he is from day to day. Some days he hides out in the cave half the day and sleeps in there at night after eating and warming up a bit. Other days he's walking and climbing all over the tank, eating like crazy, messing up his tank and sleeps in his hammock at night.

Concerns:
Lately he seems to have some loose stools. Sometimes it looks undigested with bug parts still distinguishable. His urea looks normal. One day he pooped and then a few minutes later he went again but it was just clear liquid and quite a bit of it. He seems fine otherwise. His eyes look good, he's alert, eating well, body looks fine, color is good, he never gets a black beard when being handled, no vomiting or anything like that. I'm wondering if he has a parasite or something? Maybe stressed out for some reason? I don't have an exotic vet in town so its a couple hours away if I need to get him checked. He has never been a regular everyday pooper. He's usually every other day or every 3 days sometimes. One time he went for a week and then his poop looked totally normal so I was worried for nothing I guess.

A couple times in the last month he went totally bonkers. He would climb up on his cave and start bobbing head head like crazy in really jerky movements and his whole body was going from bright orange to dark brown rather quickly and then back again. Then he would storm around the cage knocking things over, spilling water and food. One time he pooped and before I got home he must have got into one of his modes and just trashed the tank. Food and poop everywhere. I'm wondering if his reflection is pissing him off? As you can see in the picture below is a pretty clear reflection. Maybe he's just reached that age where he need to display some aggression sometimes? Im thinking when I get the new tank I should cover the back and sides with landscape pictures or at least black them out.

Should I be feeding him crickets more than once a day maybe? I have tried in the past and he usually doesn't want to eat a second time in a day. I dont like leaving crickets in the tank unattended because they hide and he cant get them and then they chirp all night.

I just notice in that one picture he looks a bit thin but he was cold at the time after being in his cave for a bit and must have been on an exhale when the pic was taken because he doesn't normally look that skinny. Maybe he needs to eat more? I guess I'm not really sure how fat they are suppose to look? Sometimes he looks huge ahah.

Anyway, I hope I'm doing things right so far but as I said, I'm always learning.

image1.jpeg
image0.jpeg

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
We got Zig on January 1st so its been about 6 months now. Its been going good but Im always learning. This forum has always been my go to place for info.

Zig is about 20 inches long and he's roughly a year old. He's seems to be in a constant state of shed so I know he's growing steadily. His head and legs just shed and his body before that so his tail will be next Im sure. He eats around 20-30 large crickets and a couple super worms every day, plus all the veggies he can eat (mustard green, collards, dandelion greens, peppers, carrots, strawberries, endive, etc.) I limit the fruits but he does love them and peppers quite a bit. He's super mellow most of the time and rarely gets worked up or black bearded. We take him out at least once a day but probably dont bath him as much as we could/should. I clean out the enclosure once a week and give him fresh water daily. I haven't weighed him but I assumed since he always sheds that he must be growing ok.

Tank temps are 100 under the basking light, 90 in the surrounding areas of the basking light, 80ish in the rest of the tank. Night time drops to 70ish. Im going to be upgrading my tank soon to a taller one so I can remove the screen on top so the lights aren't blocked by the screen. I currently have a 90w Halogen basking bulb, a 36" Retipson 10.0 UVB T5 that spans the back of the tank, a ceramic heat bulb hooked up to a temperature gauge so it goes on and off when needed. Tank is a low profile one with a foam back wall. The foam back wall is starting to fall apart so need to get rid of it soon.

One thing I noticed about him is how widely different he is from day to day. Some days he hides out in the cave half the day and sleeps in there at night after eating and warming up a bit. Other days he's walking and climbing all over the tank, eating like crazy, messing up his tank and sleeps in his hammock at night.

Concerns:
Lately he seems to have some loose stools. Sometimes it looks undigested with bug parts still distinguishable. His urea looks normal. One day he pooped and then a few minutes later he went again but it was just clear liquid and quite a bit of it. He seems fine otherwise. His eyes look good, he's alert, eating well, body looks fine, color is good, he never gets a black beard when being handled, no vomiting or anything like that. I'm wondering if he has a parasite or something? Maybe stressed out for some reason? I don't have an exotic vet in town so its a couple hours away if I need to get him checked. He has never been a regular everyday pooper. He's usually every other day or every 3 days sometimes. One time he went for a week and then his poop looked totally normal so I was worried for nothing I guess.

A couple times in the last month he went totally bonkers. He would climb up on his cave and start bobbing head head like crazy in really jerky movements and his whole body was going from bright orange to dark brown rather quickly and then back again. Then he would storm around the cage knocking things over, spilling water and food. One time he pooped and before I got home he must have got into one of his modes and just trashed the tank. Food and poop everywhere. I'm wondering if his reflection is pissing him off? As you can see in the picture below is a pretty clear reflection. Maybe he's just reached that age where he need to display some aggression sometimes? Im thinking when I get the new tank I should cover the back and sides with landscape pictures or at least black them out.

Should I be feeding him crickets more than once a day maybe? I have tried in the past and he usually doesn't want to eat a second time in a day. I dont like leaving crickets in the tank unattended because they hide and he cant get them and then they chirp all night.

I just notice in that one picture he looks a bit thin but he was cold at the time after being in his cave for a bit and must have been on an exhale when the pic was taken because he doesn't normally look that skinny. Maybe he needs to eat more? I guess I'm not really sure how fat they are suppose to look? Sometimes he looks huge ahah.

Anyway, I hope I'm doing things right so far but as I said, I'm always learning.

View attachment 71503 View attachment 71504
Welcome and it sounds like your doing a great job - it's possible he has parasites but one runny poop really doesn't really say he does - constant and really bad smelling then I would say a fecal is in order- your uvb is he able to get directly under it? Distance 12-15 inches to basking decor- undigested bugs is usually surface basking temps are not high enough- his temps should be 95-100 on the spot he sits

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
The one thing i would add, please dont leave poops in there for any amount of time. The cocidia parasites life cycle involves being pooped out an re-ingested. If he tracks through his poop and then his food he could end up with an infection.

Bunsy44

Original Poster
I clean the poops immediately but if I’m not home when it happens they may sit a bit. During the last couple weeks he went though an extensive shed and he always acts weird when he’s shedding. He’s been spending a ton of time in his cave so maybe he’s not getting enough heat to help with digestion? His poops have been off and on for a bit now, sometimes normal, sometimes undigested and stinky. The UVB light is only 12” above the floor of the tank so it’s fairly low but it is going though the screen too. When he’s on top of the cave or branch he’s only probably 4” to 6” away from the UVB but he’s not up there all the time. I believe the temps are fine in the basking spot, maybe even a bit high. He will sit under the hammock when it gets too hot because I have some tile under there that retains some heat.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I clean the poops immediately but if I’m not home when it happens they may sit a bit. During the last couple weeks he went though an extensive shed and he always acts weird when he’s shedding. He’s been spending a ton of time in his cave so maybe he’s not getting enough heat to help with digestion? His poops have been off and on for a bit now, sometimes normal, sometimes undigested and stinky. The UVB light is only 12” above the floor of the tank so it’s fairly low but it is going though the screen too. When he’s on top of the cave or branch he’s only probably 4” to 6” away from the UVB but he’s not up there all the time. I believe the temps are fine in the basking spot, maybe even a bit high. He will sit under the hammock when it gets too hot because I have some tile under there that retains some heat.
The screen is going to block 30% of the UVB rays -- the UVB can sit on top if the screen is a wide hole type- if its a fine mesh like a screen door it needs to be unobstructed - incorrect basking temps and UVB will cause them to have or get parasites - along w/ other illnesses - where is he sitting most of the time for the UVB rays? You want the best rays possible for him to absorb -- he needs those temps for proper digestion so a digital probe thermometer is going to give those they are the most accurate on a hammock -

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom