6 month old beardie half-brumating but still active?

SarahNancy13

Beardie name(s)
Ember
Hi! I have a 6 month old (almost 7) beardie named Ember and he had a really long bout of coccidia. Went through 3 antibiotics and the last one finally worked (new vet) and he had a clean fecal (yay!!!). He's been more active when he's out of his enclosure, running around and exploring which I love to see because he kinda lost that when his coccidia was bad. However, when I am at work and he's in his tank he doesn't move too much. He used to be in his hide like all day which was concerning because I still feed him dubias morning and night so I want to know he's digesting them well. (I know all this because I have a nanny cam on his tank all day because I'm a helicopter mom lol). When I take him out when I get home, he does his exploring so he's still active. Could it be possible he's only brumating for a few hours during the day? Should I stop feeding as many bugs? Also, today he was staying in one place (on my sweater in the middle, pictures attached), it had a CHE directly on top of it so I think it was warm but still he stayed there for 6-7 hours!!

Any help would be much appreciated I love this lil guy and now that we finally kicked the coccidia I don't want him dealing with another problem!

Details:
Enclosure: Zen Habitats Open Front, 4'x2'x2'
Substrate: paper towels
Inside: several hides, ramp, behind large rocks, 2 fake plants, climbing net spanning majority of back wall other furnishings in enclosure, veggie bowl, large "sleeping bag" (in hide), folded sweater, a few rolled up hand towels, basking rock (2 layers, 2 caves), ramp, rectangle hide
Stool: runnier, potty trained to go to the bathroom in the bath (take him out when he's about to poop so he goes on a paper towel), baths only last like 2-5 minutes before he poops
Diet: dubias (small-medium) 30-50 daily (split into morning and night feedings), hornworms (a few a week), BSFL (large, sometimes sub dubias for it but don't dust) veggies offered fresh daily (collards, arugula, escarole as staples; add in pepper, alfalfa sprouts, fruit every now and then) Dust: calcium w D3 2x/wk, calcium w/o D3 2x/wk, vitamin 1x/wk Lighting; Reptisun tube inside mesh 10.0, CHE (in middle of tank, always on, even at night), 2x 100w bulbs in basking spot/hot side, 1x 50w bulb on 12-14 hours a day on a timer)
I take temps with 2 probes on both sides

Attachments

• IMG_8918.jpg
    IMG_8918.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_8905.jpg
    IMG_8905.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_8919.jpg
    IMG_8919.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 79

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Ember looks pretty good, it's likely that having coccidia and going through treatment has him a little more tired than a healthy 7 month old would usually be. It's good that he's eating well. Just curious though, in the 3rd pic it looks like a bunch of towels + blankets ?

SarahNancy13

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ember
Ember looks pretty good, it's likely that having coccidia and going through treatment has him a little more tired than a healthy 7 month old would usually be. It's good that he's eating well. Just curious though, in the 3rd pic it looks like a bunch of towels + blankets ?
Thank you for your response! That definitely makes me feel better, hopefully he’ll be healthy again soon. Yes, that’s the foot of my bed actually. It’s a weird angle, I took it when I was sitting on my bed to show the lights but there’s about 2-3 feet on the floor between his tank and the bed frame.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
LOL, I need to get my eyes checked ! :LOL:
How many lights are there ? Looks like a lot of light/heat, what are the temps. throughout the cage ?

SarahNancy13

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ember
There are a total of 3 UVA lights, plus the CHE that I use at night and in the middle of the tank during the winter. I live in New Jersey so it's been really cold here lately and I noticed his temps were dropping so I kept the CHE in the middle on during the day and night. Also, because of the coccidia, the vet mentioned to keep his nighttime temps around 75-80 degrees to help his immune system.

According to the probes I have, it's close to 100 on the basking spot and the cool side is round 75-85 at all times. Is this too hot? He doesn't gape at all in other parts of the tank besides the basking spot so I figured it was okay.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi! I have a 6 month old (almost 7) beardie named Ember and he had a really long bout of coccidia. Went through 3 antibiotics and the last one finally worked (new vet) and he had a clean fecal (yay!!!). He's been more active when he's out of his enclosure, running around and exploring which I love to see because he kinda lost that when his coccidia was bad. However, when I am at work and he's in his tank he doesn't move too much. He used to be in his hide like all day which was concerning because I still feed him dubias morning and night so I want to know he's digesting them well. (I know all this because I have a nanny cam on his tank all day because I'm a helicopter mom lol). When I take him out when I get home, he does his exploring so he's still active. Could it be possible he's only brumating for a few hours during the day? Should I stop feeding as many bugs? Also, today he was staying in one place (on my sweater in the middle, pictures attached), it had a CHE directly on top of it so I think it was warm but still he stayed there for 6-7 hours!!

Any help would be much appreciated I love this lil guy and now that we finally kicked the coccidia I don't want him dealing with another problem!

Details:
Enclosure: Zen Habitats Open Front, 4'x2'x2'
Substrate: paper towels
Inside: several hides, ramp, behind large rocks, 2 fake plants, climbing net spanning majority of back wall other furnishings in enclosure, veggie bowl, large "sleeping bag" (in hide), folded sweater, a few rolled up hand towels, basking rock (2 layers, 2 caves), ramp, rectangle hide
Stool: runnier, potty trained to go to the bathroom in the bath (take him out when he's about to poop so he goes on a paper towel), baths only last like 2-5 minutes before he poops
Diet: dubias (small-medium) 30-50 daily (split into morning and night feedings), hornworms (a few a week), BSFL (large, sometimes sub dubias for it but don't dust) veggies offered fresh daily (collards, arugula, escarole as staples; add in pepper, alfalfa sprouts, fruit every now and then) Dust: calcium w D3 2x/wk, calcium w/o D3 2x/wk, vitamin 1x/wk Lighting; Reptisun tube inside mesh 10.0, CHE (in middle of tank, always on, even at night), 2x 100w bulbs in basking spot/hot side, 1x 50w bulb on 12-14 hours a day on a timer)
I take temps with 2 probes on both sides
Your UVB should not be on at night-- no lights on at night --- when your dragon is parasite free I recommend dropping the night time temps to 65-75 -- 80 is ok at night for a sick dragon --- distance for your UVB should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece ----

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Karrie I think her sentences ran together, the CHE is on all night, not the uvb light.

So Sarah those temps. would be fine, just be sure to leave the probes at least 20 minutes to make sure it has time to register the temp. properly.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Karrie I think her sentences ran together, the CHE is on all night, not the uvb light.

So Sarah those temps. would be fine, just be sure to leave the probes at least 20 minutes to make sure it has time to register the temp. properly.
I re read that line twice and she had it in parenthesis so I was reading she meant the UVB is on all night - not sure see if she says other wise

SarahNancy13

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ember
Gotcha thank you! I will do those suggestions for sure.

Karrie: Yes, sorry, I meant the CHE on at night only, no visible light!

Is the fact that he is potty-trained to poop in the bath, therefore takes a bath 2-5 minutes long every day, be detrimental? The poop is still kinda runny despite the clean fecal.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Gotcha thank you! I will do those suggestions for sure.

Karrie: Yes, sorry, I meant the CHE on at night only, no visible light!

Is the fact that he is potty-trained to poop in the bath, therefore takes a bath 2-5 minutes long every day, be detrimental? The poop is still kinda runny despite the clean fecal.
Too many baths can cause the scales to dry out- I would not give a bath everyday - maybe once a week - the diet is good so I dont think that is what is causing the loose stools - lay off on the baths and see if that wont firm them up

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Good that you have the ceramic heat emitter on overnight, that is helpful during the winter.
You can try training him also, to go potty on a paper towel. I have done that in the past & it's
relatively easy. LOL

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom