55g Aquarium - TURNED ON ITS SIDE

AMELIAROBYN

I have a 55 gallon aquarium that I would like to turn on its side so that it creates more surface area for my bearded dragon enclosure. My concerns are that I still need to be able to add the lamps and from what I have found you cannot place the lamps on top of the glass because the heat does not distribute evenly through out the enclosure. What other options do I have for adding the lamps to the enclosure. My thoughts were that I could separate the top glass piece from the rest of the tank and then cut a strip out of the middle and then reseal the pieces to the tank leaving an opening that i could then close with screening of some type and then place the lamps over the screen.

Has ANYONE ever attempted cutting the aquarium like this? If so please send photos and instructions and all your do's and don'ts. This aquarium was free to me and I know there are option to buy but why would I spend the money if I have a perfectly good aquarium just laying around.

Thanks for any help you can give.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't think doing that would give you enough space for the lighting. As you said, the glass will intercept UVB so putting the lights on top isn't an option. Ventilation may also become an issue depending on how you close off the front. I think you're best off using the 55g as a temporary solution with a screen top and plan on building or purchasing a larger 4x2x2 for the long run.

AMELIAROBYN

Original Poster
CooperDragon":35bq8ila said:
I don't think doing that would give you enough space for the lighting. As you said, the glass will intercept UVB so putting the lights on top isn't an option. Ventilation may also become an issue depending on how you close off the front. I think you're best off using the 55g as a temporary solution with a screen top and plan on building or purchasing a larger 4x2x2 for the long run.

Thank you for replying. I think I have found a way to make this work. It will be a little more work on my part. But I love a good challenge. :) With the dimensions being 48.25 x 12.75 x 21 once it is laid on its side after the rebuild ( i will post photos once i have completed it) my new friend would have a surface area of 48.25 x 21. I feel like this will be plenty of room for him/her to grow. The top portion of the tank that would have normally been the side will be removed completely and replaced with a wire mesh screen for the lighting. Now that it is on its side it will also have a sliding door in the space that use to be the top of the aquarium. So basically I am just building a wood framed glass display case with a wire mesh top. Repurposing the glass so that we can enjoy watching him/her grow.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I look forward to seeing how it looks when you've completed it. Please feel free to share your progress here :D

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom