5 month old Bearded dragon sick or dying??? Please help!!

Gslouise

Original Poster
I have a 5 month old bearded dragon and something is very wrong. I have no idea what to do. 3 days ago I saw her bobbing her head up and down and knew she wasn’t okay. Her beard puffed up and became black and it looked like she was choking. She was still moving and after giving her drops of water she seemed to slowly get better. She hasn’t been eating and I’ve been keeping a close eye on her. A day after the first incident I found her on her back in her terrarium, she was not moving. She was still breathing and I helped her on to her stomach. Today has been the worst. I woke up and found her almost on her side curled up. There were 2 small mealworms that looked like they were almost eating her? I took her out of the terrarium and placed her on a warm shirt. She was slightly shaking and she has occasionally been opening her mouth. She opens it for about 20 seconds. She is not walking, but she is twitching randomly. I have been spraying her with water to keep her hydrated. Her eyes look sunken and her behavior has not changed for 18 hours. I always monitor the temperature and she lives in a 40 gallon tank with a heat lamp and UV lamp. She eats small mealworms daily and occasionally fruits and vegetables. It is devastating to see her in this condition and I have no idea what to do. I am worried about calling the vet as I have heard some terrible stories and I don’t want to move her or make her more uncomfortable. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do or what the problem might be?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have a 5 month old bearded dragon and something is very wrong. I have no idea what to do. 3 days ago I saw her bobbing her head up and down and knew she wasn’t okay. Her beard puffed up and became black and it looked like she was choking. She was still moving and after giving her drops of water she seemed to slowly get better. She hasn’t been eating and I’ve been keeping a close eye on her. A day after the first incident I found her on her back in her terrarium, she was not moving. She was still breathing and I helped her on to her stomach. Today has been the worst. I woke up and found her almost on her side curled up. There were 2 small mealworms that looked like they were almost eating her? I took her out of the terrarium and placed her on a warm shirt. She was slightly shaking and she has occasionally been opening her mouth. She opens it for about 20 seconds. She is not walking, but she is twitching randomly. I have been spraying her with water to keep her hydrated. Her eyes look sunken and her behavior has not changed for 18 hours. I always monitor the temperature and she lives in a 40 gallon tank with a heat lamp and UV lamp. She eats small mealworms daily and occasionally fruits and vegetables. It is devastating to see her in this condition and I have no idea what to do. I am worried about calling the vet as I have heard some terrible stories and I don’t want to move her or make her more uncomfortable. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do or what the problem might be?
Boy it sounds like a lot is going on --- what kind of UVB are you using? If its a coil they are inadequate for UVB--- please post a pic of the dragon and her lighting - she needs surface basking temps of 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --- if its warm where you are and you are using a coil shut it off and get her outside for good UVB -- let her sit on you or in a plastic tote for 30 min direct sunlight -- supervise her tho do not leave her -- I am flagging your post for more help
@AHBD
@Drache613
look on this website for a good reptile vet
www.arav.org
if your in a small area type in the biggest cities zip code closest to you

Last edited:

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom