40" from UV light?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JakeJHB

Ok, I'm in the final stages on my viv, and I have one final problem to solve.
I have to find some way to get enough UVB to the floor of my viv, 40" away.
I have installed a 36W reptisun and a 20W arcadia D3+, I have also lined the board behind the lights with aluminium foil as a reflector.
The thing that worries my is UV decays exponentially, so will these measures be enough?

LJean

Extreme Poster
40" is too far away from the UVB any UVB for it to be any good for a dragon. But if the dragon can get closer: 6-8 inches from the UVB while basking it will be able to utilize the uvb.

I am really confused why you need the uvb to go to the bottom or 40"

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
How large is your enclosure? Could you use a MVB instead? The 100W MegaRay must be a minimum of 12" and Max of 20" (I'm not certain of the max), so it may be a better option. I have a MVB in my cage and I can't begin to describe all the benefits from my dragon. You could put a nice ramp or raised basking spot to allot for the required distances. Then the bottom of the tank could be the 'cool side'. Just an idea..
Good luck!

JakeJHB

Original Poster
I have really gone all out with my viv, so I decided to build a tank that can hold arboreal or ground dwelling lizards, whichever I pick at that point in my life.

That said, The tank size is:
width 70cm or 28inches
length 160cm or 63inches
height 100cm or 40inches
In total it is a 305 gallon tank!

I would like to make sure the dragon get enough UVB at the floor, even though I have a raised level.
Thanks

h0ndap0w3r

Sub-Adult Member
its not going to be possible to do that, unless u have multiple uv tubes throughout the enclosure. . . i dont know of any bulbs that reach to 40inches and is still effective, and if there were it would be super strong which would be bad if your animal got close to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom