4 month old stopped eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooMoo

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Moochi
We’ve had our dragon for just over a month. He’s always had a great appetite. But he has been on a hunger strike for the last 3 days. Not interested in much of anything. We even tried hornworms. He’s pooping normal. He’s basking. He’s sleeping. But he does seem a tad stressed. Doesn’t want to be held. The thing that I don’t get is he has been shedding in stages, first his back, then head, then tail. Now finally his arms and legs are shedding. But his appetite was great with the other sheds. Is this normal?
Edit- he’s 4 months old

Attachments

• 8DBAE870-D3DE-485D-826B-7C5C123012BD.jpeg
    8DBAE870-D3DE-485D-826B-7C5C123012BD.jpeg
    249.9 KB · Views: 100
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 71

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
shedding in stages is totally normal. it will be more patchy and take longer the older they get.

MooMoo

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Moochi
shedding in stages is totally normal. it will be more patchy and take longer the older they get.
But why has he stopped eating? Because he’s shedding? He didn’t stop eating when other parts of him were shedding. I just don’t understand how he went from a great appetite to nothing at all :(

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
But why has he stopped eating? Because he’s shedding? He didn’t stop eating when other parts of him were shedding. I just don’t understand how he went from a great appetite to nothing at all :(
Stopped eating is not good especially for 4 months old -- what are you using for a UVB ? coil or a tube ? where in the tank is it? Basking temps need to be surface basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- I see a stick on they are inaccurate for basking temps- I see him gaping which is good but you need the digital probe thermometers -- Shed will cause a lack of appetite but not completely to quit eat

MooMoo

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Moochi
I’m going to get a better UVB light for inside his cage. We did end up taking him to a vet today. We woke up and he was very wrinkly. Clearly super dehydrated. The vet gave him fluids and showed me how. I’m hoping with the new light and the fluids he’ll perk up and start eating again.

Attachments

• C68884E3-7B21-414A-9CD3-DC9944ED2E40.jpeg
    C68884E3-7B21-414A-9CD3-DC9944ED2E40.jpeg
    227.9 KB · Views: 77
  • C4B698B2-B4E3-4E43-8981-DC330BDB8421.jpeg
    C4B698B2-B4E3-4E43-8981-DC330BDB8421.jpeg
    125.4 KB · Views: 67

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I’m going to get a better UVB light for inside his cage. We did end up taking him to a vet today. We woke up and he was very wrinkly. Clearly super dehydrated. The vet gave him fluids and showed me how. I’m hoping with the new light and the fluids he’ll perk up and start eating again.
What kind of UVB please NO coils -- I can send you some links for good UVB's please let me know-- did the vet say to drop water on his nose or use a eye dropper or bathing --?? Dragons will not eat if they are dehydrated --- the UVB and surface basking temps play a huge role in the eating and over all health in behavior

MooMoo

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Moochi
What kind of UVB please NO coils -- I can send you some links for good UVB's please let me know-- did the vet say to drop water on his nose or use a eye dropper or bathing --?? Dragons will not eat if they are dehydrated --- the UVB and surface basking temps play a huge role in the eating and over all health in behavior
Please let me know which uvb to purchase. I’m assuming it’ll be a long tube that I can mount inside across 2/3 of the glass. Leaving just the cool side out. We have a screen across the top of his cage but it may be filtering too much uvb.
The vet is having me do some enemas over the next few days. And bathing multiple times daily.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please let me know which uvb to purchase. I’m assuming it’ll be a long tube that I can mount inside across 2/3 of the glass. Leaving just the cool side out. We have a screen across the top of his cage but it may be filtering too much uvb.
The vet is having me do some enemas over the next few days. And bathing multiple times daily.
Ok bathing is fine but an actual enema is a NO NO-- they are too hard risky for something to go wrong-- its possible hes got parasites that is usually what they are testing for but getting the poop out of the water might be a little tricky-- you can feed him some plain canned pumpkin add a little olive oil --
Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood This one comes w/ a 5.0 bulb keep it for a back up distance and placement is different from the bulb you need this one 22" Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO
Please let me know when you get it and I will help you place it for your tank - it will depend on your screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom