4-5 Month Old Dragon Not Eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Molson

3 days ago: Only about 10 crickets and greens fed since no where in town had crickets (christmas delays)
2 days ago: Ate like 50 large crickets in one sitting, and then nothing in the evening
1 day ago: nothing eaten, still basking quite a bit and active, but hiding more than normal
Today: nothing eaten, hiding all day

I'm not quite sure what could be wrong, nothing has changed, her lighting and heat are all fine and the standard suggestions, food is mainly crickets and collard greens, that's all fine. She is still able to lift her head, and move around just fine. 16 inches long and somewhere around 4-5 months old.

And she isn't even sleeping, just hiding under her hammock, almost always awake. What do you guys think is going on here? She's too young for brumation isn't she?

My plan is to get a fecal test done tomorrow to make sure, but I'm not sure if that will be the obvious answer since she was already treated for parasites 3 months ago. And even when on those parasites she still ate everyday.

Molson

Original Poster
bunnyrut":2bkhz3v4 said:
when was the last time she pooped?

does she look like she is going to shed soon?

Thanks for replying. Not close to shedding and still poops everyday. She also gets baths every 2-3 days.

Molson

Original Poster
Well she eagerly ate this morning, so I guess all I can conclude right now is that beardies are strange, confusing creatures.

DixieLonestar20x

Hatchling Member
16" long?? I don't think this baby is 4-5 months..i'm thinking more about a year to year and a half...she might be getting ready to start going into a brumation cycle if she is venturing into her hide more...are you sure about this age approximation? Please ensure this as if you aren't sure and she really is older then there is a really good chance, like 99%, that she is getting ready to brumate.

DixieLonestar20x

Hatchling Member
Oh I am definitely not saying it isn't possible, it by far is possible ive seen em before...but unlikely....That is why i was asking to double check the guesstimate

Molson

Original Poster
DixieLonestar20x":2sd7rj79 said:
16" long?? I don't think this baby is 4-5 months..i'm thinking more about a year to year and a half...she might be getting ready to start going into a brumation cycle if she is venturing into her hide more...are you sure about this age approximation? Please ensure this as if you aren't sure and she really is older then there is a really good chance, like 99%, that she is getting ready to brumate.

Yup 16 inches from her nose to the end of her tail. I've had her for about 3.5 months, and when I got her she was about 6 inches long from the pet store. The guy said the babies they had were all around 2-3 weeks old (which may or may not be true).

Anyways, she's back to eating almost her regular amount, and basking a lot more. So things are looking pretty good right now. Still have no idea what could have caused the hunger strike though haha.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
He may be closer to 6 months old. I have heard about beardies brumating at 6 months old. It's unusual but if you have a beardie that grows so fast that it's that long by 5 or 6 months old then they would tend to slow down a bit on eating at least. I remember reading about beardies that long at that age (one, if I remember right, was 17 inches at 6 months of age) that they sometimes tend to slow down on eating and, in the one case I remember, he started brumating at the 6 month age, freaking his human mama out, needless to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom