4-5 month old Beardie diet???

Dave_in_LA

Beardie name(s)
Poppy
Hi... I'm a new owner and my beardie is about 4-5 months old.
Can someone help me with a good feeding schedule?

How many times a day should I be feeding him?
How many times a day or week do I feed him crickets?
How many times a day or week do I feed him meal worms?
How many times a day or week do I feed him vegetables and fruits?

Are their any other type of proteins I should be giving him besides crickets and meal worms?
What are the best vegetables and fruits to give my beardie?

Your advice and any additional suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Bpeery87

Beardie name(s)
Reptar
I feed crickets, dubias, mealworms, superworms. I put 12 dubias and 12 crickets in a tall tub with a few mealworms or superworms. I leave him for about 10 minutes. Twice a day. I always add a few if he eats everything. Other than that I keep a fresh salad of 75 percent greens and 25 percent fruits and veggies at all times. I keep it misted lightly to help hydrate. Hope this helps. Lots of good guides online for which fruits and veggies are ok and how much of each is ok.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi... I'm a new owner and my beardie is about 4-5 months old.
Can someone help me with a good feeding schedule?

How many times a day should I be feeding him? 2-3 times per day
How many times a day or week do I feed him crickets? 2-3 times / day
How many times a day or week do I feed him meal worms? NONE meal worms have a exoskeleton on them that is harsh on babies stomachs and can cause impaction
How many times a day or week do I feed him vegetables and fruits? salads every day Nutrition Content ignore the kale info its outdated

Are their any other type of proteins I should be giving him besides crickets and meal worms? NO meal worms super worms every other day 1-3 topped on the salads as lures
What are the best vegetables and fruits to give my beardie? website was posted

Your advice and any additional suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
Make sure your surface basking temps are 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - UVB is a long tube fixture NO coils they are inadequate-- if you need help w/ that please ask - we can give good UVB fixture/ bulbs recommendations -- please make sure your dusting the insects w/ Calcium D3 ONCE per feeding / or one time per day lightly coated --- 5 x per week --- Vitamins w/ beta carotene ONCE per feeding / or one time per day lightly coated 2 x per week --

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
At his age he needs protein, feed him 2 to 30 times per day as much as he will eat on about fifteen minutes. Dust with calcium 1 time per day, dust with multivitamins 2 to 3 days per week. Crickets, dubia roaches, black soldier fly larvea. Superworms, hornworms, silkworms, try to avoid mealworms, they are hard for them to digest. Offer salads everyday. Collard greens,turnip green, mustard greens, dandelion green, kale, are your staple greens you can offer fruits (none citrus) and no avocado it's toxic to them. Speaking of toxic so are lightning bugs. Just one can and likely will kill your dragon.
Beardies are not good at drinking water. To hydrate hom you can use an eye dropper to place a drop at a time on his snout, he should lap at it, be patient it takes them a little bit to realize its water. If he still won't drink you can add in a little none citrus fruit punch to give it flavor. Go slow and don't force it in.

fcooper

Hatchling Member
I normally go by this feeding guide.. Do note the 10-20 bugs a feeding is a minimum, most do how many bugs they will eat in a 10-15 minute time frame which would be preferred.

All life stages eat 10-20 bugs a feeding.

1-4 months 3x a day.

4-12 months 2x a day.

12-20 months once a day.

20+ months twice a week at the least, every other day at the most.

Staple feeders - Crickets, locusts, grasshoppers, silkworms, black soldier fly larvae, dubia roaches, turkish roaches.

Treat feeders - Waxworms, hornworms, superworms, mealworms, butterworms.

Wax worms - once a week, 4-5 max.

Hornworms - every other day to every two days, 4-6 max.

Mealworms - every other day to every two days, 5-10 max. Only for beardies above 6 months.

Superworms - once or twice a week, 3-4 max. Only for beardies above 12 months.

Butterworms - once or twice a week, 3-4 max.

Daily greens- Turnip/collard/mustard greens, endive, and kale if added to a mixture of the other staple greens mentioned.

Fruit once or twice a week - Banana, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, red raspberries.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom