3rd round of eggs......within 2 months. When will it end?

adapa

My male & female essentially co-habituate so there's no question of fertility. They visit each other's tank.

I was expecting a clutch of eggs this spring.
Cutie, my girl dropped a round of eggs on May 3.
Then she plumped out, Got bumps and I figured wow a second round of egg's-- ok I can deal with that.
She dropped them today May 31.

During the excavation of the lay box, I noticed ANOTHER round of eggs. These had been there for a while, their big, pink and look ready to hatch. I'm guessing these were laid before the first round, like around early April. The hatching box had been **out side** in San Diego CA.
I moved them- in retrospect, i realize i should have just let the big egg's be, but what's done is done.

Any idea on when i can expect Cutie to stop laying eggs? I'm almost out of room in my incubator!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
They can lay more than 5 clutches in a season even from one time mating because the female can store sperm but if they are constantly breeding she really can't catch a break . Cutie might be better off away from the male so she won't be harassed. It sounds like you have an outdoor enclosure ?

adapa

Original Poster
They can lay more than 5 clutches in a season even from one time mating because the female can store sperm but if they are constantly breeding she really can't catch a break . Cutie might be better off away from the male so she won't be harassed. It sounds like you have an outdoor enclosure ?
Just to be clear, she usually does the harassing. She's always finding a way into his tank. That's why I kind of gave up trying to keep them apart.
I know this sound silly to ask, but keeping them apart will limit the amount of eggs she produces?
I think what confused me is the amount of unfertile eggs female beardies produce.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
They can still lay eggs if they don't mate but there is stress to both dragons when they constantly see each other. In the wild they could mate + go their separate ways, not so in captivity. The female has nutrients diverted from her own body to produce the huge amount of eggs, and fertile eggs are usually bigger. If a female is not bred, they might not lay eggs at all or they may less clutches.

adapa

Original Poster
Thank you @AHBD
that makes sense
In my defense, I do try and keep them separated, but they both seek each other out. I hang a curtain between their tanks & find they've moved the curtain & are staring at each other. I just turned around and found them meeting at the top of their tanks. Cutie is on the right. Bud's a bit on the grumpy side today.
beardies.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexreynolds
Top Bottom