3 month ongoing treatments not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beardie name(s)
Dominic
Hello,

Dominic - Bearded Dragon (10 months)
Homed from a private breeder (6 months old)

Enclosure: 4x2x2
Substrate: 50% ReptiCarpet, 50% Ceramic Tile
UV: 12% UV-B 24, 39W T5
Basking Bulb: 100W Spot Blub
Lights and heating on timer: 12h/12h.
Basking temp: 38-42C (100-110F)
Cool temp: 26C (80F)
Live food: Dubia Roaches. (Occasionally waxworms and locusts)
Vegetables: Wild Rocket (Arugula), Greens (Swiss chard), Butternut squash.

My 9-month-old bearded dragon has had a range of symptoms and treatments on and off for the last 3 months. He has had three courses of treatment for worms, flagellates and bacterial infection. Initially, his symptoms subside but then return within a few weeks.

It is hard to get much information from the Vet as we are not allowed to meet face to face due to current restrictions. It would be incredible if you could have a look over Dominic's history below and offer any thoughts as to why he isn't getting better or if there are suggestions I could offer to the vet.

Initial Symptoms (2-3 weeks)
Lethargic - slept most of day
Blood in poo/ urate
Significant decrease in appetite
Stopped growing in weight and length

1st Vet Visit - 19th Mach
Faecal examination - Diagnosed with worms and flagellates.
Given medication at visit: anti-worm (Panacur worming reptile) and anti-flagellate (Metronidazole - flagyl)

Symptoms subsided almost immediately for 1 week, grew in length and weight.
Symptoms then returned - Lethargic, decrease in appetite.

2nd Follow UpVist - 7th Apr (2 weeks later)
Faecal examination - Some worm eggs were still seen but a lower load of flagellates.
Assumed eggs were just remnants of previous treatment but medication provided in case - anti-worm (Panacur worming reptile
No medication provided for flagellates as deemed a safe and natural load.

Similarly to before: Symptoms subsided for 1 week then returned. Lethargic, decrease in appetite.

3rd Visit - 22nd Apr (2 weeks later)
Faecal examination - inconclusive as the sample was dried out.
Due to symptoms, given a 10-day course of Antibiotics (Marbocyl) and Anti-Flagellates (Metronidazole).
Was hoped a longer course would be more beneficial than one big dose at the visit.

Symptoms subsided during the course of treatment and a few days following.
Symptoms then returned but now every time he poos/ urate - there is blood.
This is the first time there has been blood since March.

Have started giving Dominic 'Reptoboost' as the strong anti-biotic effect could have affected his good gut bacteria.

Thanks,

Paul

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Does this have a reflector on it? UV: 12% UV-B 24, 39W T5 and where in the tank is it?

DominicTheDragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dominic
KarrieRee":1ygdonlo said:
Does this have a reflector on it? UV: 12% UV-B 24, 39W T5 and where in the tank is it?

Thanks KarrieRee,

The UV bulb does have a reflector. It is 85cm long and on the ceiling of the tank covering 3/4 of the length. The tank is solid wood tank so the light is not being diffused by a mesh top. The bulb is 40cm from the floor and 30cm from basking spot. Thanks,

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so the UVB is approx 12 inches from the basking spot -- thats good -- are you getting your temps w/ a digital probe thermometer? So everything sounds good -- lighting plays a big role in the over all health and behavior of the dragon and that includes keeping control over the parasites -- your basking bulb is it a bright white or off color yellowish bulb? Can you post pics of the tank and lighting so we can see if something is being missed please --- I am going to have Tracie look at your post in the mean time please post the meds she was put on and how much was given this will help Tracie- shes the vet tech mod on here late at nite

DominicTheDragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dominic
Thanks KarrieRee,

I measure temperature with a temperature gun but also have digital thermometers which read the same.
The basking bulb is more of a yellow colour and is connected to a thermostat.

See below the image of the enclosure. Where he is stood, under the cover tends to be where he sleeps or lays which at the moment is the majority of the day. Perhaps I should move this to the other side for a higher temperature?

His meds:
First Vet Visit - Single-dose Panacur Worming, Single-dose Metronidazole (Flagyl) - Unknown amounts.
Second Vet Visit - Single-dose Panacur Worming - Unknown amount.
Third Visit - Given:
- 5x Marbocyl 1% SA Oral. Instructed 0.15ml every other day for 10 days.
- 5x Metronidazole suspension. Instructed 0.2ml every other day for 10 days.

This week I have started giving him Reptoboost which includes an electrolyte, probiotic and energy.

full

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/26532/full

Thanks again,
Paul

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hes got a beautiful set up --I would change the basking bulb to a bright white one- I dont know if it will make a difference in the parasites coming and going but I have been told to use a bright white bulb no off color or yellowish color -- I am gonna flag this post to Tracie and see what she thinks is going on

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Paul,

Sorry your dragon is having a rough time!
Have any blood tests been done on him? The blood in the urate or stool is definitely
concerning. I am worried about the repeated use of the antibiotics, as they are hard on
their kidneys especially.
Which insects do you feed, or is he eating any right now?
What are his basking temperatures currently?
Your setup looks very nice, he is a lucky dragon!
My thoughts would be that he could either be having some kidney issues or maybe liver,
but not sure. A blood test would be helpful. What supplements are you giving?

Tracie

DominicTheDragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dominic
Thanks, Tracie,

Really appreciate your help, we have not had any blood tests but have another vet appointment booked for this coming Friday 4th. I will ask and also mention liver or kidneys.

On the phone, the vet instructed me to re-start giving him the anti-flagellates (Metronidazole) and anti-biotics (Marbocyl) every other day until the appointment next week. This was leftover from his previous treatment. I am giving probiotics daily.

He's eating Medium size Dubia Roaches - about 8 every other day.
His appetite picks up when he's on his meds - I read that they can increase appetite.

His basking temp: 38-42C (100-110F) but he was spending most of his day asleep or laying in his hide in the cool end. I have moved his hide to the warm end and I move him under his basking light a few times a day but he tends to hide again within a few hours.

Supplements:
-Reptile Systems - Calcium Ultra 99% Calcium Carbonate (Alternate feeding)
-Multivitamin - Nutrients, calcium, D3 & vitamines (Alternate feeding) https://www.komodoproducts.com/komodo-nutri-cal.html
- Bee Pollen - Every few weeks
- Recently started 'Reptoboost' Electrolyte, probiotic, energy drink. Drops on the nose, drink daily.

Thanks again,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom