3 month old beardie difficult eater

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeecaw

Beardie name(s)
Merlin
3 weeks ago I got a baby beardie and he’s now almost 3 months at 23.6g, which sounds like it’s on the low end. I’ve been offering dubia roaches but lately he’s been very picky about eating them, only doing so when I tong feed and capping at around 40 a day (won’t eat crickets or hornworms). He won’t eat them from the bowl when he would before - not sure if he’s just spoiled, but trying to out wait him hasn’t worked and I want him to start growing. He doesn’t look very different from when I first got him.

I got a fecal test and the vet said it looked perfect. He poops every day, is in a 4x2x2 zen habitats with a 24” t5 uvb with reflector under the screen which he can get within 9” of. I calcium dust with no d3 3-4 times a week, and with d3 2 times, plus 2 times for vitamins. I thought maybe the temps were low, so I added an 80w deep heat projector alongside his 150w basking bulb, which has his basking spot at 105-110, hot side 80-90, cold side around 75.

He’s been shedding his back and head the past week and I’m not sure if that’s why he’s being difficult, maybe he’s uncomfortable? But from what I’ve googled, babies usually still eat well while shedding. I’ve given him a few baths as well to help with the shedding. Just want to make sure he grows properly and not sure if this is normal!

Last edited:

mango_the_beardie

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Mango
3 weeks ago I got a baby beardie and he’s now almost 3 months at 23.6g, which sounds like it’s on the low end. I’ve been offering dubia roaches but lately he’s been very picky about eating them, only doing so when I tong feed and capping at around 40 a day (won’t eat crickets or hornworms). He won’t eat them from the bowl when he would before - not sure if he’s just spoiled, but trying to out wait him hasn’t worked and I want him to start growing. He doesn’t look very different from when I first got him.

I got a fecal test and the vet said it looked perfect. He poops every day, is in a 4x2x2 zen habitats with a 24” t5 uvb with reflector under the screen which he can get within 9” of. I calcium dust with no d3 3-4 times a week, and with d3 2 times, plus 2 times for vitamins. I thought maybe the temps were low, so I added an 80w deep heat projector alongside his 150w basking bulb, which has his basking spot at 105-110, hot side 80-90, cold side around 75.

He’s been shedding his back and head the past week and I’m not sure if that’s why he’s being difficult, maybe he’s uncomfortable? But from what I’ve googled, babies usually still eat well while shedding. I’ve given him a few baths as well to help with the shedding. Just want to make sure he grows properly and not sure if this is normal!
the problem is the uvb-
the size the uvb needs to be is a 30" at least for an 120 gallon which is what you have
and the average weight for a 3 month old is 20-110 grams so i'd say he's average

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
since your enclosure is a 4x2x2, either a 24" or 36" fixture will work. i've never seen one come in a 30"

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
Yeah there’s no t5 in a 30 inch fixture just like the previous post 24 or 36 is fine for your enclosure. What brand uvb are you using just so we know? When my guy shed regardless of age he always stopped eating for a while it’s not a big deal. When I started feeding black soldier fly larvae he really started growing.

Yeecaw

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Merlin
Yeah there’s no t5 in a 30 inch fixture just like the previous post 24 or 36 is fine for your enclosure. What brand uvb are you using just so we know? When my guy shed regardless of age he always stopped eating for a while it’s not a big deal. When I started feeding black soldier fly larvae he really started growing.

the hood is Reptisun and bulb is Arcadia

I’ve got some BSFL ordered so hoping that’ll inspire him to eat more!

Last edited:

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
watch with the BSFL when feeding. even the largest size is small so dragons will tend to gobble them whole without chewing. this will cause them to come out whole in poop. not a big deal health wise, but kind of a waste nutrition per dollar wise. you can slow that down by either hand feeding, or topping salads with them a couple at a time.

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
Good point hdochow I remember when my little guy was small it wasn’t a big deal because the worms seemed big for his little mouth lol. When he got bigger he would eat mouthfuls of them and I switched to a larger feeder but as long as he’s eating them and growing I think it’s worth it?

Yeecaw

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Merlin
He’s pretty small right now, I’m sure he’ll have to chew them!

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
Yeah he’ll be fine maybe start with like 10 or so see if he chews them well then give him some more until he’s full let him eat until he’s stopped eating them. I use to keep 2 water bottles in the freezer and keep them in a small cooler and rotate the bottles I used to get 2000 at a time which Sympton sends you 2400 to last for at least a month just don’t put them in the fridge it’s to cold they do good about 55 degrees if it’s warmer they’ll turn to flies quicker which my guys use to love chasing the flies around he was a maniac trying to catch them lol

Yeecaw

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Merlin
Yeah he’ll be fine maybe start with like 10 or so see if he chews them well then give him some more until he’s full let him eat until he’s stopped eating them. I use to keep 2 water bottles in the freezer and keep them in a small cooler and rotate the bottles I used to get 2000 at a time which Sympton sends you 2400 to last for at least a month just don’t put them in the fridge it’s to cold they do good about 55 degrees if it’s warmer they’ll turn to flies quicker which my guys use to love chasing the flies around he was a maniac trying to catch them lol
I actually already learned that lesson a few weeks…fridge definitely murdered them all rip :’(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom