3-4 M/O beardie with mild bleeding from cloaca

ArrowheadG

So I’ve had my beardie, Blaze, for about a month now. She doesn’t eat consistently due to her losing food in her enclosure and disliking being put in a different container to eat, but she’s not opposed to eating in itself. Her poops look normal when she eats fine, and not so normal when she doesn’t, but I didn’t think this was a huge concern as I was trying to find a solution to the problem pretty quickly. However, today when she pooped (I take her out of her enclosure to poop as she doesn’t like doing it in there, so I put her on a cloth and she goes) I wiped blood off her cloaca. It wasn’t much, just the tiniest bead that was also probably a mixture of normal fluid, but you could visibly tell it was blood. I was rather alarmed, still am, and I don’t know what to do. I didn’t think I’d need a vet visit so quickly, and I’ve been trying my absolute best to fix any problems that occur with her care, but I figured— before panicking— I should ask other keepers what the issue may be.

I feed her dubia roaches along with collard greens. Her basking temp reads 95 degrees, though I’m not sure if that’s correct as I have a strong bulb in there and the ‘thermometer’ is the cheap garbage that came with the kit I bought (been meaning to get a proper gauge). Her UVB is just a bulb, and I plan on replacing that soon, but I’m wondering if I need to replace it sooner than I thought. Her substrate is paper towel (recently switched from reptocarpet). She has a 40 gallon enclosure. She hasn’t suffered any sort of physical trauma, at least as far as I know. She is also actively starting to shed. She’s drinking water, will eat her food in the right conditions, etc. so this is the only issue that I’ve noticed (besides glass surfing, but when I take her out to go and run around a little, it seems to satisfy her). If it helps any, I got her from Petco.

Attachments

• 76035C47-9E59-478A-8C22-5587C7889ADB.jpeg
    76035C47-9E59-478A-8C22-5587C7889ADB.jpeg
    123 KB · Views: 116
  • 5B0D95C4-C2A0-450E-8E93-C322C264CD75.jpeg
    5B0D95C4-C2A0-450E-8E93-C322C264CD75.jpeg
    157 KB · Views: 81
  • DCC353EE-5AD4-40CC-8888-2697F4F02874.jpeg
    DCC353EE-5AD4-40CC-8888-2697F4F02874.jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 72

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So I’ve had my beardie, Blaze, for about a month now. She doesn’t eat consistently due to her losing food in her enclosure and disliking being put in a different container to eat, but she’s not opposed to eating in itself. Her poops look normal when she eats fine, and not so normal when she doesn’t, but I didn’t think this was a huge concern as I was trying to find a solution to the problem pretty quickly. However, today when she pooped (I take her out of her enclosure to poop as she doesn’t like doing it in there, so I put her on a cloth and she goes) I wiped blood off her cloaca. It wasn’t much, just the tiniest bead that was also probably a mixture of normal fluid, but you could visibly tell it was blood. I was rather alarmed, still am, and I don’t know what to do. I didn’t think I’d need a vet visit so quickly, and I’ve been trying my absolute best to fix any problems that occur with her care, but I figured— before panicking— I should ask other keepers what the issue may be.

I feed her dubia roaches along with collard greens. Her basking temp reads 95 degrees, though I’m not sure if that’s correct as I have a strong bulb in there and the ‘thermometer’ is the cheap garbage that came with the kit I bought (been meaning to get a proper gauge). Her UVB is just a bulb, and I plan on replacing that soon, but I’m wondering if I need to replace it sooner than I thought. Her substrate is paper towel (recently switched from reptocarpet). She has a 40 gallon enclosure. She hasn’t suffered any sort of physical trauma, at least as far as I know. She is also actively starting to shed. She’s drinking water, will eat her food in the right conditions, etc. so this is the only issue that I’ve noticed (besides glass surfing, but when I take her out to go and run around a little, it seems to satisfy her). If it helps any, I got her from Petco.
Surface basking temps should be 105-110 for a baby --- taken w/ a digital probe thermometer-- your UVB is a bulb? Can you post a pic of it please- is it a coil in a dome? You want a long tube fixture like this
Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO High Output Terrarium Hood a 24" fixture w/ a Reptisun 22" bulb Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO
this and the basking temps are going to help w/ the digestion --- please get this corrected as soon as you can --- babies can get impacted so quickly w/ incorrect feeding of insects and incorrect lighting and surface basking temps-- you can also look at PetSmart for this UVB if you have one where you live a 24 watt Arcadia ProT5 12% UVB Bulb With Hood
I would not let her out till she acclimates to her tank and surroundings --- she is so young you can lose her in a instant --
the blood may be a one time thing keep an eye on it ---
here is a website for nutrition Nutrition Content ignore the kale info it is outdated
you might want to get her some BSFL or nutri grubs they are a great staple for babies I would get medium for now they are a small larvae --- www.dubiaroaches.com use them as salad lures feed first thing in the morning in front of her -- feed as many as you want do not dust them but please dust the dubias your feeding --- they make a great compliment to the dubias your feeding - you can get some small super worms as well to feed w/ those salads feed them every other day 1-3 -- they are a treat worm -

ArrowheadG

Original Poster
Surface basking temps should be 105-110 for a baby --- taken w/ a digital probe thermometer-- your UVB is a bulb? Can you post a pic of it please- is it a coil in a dome? You want a long tube fixture like this
Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO High Output Terrarium Hood a 24" fixture w/ a Reptisun 22" bulb Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO
this and the basking temps are going to help w/ the digestion --- please get this corrected as soon as you can --- babies can get impacted so quickly w/ incorrect feeding of insects and incorrect lighting and surface basking temps-- you can also look at PetSmart for this UVB if you have one where you live a 24 watt Arcadia ProT5 12% UVB Bulb With Hood
I would not let her out till she acclimates to her tank and surroundings --- she is so young you can lose her in a instant --
the blood may be a one time thing keep an eye on it ---
here is a website for nutrition Nutrition Content ignore the kale info it is outdated
you might want to get her some BSFL or nutri grubs they are a great staple for babies I would get medium for now they are a small larvae --- www.dubiaroaches.com use them as salad lures feed first thing in the morning in front of her -- feed as many as you want do not dust them but please dust the dubias your feeding --- they make a great compliment to the dubias your feeding - you can get some small super worms as well to feed w/ those salads feed them every other day 1-3 -- they are a treat worm -
I’m fully aware that I need to change the heating and UVB, just thought I could wait a little longer to fix it, but it seems I have a Petco trip to make today.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I’m fully aware that I need to change the heating and UVB, just thought I could wait a little longer to fix it, but it seems I have a Petco trip to make today.
Yes those things I posted are the MOST important things in the tank -- the newspaper is fine for now - you can look into getting some textured NON adhesive shelf liner for the tank -- cut to the size of the tank insects cannot get underneath it --- clean w/ vinegar / water and wipe w/ a clean wet cloth afterwards-- as far as a basking bulb please make sure its a clear bright white basking bulb like a Zoo Med Repti basking -- Exo Terra Intense bulb -- Arcadia Halogen or a Flukers please NO daytime bulbs they have a coating on them that is bad for the eyes

ArrowheadG

Original Poster
Yes those things I posted are the MOST important things in the tank -- the newspaper is fine for now - you can look into getting some textured NON adhesive shelf liner for the tank -- cut to the size of the tank insects cannot get underneath it --- clean w/ vinegar / water and wipe w/ a clean wet cloth afterwards-- as far as a basking bulb please make sure its a clear bright white basking bulb like a Zoo Med Repti basking -- Exo Terra Intense bulb -- Arcadia Halogen or a Flukers please NO daytime bulbs they have a coating on them that is bad for the eyes
Heating and lighting has been fixed! I want to upgrade to tile once I get a bigger enclosure for her, with a digging spot somewhere in the tank, but I’d assume that’s nothing I should hurry on

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Heating and lighting has been fixed! I want to upgrade to tile once I get a bigger enclosure for her, with a digging spot somewhere in the tank, but I’d assume that’s nothing I should hurry on
Ok so what is the uvb you have and the screen on the tank is a fine screen mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type? The distance and placement is going to be determined by your screen - I would get everything else up to par for now I can help w/ that-

ArrowheadG

Original Poster
Ok so what is the uvb you have and the screen on the tank is a fine screen mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type? The distance and placement is going to be determined by your screen - I would get everything else up to par for now I can help w/ that-
It’s kind of a mixture? An in-between (though maybe I don’t know what you mean by ‘wide holes’

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The blood is very slight but can be caused by heavy loads of worms or parasites, or simply
just some harder urates. Do you know how hard the urates were? Those can cause irritation
which could lead to some blood.
As Karrie was asking, regarding the size of the holes on your mesh screen, that is important to
know since the very fine screen/mesh top can greatly diminish & block the UVB strength. Where
as the wider holes on a screen/mesh top allows for more UVB to come through.

Tracie

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom