2y old beardie developing follicles

Oh my gosh thanks for sharing! Hope all your babies are doing well now

This is very helpful information, I will keep these notes in mind. She went to vet in sep almost a month ago and doesn't look that bloated or showing any unusual signs, maybe just grumpy that I cut her insects down a bit. I gave her roaches on Friday for a change but she will be back on BSFL tomorrow (tuesday) which is her main feeder. Otherwise it's heaps of salad daily with a bit of multivitamin or calcium w/o d3 😋 definitely no dip in appetite as of yet really but occasional small bouts of digging around. I think she's only glass surfed once in the last three weeks if that. Not sure what to expect from her but she seems healthy really 🤔 maybe a little lazier than usual but not anything too worrying
It also might be the change in weather coming, depending on where you live. Mine is lazier than normal. So it's like he is trying to brumate and just sleep. So I wake him up and love on him.

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
It also might be the change in weather coming, depending on where you live. Mine is lazier than normal. So it's like he is trying to brumate and just sleep. So I wake him up and love on

It also might be the change in weather coming, depending on where you live. Mine is lazier than normal. So it's like he is trying to brumate and just sleep. So I wake him up and love on him.
Yes that makes sense 😁 it is warming up here in Australia but not by a lot just yet- the rain on the other hand though has been non-stop. I do take Charlie out for a cuddle too if she's being lazy, she doesn't seem to mind and I'd almost say she quite enjoys it judging by how her colours light up

Jessss

This is very helpful information, I will keep these notes in mind. She went to vet in sep almost a month ago and doesn't look that bloated or showing any unusual signs, maybe just grumpy that I cut her insects down a bit. I gave her roaches on Friday for a change but she will be back on BSFL tomorrow (tuesday) which is her main feeder. Otherwise it's heaps of salad daily with a bit of multivitamin or calcium w/o d3 😋 definitely no dip in appetite as of yet really but occasional small bouts of digging around. I think she's only glass surfed once in the last three weeks if that. Not sure what to expect from her but she seems healthy really 🤔 maybe a little lazier than usual but not anything too worrying
Thank you! All my monkeys are doing well now :) my only other note to watch out for is after she’s laid.Honey laid 2 clutches back to back without a break (I’m not sure how normal it is for them to do this) and it took such a toll on her health and weight! It still amazes me how skinny/weak she was after the second clutch,since then she’s been on Repashy beardie buffet 2-3 times a week (I normally make a batch that lasts her 3 feedings then she’ll have a break of about 4-5 days to let her clear her system out).This has helped her put the weight back on and because of her MBD normally she can’t eat a lot of things but this is perfect texture for her! Worth the try if needed but may not need it as many times a week as mine.

Have you sorted a lay box out for her at all? All dragons will use/need a good lay box,honey was provided one and she spent HOURS digging but decided to lay her eggs in the same corner of her viv both times!
Sounds like she’s doing well and you’ve got everything how it should be :) she’s beautiful btw! And looks very healthy not bloated either,before bee was spayed she looked like she was gonna blow!
Please keep us updated on your girl,are you still taking her back to vets for check up? Also agree that the weather may be the reason for being more sleepy,all my guys are getting ready to bunker down ❤️

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Thank you! All my monkeys are doing well now :) my only other note to watch out for is after she’s laid.Honey laid 2 clutches back to back without a break (I’m not sure how normal it is for them to do this) and it took such a toll on her health and weight! It still amazes me how skinny/weak she was after the second clutch,since then she’s been on Repashy beardie buffet 2-3 times a week (I normally make a batch that lasts her 3 feedings then she’ll have a break of about 4-5 days to let her clear her system out).This has helped her put the weight back on and because of her MBD normally she can’t eat a lot of things but this is perfect texture for her! Worth the try if needed but may not need it as many times a week as mine.

Have you sorted a lay box out for her at all? All dragons will use/need a good lay box,honey was provided one and she spent HOURS digging but decided to lay her eggs in the same corner of her viv both times!
Sounds like she’s doing well and you’ve got everything how it should be :) she’s beautiful btw! And looks very healthy not bloated either,before bee was spayed she looked like she was gonna blow!
Please keep us updated on your girl,are you still taking her back to vets for check up? Also agree that the weather may be the reason for being more sleepy,all my guys are getting ready to bunker down ❤️
Aw charlie says thanks hehe -- I thought of getting Charlie repashy as a Christmas treat LOL might be worth having on hand sooner maybe

I couldn't find a good size box so I got her a pot instead- she fits in it quite comfortably and I made it several inches deep with peat moss and play sand mix, she might dig around it once in awhile but not often

I do notice she's been hiding more than usual lately, (but was out under the heat yesterday) her appetite has not diminished at all and her weight and presentation remains pretty much the same. I will take her for the scheduled check up in Nov, only just because I know Dec will be a busy month for them so it might be a little harder to make the appointment then

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Small update: took her to the vet for follow up and did ultrasound- the follicles are well developed but don't have shells yet. The vet said they look big and healthy and she doesn't see anything concerning (no free moving fluid or follicles that look odd) - but still wants me to take her back next month to see if the shells are forming

We talked about surgery to spay and I said I'd rather not. She said it may be something to weigh out as it's safer to spay a healthy dragon than one who is sick, but she said it's completely reasonable to not want to opt for the spay. I said no I don't wish for this because I feel like less is more and if she's healthy then no need, but I'd be happy to check again in a month

She seems a bit slow to pass poop this week and is acting a bit lazy but otherwise her behaviour isn't too abnormal considering she's also going into a shed which usually makes her a little moody anyhow

Do you give her Calcium, Calcium w/D3, Multivitamin and Bee Pollen? Bee Pollen is a everyday use. I have a schedule of how you should give them throughout the week if you need that info. You can add me on FB under Ann Kohanow.

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Do you give her Calcium, Calcium w/D3, Multivitamin and Bee Pollen? Bee Pollen is a everyday use. I have a schedule of how you should give them throughout the week if you need that info. You can add me on FB under Ann Kohanow.
Hi there, yes I was giving her both but the D3 only 2-3x week, I'd use calcium without D3 in between but the vet suggested to up her D3 to ensure she utilises her calcium to make the shells so I've started the multi daily on salads. I give bee pollen also.

The vet ultrasound showed healthy follicles and a poop which.. it's been 9 days now since she's pooped so she's overdue to let that one out- I've been giving her 2x daily baths to try to get her to pass but she's being stubborn

I don't have Facebook =( Could you dm me the schedule here ? Thanks for the help!

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Here she is basking... and ignoring her food bowl to deliberately stare at me expecting bugs (which it wasn't her bug day so unfortunately she sat there and stared for awhile 😂)
20221110_084547.jpg
20221108_121535.jpg
20221108_121451.jpg

This is the best route to go for the supplements. Get a probiotic powder that helps with the digestive issues. You can also try a syringe with water to make sure you get some hydration in her. I had to take my beardie to the vet because previous husbandry was bad. Her temps were off for him and if they don't bask long enough or close enough to the basking light their food won't digest properly. My dragon had to get help to poop and it was all dead dubia roaches, his urates were hard and chalky and he was severely dehydrated.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220907_220145.jpg
    Screenshot_20220907_220145.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 61

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
So update, lately she is hiding more. She has dug maybe once or twice in last two weeks but no more. Appetite still pretty strong and poops/urates look good. If I take her out during the day she is curious and does seem to want to explore, but when in her enclosure she will hide behind the dig pot. No eggs yet.

She has a vet visit this week to check ghe follicles again. Her abdomen isn't really big or anything. She's had the follicles since September so I'm not sure if she will lay at this point or not? I'm a little worried. If we are going to spay it has to be something we decide on Friday because of the Christmas period coming up, it will be much harder to address if it becomes an issue. Fingers crossed the follicles show some sort of resolving so we won't have to worry anymore it's something I worry about every day for last 3 months 😮‍💨

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Keep us posted, hopefully everything comes out ok.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl doing? She is definitely a pretty little dragon!
If she has had follicles for that long, chances are she could be reabsorbing them as a lot of
them tend to do. She should have already shelled them & gotten ready to lay them if she was
going to.
Have you been giving extra calcium?
Let us know how the vet appointment on friday goes!

Tracie

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Hello,

How is your girl doing? She is definitely a pretty little dragon!
If she has had follicles for that long, chances are she could be reabsorbing them as a lot of
them tend to do. She should have already shelled them & gotten ready to lay them if she was
going to.
Have you been giving extra calcium?
Let us know how the vet appointment on friday goes!

Tracie
Hi Tracie, I do give her dusting on every salad, and occasionally on the BSFL (since they are already nutrient dense) she doesn't show any signs she's gonna lay to be honest. I'm considering going for the spay if she proves to be still holding onto the follicles. It seems safest thing to do while she's healthy otherwise but I'll know for sure one way or another this Friday 🙂

Hi Tracie, I do give her dusting on every salad, and occasionally on the BSFL (since they are already nutrient dense) she doesn't show any signs she's gonna lay to be honest. I'm considering going for the spay if she proves to be still holding onto the follicles. It seems safest thing to do while she's healthy otherwise but I'll know for sure one way or another this Friday 

Be cautious about spaying. They do not do well like other pets under anesthesia.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom