2 year old stepped on our bearded dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.
We let the bearded dragons out to run around and my 2 year old stepped on one of them… he ran and then puffed his chest up and did a little hiss type of puff with his beard.. his beard did not change color but he did the hiss beard puff a hand full of times.. we put him back In the tank and he’s eating but when we go to pet him he does the hiss beard puff… I’s that because he’s scared or should I get him into a vet? He’s moving around like he’s fine but I’m still worried.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
We let the bearded dragons out to run around and my 2 year old stepped on one of them… he ran and then puffed his chest up and did a little hiss type of puff with his beard.. his beard did not change color but he did the hiss beard puff a hand full of times.. we put him back In the tank and he’s eating but when we go to pet him he does the hiss beard puff… I’s that because he’s scared or should I get him into a vet? He’s moving around like he’s fine but I’m still worried.
He was traumatized please watch for black bearding - normal behavior its good hes eating - you said one of them so I am assuming there is another one? Please keep them separated - do you know what sexes they are? If they are both males they will fight and it wont be a good outcome so please dont let them out together any more - male and female they will breed so if you dont want babies dont let them out together either - dragons are territorial and dont get along to well together keep an eye on him in the next day or so and see what he does - its going to take a while for him to get over the being stepped on - and for your little guy I would keep him away or watch him very closely when you have the dragons out - maybe not have the dragon on the floor :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor little one. Definitely keep an eye on his mobility, his coloring of his body & his beard because a dark beard can indicate
pain or stress.
Do you have any pictures of him you could post?
Since he has puffed his beard out or hissing, he is most likely just stressed from what has happened to him so you should let
him try to get back to normal. If he continues to act stressed & if he doesn't eat, it would probably be a good idea to take him to
the vet to be sure he isn't injured.
Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

acunningham3303

Original Poster
He was traumatized please watch for black bearding - normal behavior its good hes eating - you said one of them so I am assuming there is another one? Please keep them separated - do you know what sexes they are? If they are both males they will fight and it wont be a good outcome so please dont let them out together any more - male and female they will breed so if you dont want babies dont let them out together either - dragons are territorial and dont get along to well together keep an eye on him in the next day or so and see what he does - its going to take a while for him to get over the being stepped on - and for your little guy I would keep him away or watch him very closely when you have the dragons out - maybe not have the dragon on the floor :)

acunningham3303

Original Poster
I did a lot of reading and that’s what I found weird.. there was no color to his beard… it just puffed a little..he has been running around the tank and eating like normal. He’s really happy it seems with the live bugs. We took him out a couple times and gave him lots of love. He even took a bath yesterday..He doesn’t seem scared of the kids at all even after that happened… he will snuggle in their arms and fall asleep…I’m a first time bearded dragon owner and I feel like he gets bored in the tank so I try to take him out when ever I’m not busy with the little ones. Yes we have 2… the lady we got them from said they were born together so she didn’t wanna separate them. They seem to get along really well so far.. I’m not sure of their gender 😩 She said the genders can change..we have an appointment with the vet in a couple days so I’ll know more soon.

acunningham3303

Original Poster
Hello,

Poor little one. Definitely keep an eye on his mobility, his coloring of his body & his beard because a dark beard can indicate
pain or stress.
Since he has puffed his beard out or hissing, he is most likely just stressed from what has happened to him so you should let
him try to get back to normal. If he continues to act stressed & if he doesn't eat, it would probably be a good idea to take him to
Tracie
Hi! I know I felt so bad! I called the vet and just started crying! He has been moving around and eating like normal.. his color hasn’t changed at all and the weird thing is his beard never turned black he just puffed it. Yes I do have pictures 😍. He acts like nothing happened but I kept his appointment just to be sure nothing internally happened. We just got our bug box today and he seemed pretty intrigued! I have a couple questions.. I’m a first time breaded dragon owner and I was wondering what kind of things do they enjoy to do? I have read bathing but when I put them in water they just stay super still and their belly’s go flat. Is their toys or anything I can get for them? Do they play? I apologize if I sound like a weirdo!! I just want them to be happy!

acunningham3303

Original Poster
Hello,

pain or stress.
Tracie

Attachments

• 1ADE4DC4-2CB4-45E9-8858-D2E70DA1B74D.jpeg
    1ADE4DC4-2CB4-45E9-8858-D2E70DA1B74D.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 99

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
some like baths, some don't. too much bathing can be bad though because it dries their scales out.

from what I've read, they don't really play or use toys. i'm sure there's an exception out there though. ours likes to run around the office floor and his absolute favorite thing to do is sit in the window and watch the world go by. i swear he'd stay there all day if i let him!

fear not! we are ALL weirdos around here :ROFLMAO:

acunningham3303

Original Poster
some like baths, some don't. too much bathing can be bad though because it dries their scales out.

from what I've read, they don't really play or use toys. i'm sure there's an exception out there though. ours likes to run around the office floor and his absolute favorite thing to do is sit in the window and watch the world go by. i swear he'd stay there all day if i let him!

fear not! we are ALL weirdos around here :ROFLMAO:

acunningham3303

Original Poster
Is once a week to much for the bathing? How about how long? After about 5 min I take them out. I was trying to let them run around and the poor thing got stopped on so I’m afraid to let them… I’m gonna ah e to get like a baby gate play yard or something so they are safe but still have room to explore..letting them check out the window is a good idea! When I was trying to rush him to the vet before it closed (I didn’t make it :( ) he was trying to get to the window..he seems very alert…the other one we have is a bit tiny compared to him and the lady we got them from said they were born together..the tiny one seems way more relaxed.. any time we get it out it snuggles up and falls asleep… now the bigger one is on the move checking everything out before he relaxes and snuggles up.
The world would be borning with out the weird! ❤️

Attachments

• 0CBE63BA-3B9B-4E21-984F-DE36227E6C1F.jpeg
    0CBE63BA-3B9B-4E21-984F-DE36227E6C1F.jpeg
    194.1 KB · Views: 89

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
Is once a week to much for the bathing? How about how long? After about 5 min I take them out. I was trying to let them run around and the poor thing got stopped on so I’m afraid to let them… I’m gonna ah e to get like a baby gate play yard or something so they are safe but still have room to explore..letting them check out the window is a good idea! When I was trying to rush him to the vet before it closed (I didn’t make it :( ) he was trying to get to the window..he seems very alert…the other one we have is a bit tiny compared to him and the lady we got them from said they were born together..the tiny one seems way more relaxed.. any time we get it out it snuggles up and falls asleep… now the bigger one is on the move checking everything out before he relaxes and snuggles up.
The world would be borning with out the weird! ❤️
i think that's fine. henry doesn't like them much so he usually only gets baths when he gets poop or bug guts on himself. he will swim around just a little, but then it is obvious when he is ready to get out. he tries to jump out of the tub. i think time will depend on your beardie and then of course you don't want the water to get too cold either.

sometimes i swear they are like toddlers! you have to pay attention to all the little details of the room they are loose in. henry's confined to our office so he's out with the doors closed while we are doing our schoolwork. it is easier to keep that one room dragon-proofed than the entire house.

here's henry in his traffic watching spot!

270070779_335799541480243_4691890242833139752_n.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He looks very perky there so he should be just fine but, continue to watch him for any strange behavioral changes. I think if he isn't
showing any injury or black bearding by now, then he is likely in the clear.
Let us know how things are going.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello , im still figureing out this platform,
So violet laid eggs, weeks ago, she was doing very well , in the last 3 to 4 days her poop was more than runny . Haven't changed much in her diet , an appetite is very good. Should I be considering a parasites remedy as she does get bloated as soon as she starts to eat.
My baby beardie likes to sit in their water bowl. I'm curious on whether it would hurt them or not.
Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zayart
Top Bottom