2 unexpected eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive just come home to find Nancy has laid 2 eggs, i wondered why she wasnt eating as normal and now i know why. How many eggs can i expect and over how long? any tips and advice will be greatfully received.
Photo-0115.jpg

jeitzen

Juvie Member
Is she trying to get out or seem like she is digging excessively? You should offer her a nesting area or laybox. I use play sand mixed with water to a "sand castle" consistency. They will usually become finicky and restless when they need to lay their clutch.

They can lay anywhere from 10 to 35 eggs at a time. Females can also lay infertile clutches with out being in contact with a male 3-5 times a year, not all do, but its possible.

hayl55

Juvie Member
personally ( though I am no expert) yoru eggs dont appear to be fertile..is se a single female that hasnthad contact with a male, or was se mated? but as posted above, you shoudl offer her a lay box..some sort of damp dirt/sand/soil mixture will work.

carmallarm

Hatchling Member
I agree that the eggs don't seem to be fertile, due to the yellowish coloration. My first Beardie laid a bunch of infertile eggs (she's never been bred), and they all looked yellow like that, and were kind of small and hard (not like rock, just more doughy than squishy). For comparison's sake my current Beardie just laid a clutch which I'm 99% sure is fertile. All the eggs were large (1 inch long) and white, with a pinkish spot on top, and felt like loose water balloons.

In any case, definitely provide your female with a dig box, because whether the eggs are fertile or not, they need to come out. Do you feel any more eggs in her belly? If you probe gently with your fingers, you should be able to feel her belly, which in an egg-less condition should be soft and squishy. If there are more eggs in there, you'll be able to feel them. Just don't poke too hard, because ruptured eggs are a serious medical issue.

btw, female Bearded Dragons who are not bred will occasionally lay a few (2-3) infertile eggs at random times (a couple times a year, every 2-3 years, etc.), so there's nothing to worry about. It's normal for them. :wink:

Barnstormer

Original Poster
she has now laid 10 eggs in total and i have provided her with a box in which she can lay, and she has her appetite back, i think there may be some more to come as she is still digging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom