2 new 4'*2'*2' enclosures, questions about Mercury Vapor, and more...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seph321

I'm building a stack of Base-Tank-Hood-Tank-Hood out of 3/4" birch ply for my daughters 2 beardies, 1M, 1F, each around 16 months old.
(2) 4'*2'*2' tanks, (1) 4'*1'*2' base and (2) 4'*1'*2' hoods (7' tall)

Not seeing Mercury Vapor bulbs discussed much, I'm looking at a 100w clear lucky herp MV UVB for each tank during the day, along with some form of constant radiant heat, the room they're going to be in is low 60's. I'll have room for one more light, likely just a daytime/plant bulb. They're moving from a warmer upstairs room with a smaller tank, so I'll just be replacing everything as far as lighting and heating go.

Does this sound like an appropriate starting point for lighting and heating?
How far from the 100W MV bulb should the basking spot optimally be?

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I'm building a stack of Base-Tank-Hood-Tank-Hood out of 3/4" birch ply for my daughters 2 beardies, 1M, 1F, each around 16 months old.
(2) 4'*2'*2' tanks, (1) 4'*1'*2' base and (2) 4'*1'*2' hoods (7' tall)

Not seeing Mercury Vapor bulbs discussed much, I'm looking at a 100w clear lucky herp MV UVB for each tank during the day, along with some form of constant radiant heat, the room they're going to be in is low 60's. I'll have room for one more light, likely just a daytime/plant bulb. They're moving from a warmer upstairs room with a smaller tank, so I'll just be replacing everything as far as lighting and heating go.

Does this sound like an appropriate starting point for lighting and heating?
How far from the 100W MV bulb should the basking spot optimally be?
Please look at this website for lighting --- others can guide you on it as well -- another UVB should be added to supplement what the MVB will not emit --- we often recommend a long tube fixture -- its on the website I posted

Seph321

Original Poster
Yup! I've read that one, and several others, and they all say a MVB is a better choice for larger enclosures, especially if they have decent ventilation and need the extra heat, which mine do. Haven't seen one suggest a supplemental uvb source though.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yup! I've read that one, and several others, and they all say a MVB is a better choice for larger enclosures, especially if they have decent ventilation and need the extra heat, which mine do. Haven't seen one suggest a supplemental uvb source though.
We usually do because the MVB do not emit enough UVB -- its good to have them have that option -- did you see the MVB's that were recommended ?

Seph321

Original Poster
We usually do because the MVB do not emit enough UVB -- its good to have them have that option -- did you see the MVB's that were recommended ?
Yes, I was looking at the mega ray. It seemed like a better choice since I needed the heat anyways, and from what I've read, it provides more, or even too much uvb, but the shape is wrong and too concentrated. I'll take a look at my plans, the fluorescent might be doable, but I definitely don't want it inside the tank, hopefully a 36" 12% arcadia will be enough sitting above.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes, I was looking at the mega ray. It seemed like a better choice since I needed the heat anyways, and from what I've read, it provides more, or even too much uvb, but the shape is wrong and too concentrated. I'll take a look at my plans, the fluorescent might be doable, but I definitely don't want it inside the tank, hopefully a 36" 12% arcadia will be enough sitting above.
If your going to have it on top of the screen you might want to go w/ the 14% bulb then they are stronger --- we need either Brandon or CooperDragon to put their input on this

Seph321

Original Poster
What would you suggest for heating if I try to switch to T5HO?
If your going to have it on top of the screen you might want to go w/ the 14% bulb then they are stronger --- we need either Brandon or CooperDragon to put their input on this
Would likely build a spot in for it to mount, unscreened, but still sitting on the top of the tank. (Appreciate the replies!)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What would you suggest for heating if I try to switch to T5HO?

Would likely build a spot in for it to mount, unscreened, but still sitting on the top of the tank. (Appreciate the replies!)
The mega ray is a great heat bulb - the T 5 does not emit heat

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you go with the T5 for UVB, I'd just use a halogen or incandescent flood light for heat rather than an MVB. There are a lot of options available and most of them handle dimming/adjustment pretty well for fine tuning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom