160W Mercury Vapor bulb not producing enough heat?

greengardenhose

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Glenn
Thanks again all for the help! I did go ahead and buy a new screen with the wide hole along with the repti-sun uvb fixture and 10.0 bulb and a fluker basking bulb and clamp fixture w/ dimmer!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thanks again all for the help! I did go ahead and buy a new screen with the wide hole along with the repti-sun uvb fixture and 10.0 bulb and a fluker basking bulb and clamp fixture w/ dimmer!
Ok decor piece directly under it 8-10 inches please-- watch his behavior-- let me know how it goes

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
Good luck.
I was curious if you can add a 80W MVB with what you guys are talking about.
The Reptisun but have it be the 14" fixture t5 10.0

What do you guys think?
Sorry for kinda going off topic.

Or would it be ideal to eventually switch over from mvbs like the Original poster?
& get a basking bulb.?

EDIT:
BTW, what size basking bulb did you get @greengardenhose for your bearded dragon?

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Good luck.
I was curious if you can add a 80W MVB with what you guys are talking about.
The Reptisun but have it be the 14" fixture t5 10.0

What do you guys think?
Sorry for kinda going off topic.

Or would it be ideal to eventually switch over from mvbs like the Original poster?
& get a basking bulb.?

EDIT:
BTW, what size basking bulb did you get @greengardenhose for your bearded dragon?
You only need one good UVB and one good basking bulb- MVB's are good for heat but not so much on the UVB - if your using a MVB on top of a screen and not unobstructed the screen will block out 30% of those rays- so w/ a T 5 in the tank that is better and using both the MVB and T 5 its a waste of money cuz your paying alot for that MVB- they are spendy - I would stick w/ a T 5 appropriately sized for your tank - they recommend 2/3 of the tank I recommend half the tank - so if your using a 40 gallon 24" is good nothing smaller - the 24" is good for a 120 gallon as well anything bigger you want a longer fixture--- different wattage basking bulbs need to have the temps taken w/a digital probe thermometer - you want the wattage thats going to keep temps certain temps for babies and adult dragons-

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
Okay.
You only need one good UVB and one good basking bulb- MVB's are good for heat but not so much on the UVB - if your using a MVB on top of a screen and not unobstructed the screen will block out 30% of those rays- so w/ a T 5 in the tank that is better and using both the MVB and T 5 its a waste of money cuz your paying alot for that MVB- they are spendy - I would stick w/ a T 5 appropriately sized for your tank - they recommend 2/3 of the tank I recommend half the tank - so if your using a 40 gallon 24" is good nothing smaller - the 24" is good for a 120 gallon as well anything bigger you want a longer fixture--- different wattage basking bulbs need to have the temps taken w/a digital probe thermometer - you want the wattage thats going to keep temps certain temps for babies and adult dragons-
Yeah the Exo Terra model is expensive.
I'll get what your talking about
Thanks

What about using the bulbs I have left
I have some MVBs left from my previous dragon that still have life..

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Okay.

Yeah the Exo Terra model is expensive.
I'll get what your talking about
Thanks

What about using the bulbs I have left
I have some MVBs left from my previous dragon that still have life..
What brand? Did they cause issues w/ the dragon then?

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
What brand? Did they cause issues w/ the dragon then?
Exo Terra Solar Glo.
Didn't cause too many issues.
There were some eye issues
& some refusal to bask..

I only used them for about 4 months each.
You'd think they would last longer.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Exo Terra Solar Glo.
Didn't cause too many issues.
There were some eye issues
& some refusal to bask..

I only used them for about 4 months each.
You'd think they would last longer.
I wouldnt use them then-- stick w/ the good brands if your going to use them -- Power Sun or Mega Ray- Solar Glo are supposed to be good but your not the only one that I heard having / had issues w/them -- good regular basking bulbs like Flukers - Exo Terra Intense - or Arcadia Halogen are good ones - Flukers are the most reasonable - I haft to order mine from Pet Mountain but have had shipping issues w/ them getting here broke- they had to do some reprimanding w/ their shipping people - I was getting bulbs packed really good and some w/ no packing at all -- go figure on that one --

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
I wouldnt use them then-- stick w/ the good brands if your going to use them -- Power Sun or Mega Ray- Solar Glo are supposed to be good but your not the only one that I heard having / had issues w/them -- good regular basking bulbs like Flukers - Exo Terra Intense - or Arcadia Halogen are good ones - Flukers are the most reasonable - I haft to order mine from Pet Mountain but have had shipping issues w/ them getting here broke- they had to do some reprimanding w/ their shipping people - I was getting bulbs packed really good and some w/ no packing at all -- go figure on that one --
Okay I will get them from pet mountain.
I mean if you guys stand behind them 95% I'll make the switch.
I did have some problems with the solar glo's

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Okay I will get them from pet mountain.
I mean if you guys stand behind them 95% I'll make the switch.
I did have some problems with the solar glo's
I like the Flukers bulbs- I have not had any issues w/ them so far - Exo Terra are iffy- I have used them for a long time and have gotten duds every one does - I havent used Arcadias but have had others use them and like them so ---

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom