160W Mercury Vapor bulb not producing enough heat?

Beardie name(s)
Glenn
Hi guys,

New beardie owner here. We purchased an all-in-one 40 gallon tank kit that came with a 160w Exo-Terra Solar Glo mercury vapor bulb that is supposed to provide uvb and heat without the need for a second basking/heat lamp.

That said, I just checked the temp using an infrared temp gun and the temperatures when scanning my beardie’s basking stone ranged from 69-71.6 degrees. When checking the colder side of the terrarium the temp gun showed a temp of 63 degrees.

The basking stone is about 12 1/2 inches from the bulb. Could my bulb be faulty? Should I buy another? Do you guys recommend mercury vapor bulbs at all or should I gowith the traditional two bluv uvb bulb+heat bulb combo? any other decor recommended?

I’ve attached pix of my super simple set up below along with - pic of the box the bulb came in. Brand recommendations for bulbs welcomed. Thanks!
2AEECE26-A4EB-4750-95BA-AB6F9309C922.jpeg
1051E0FA-9605-4D16-ACA4-4B8EEDF0ACC5.jpeg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi guys,

New beardie owner here. We purchased an all-in-one 40 gallon tank kit that came with a 160w Exo-Terra Solar Glo mercury vapor bulb that is supposed to provide uvb and heat without the need for a second basking/heat lamp.

That said, I just checked the temp using an infrared temp gun and the temperatures when scanning my beardie’s basking stone ranged from 69-71.6 degrees. When checking the colder side of the terrarium the temp gun showed a temp of 63 degrees.

The basking stone is about 12 1/2 inches from the bulb. Could my bulb be faulty? Should I buy another? Do you guys recommend mercury vapor bulbs at all or should I gowith the traditional two bluv uvb bulb+heat bulb combo? any other decor recommended?

I’ve attached pix of my super simple set up below along with - pic of the box the bulb came in. Brand recommendations for bulbs welcomed. Thanks! View attachment 75880 View attachment 75881
Please get 2 digital probe thermometers - ir guns are handy but can be off the digital is going to be more accurate - your going to want another uvb a long tube fixture-- mvb 's are good for heat not so much on uvb- I can post links for good uvb's- but this is strongly recommended - I would get a accurate surface basking temp and we can go from there-- PetSmart or Petco has the zoo med digital probe thermometers

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
That don't sound right.
I use a 125W mercury vapor bulb about that distance and I'd get about 100degrees

Now have you checked your thermostat in your house.?
Have you made sure you have a proper device to measure heat specifically on the basking rock?

70 degrees don't sound right for basking.
It could be the screen man.
Usually I don't get a bad MVB..It could be faulty
I have had fault Solar glos.

That bulb should be producing enough heat.

greengardenhose

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Glenn
Thanks KarrieRee. I’ll drop by Petsmart later today to get those digital thermometers.

Thanks as well SkittlesK. I really do think I might have a bad MVB. If the temps come out the same I may just go the two bulb route. If either of you have recommendations on what basking and uvb bulbs to buy I’m all ears!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thanks KarrieRee. I’ll drop by Petsmart later today to get those digital thermometers.

Thanks as well SkittlesK. I really do think I might have a bad MVB. If the temps come out the same I may just go the two bulb route. If either of you have recommendations on what basking and uvb bulbs to buy I’m all ears!
Yes I can post here in a bit for you

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I will post what is good - dome uvb's are no good
Here are some good UVB's fixtures w/ bulbs - I would get a 24" fixture for the tank you have now and it can go into a bigger tank down the road up to a 120 gallon or 4x2x2
Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO High Output Terrarium Hood you will need to change the bulb out to a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb this will come w/ a 5.0 bulb good for small tanks Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO High Output Fluorescent Bulb
or this one can be found at Pet Smart 24 watt you want the 12% bulb Arcadia Reptile ProT5 UV-B Kit | reptile Light Fixtures | PetSmart you can also order it on line
or this one you will need to change the bulb out to the Reptisun posted above
you want the 2 ft or 24" fixture https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster-nanotech-t5-ho-fixture-with-6400k-lamp.html
you can use basking bulbs like Flukers - Exo Terra Intense -- or Arcadia Halogen bulbs - but make sure your using the digital probe thermometers to get those surface basking temps- how old is the dragon? And I do see the stress marks on him -

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
MVB bulbs are more advanced in a way..All in one bulbs.

I had problems with temperature reading when I started Skittles W/ the MVB
It was rough(My problem was the bulb was too close and it got too hot)
I'm thinking about switching over to what KarrieRee is talking about.

greengardenhose

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Glenn
Hi KarrieRee,

Thanks for those links! I think I am leaning towards buying the Zoo Mee ReptiSun T5 HO fixture along with the 10.0 bulb. Is that and the basking bulbs just placed on top of the terrarium’s screen? So when i feed or do anything with the tank I have to remove all of the lights laying on top?

My dragon is atleast about 21/2 months old but i think anbit older. He measures about a little over a foot in length in my estimation. Here’s a closer poc of him. His head is gray fro what I think might be the shedding process
6338E1CB-1935-4F94-B576-CED0B5B685B0.jpeg
129110F6-784E-4B25-A8FE-F925DD989DA6.jpeg
AA06FE85-05C1-4FD8-B929-4507012DCFDB.jpeg

greengardenhose

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Glenn
MVB bulbs are more advanced in a way..All in one bulbs.

I had problems with temperature reading when I started Skittles W/ the MVB
It was rough(My problem was the bulb was too close and it got too hot)
I'm thinking about switching over to what KarrieRee is talking about.
Thanks Skittles! I’m thinking the same. I like the convenience of it being attached along the side of the tank so I dont really have to bother with moving it when I remove the screen but like how the long uvb fixture seems to provide more uvb exposure

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hi KarrieRee,

Thanks for those links! I think I am leaning towards buying the Zoo Mee ReptiSun T5 HO fixture along with the 10.0 bulb. Is that and the basking bulbs just placed on top of the terrarium’s screen? So when i feed or do anything with the tank I have to remove all of the lights laying on top?

My dragon is atleast about 21/2 months old but i think anbit older. He measures about a little over a foot in length in my estimation. Here’s a closer poc of him. His head is gray fro what I think might be the shedding process View attachment 75886 View attachment 75887 View attachment 75888
Your dragon is cute sitting on the globe piece- I was wondering if he climbed on that- your screen is going to determine where the uvb goes-- if its a fine mesh screen like a screen door the UVB will need to go inside the tank w/ a distance of 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor piece - if its a wide hole type it can sit on top but the distance would be 8-10 inches w/ decor directly under it -- I would recommend upgrading your tank to a 4x2x2 as soon as you can --- they come w/ front doors and are a lot more convenient-- yes the gray is from him shedding coming on --

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
Your dragon is cute sitting on the globe piece- I was wondering if he climbed on that- your screen is going to determine where the uvb goes-- if its a fine mesh screen like a screen door the UVB will need to go inside the tank w/ a distance of 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor piece - if its a wide hole type it can sit on top but the distance would be 8-10 inches w/ decor directly under it -- I would recommend upgrading your tank to a 4x2x2 as soon as you can --- they come w/ front doors and are a lot more convenient-- yes the gray is from him shedding coming on --
I don't see a problem with adding UVB
Def a cute dragon.

You wanna make sure your temp gun/probe works properly..
& if he's eating and drinking/basking properly maybe you need a better thermometer probe.

greengardenhose

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Glenn
Thanks guys! As for climbing up on that globe part he did it himself but was unable to get down. After about three hours I got a little nervous and picked him up and moved him to his usal baaking spot. I actually do think that the MVB is faulty because he usually spends 95% of his time under the bulb. I’m a little worried now.

That said, if I’m replacing my bulb with the repti sun should i buy a new lid as well? I found this on Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/Imagitarium-...reeder+tank+sliding+lid&qid=1670277494&sr=8-5

Its got a center hinge to leave the back park exposed which i think would be great for the Repti Sun UVB but would it cause issues with the basking light?

Anyways thanks so much for the help guys! I’m really happy to have joined the forum because I realize there’s a ton I need to learn.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thanks guys! As for climbing up on that globe part he did it himself but was unable to get down. After about three hours I got a little nervous and picked him up and moved him to his usal baaking spot. I actually do think that the MVB is faulty because he usually spends 95% of his time under the bulb. I’m a little worried now.

That said, if I’m replacing my bulb with the repti sun should i buy a new lid as well? I found this on Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/Imagitarium-...reeder+tank+sliding+lid&qid=1670277494&sr=8-5

Its got a center hinge to leave the back park exposed which i think would be great for the Repti Sun UVB but would it cause issues with the basking light?

Anyways thanks so much for the help guys! I’m really happy to have joined the forum because I realize there’s a ton I need to learn.
You can have the basking bulb sit on the screen in front of the uvb- but it is best for the uvb to be unobstructed - distance 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom