Status
Not open for further replies.

bentzin

Hatchling Member
I am getting the same problem. Although the scent my dragon has isn't so much poop or urine. It just is not a pleasant smell right at first but I am guessing the smell is up to you. Whether or not you clean your beardies poop everyday and keep dead crickets out. I clean mine almost once a day and still has a scent to it and I am just assuming that it is the scent of the dragon itself

I think all animals have a natural odor, and from some of the exotics i've kept beardies are FAR from the worst. When I give Spike a bath he still smells, just not like poop and crickets. It's the smell of nature! :mrgreen:

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
If you're using paper towel, it's going to stink unless you change out the paper towel after they poop. The paper towel will absorb some of the feces no matter how fast you clean it. I have half my tank that I've noticed my BD pooping on the most on plastic shelf liner, which does not absorb any of the poop, and is very easy to clean. When Darwin poops on the reptile carpet, even if I clean it right away and absorb most of the excess liquid, it still smells. If there is a lot of water coming out of the poop, and he drags his butt, tail, feet, etc. through it, then the BD is going to start getting smelly as well. Bathing helps with this, since it'll wash away the remaining liquid from the poo on him.

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
Cleaning with water probably won't remove the odors. If you have some vinegar or bleach at home, you can use a very low concentration of each to spray the cage down, wipe up with a towel, and let completely air dry (where you can't smell bleach or vinegar) before putting your beardies back in. I most recently started to use a non-toxic, green cleaning agent that's concentrated. If you use a cleaning agent to clean your tanks it'll remove the smell and also the bacteria which will build up.

I have used reptile carpet since Darwin was 6" when I got him, and as long as you're careful picking them up, then there's probably little risk of them pulling out a nail. Can't comment on tile since I don't use it, but it seems like it would be a little hard for jumpy babies.

littlesavedgirl

Hatchling Member
My beardie doesn't really have a strong scent, perhaps a bit musty but over all just smells earthy. I pick up her poo as soon as I see it, daily so no stinky to worry about.

Terminator7777

Juvie Member
Original Poster
littlesavedgirl":44jg07k3 said:
My beardie doesn't really have a strong scent, perhaps a bit musty but over all just smells earthy. I pick up her poo as soon as I see it, daily so no stinky to worry about.

My little guys still have a bit of a odor but got better after cleaning. Same here i pick it up as soon as i can. They seem to enjoy running back and forth on there poop. My bigger dragon that is 4 months got poop on his tail yesterday and isn't easy to clean with just water. Lol terd

Terminator7777

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Very right on the weekend i feed them and went in the other room. One pooped and running back and forth scratching at the glass. They really must feel great after dropping a load. But didn't have a chance that time to run though it i was home. I usually feed them alot on the weekends so they get plenty of protein. My red phase dragon got a little longer i noticed. But the mouth opening scares me does it a few times a day.

littlesavedgirl

Hatchling Member
I think my girl likes the praise when she poops also, I am so aware of impaction (Extreme Constipation), I always know when she goes, I get so happy.. Go Girl Penny! So now when she goes, she sits there and waits until I notice :D .

If your speaking of what I think your speaking about..I think it's Gaping <sp> That's their way of venting off some excess heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom