12yo Beardie Ill Tonight

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thank you so much for your help I will keep you updated and will go out first thing tommorow to get her a new bulb.

I'm unsure if she fell off a basking spot or fell on her back while walking as she seems so off balance and tilting her head when walking.

I've never seen her like this in 12 Years. 😞
That is either lack of calcium/ neurological issue or a ear infection - but I am leaning towards the calcium deficiency - start w/ your uvb - first-
@Drache613

Ruvio4

Original Poster
Thank you so much I can't tell you how much you have helped - when should I notice an improvement in her?

Out of curiosity - what sort of neurological issue could it be?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you so much I can't tell you how much you have helped - when should I notice an improvement in her?

Out of curiosity - what sort of neurological issue could it be?
Balance --- its off if shes stumblng around and not being able to keep herself upright- if you take her to the a reptile vet and they were to do a Xray on her it would show exactly where the calcium is - they did one on Hiccup years ago and Dr Corwaden showed me his Xrays and pointed out where it was - he had good calcium all around the areas where it was supposed to be - they can also give you levels of the calcium- you should notice it right away - ear infections would also cause imbalance as well - lets start getting the UVB fixed first and go from there -- watch her behavior after you have changed it out and got it properly placed

Jjurovaty

Photo Comp Winner
Thank you so much for your help I will keep you updated and will go out first thing tommorow to get her a new bulb.

I'm unsure if she fell off a basking spot or fell on her back while walking as she seems so off balance and tilting her head when walking.

I've never seen her like this in 12 Years. 😞

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Bless her, but 12 is great!
Do you know which tube bulb brand you have been using in the past, up until now? Unfortunately,
not all of them are good.
Which brand are you planning on getting, the stores might not have a good brand available. We
recommend the Reptisun 10 or the Arcadia D3 12%. Since you already have a regular T8 tube bulb
fixture, you can continue with a T8. If you at some point, wanted to change things out to a high output
T5 tube bulb, you can do that also.
What type of calcium are you giving, a powder or liquid?
Neurological issues are usually caused by injury, stroke, or calcium issues. Adenovirus causes
neurological problems too, but I highly highly doubt that would be a consideration based on her age
& it just coming on this suddenly. Chances are her 25Hydroxy (D3 measurement level) could have
been dropping for awhile. Their body can hold & maintain calcium stores for quite awhile, possibly a
few years depending on genetics but they will start to fall overtime if they don't have adequate UVB
exposure. Without strong enough UVB exposure, they cannot properly absorb calcium so their blood
serum gets lower & then the body draws calcium from the bones to help maintain blood serum levels.
Once that begins to happen, it will start to manifest physical symptoms such as neurological trouble.
Let's see if better lighting will help before treating her for any type of infection yet.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

Ruvio4

Original Poster
Hello,

Bless her, but 12 is great!
Do you know which tube bulb brand you have been using in the past, up until now? Unfortunately,
not all of them are good.
Which brand are you planning on getting, the stores might not have a good brand available. We
recommend the Reptisun 10 or the Arcadia D3 12%. Since you already have a regular T8 tube bulb
fixture, you can continue with a T8. If you at some point, wanted to change things out to a high output
T5 tube bulb, you can do that also.
What type of calcium are you giving, a powder or liquid?
Neurological issues are usually caused by injury, stroke, or calcium issues. Adenovirus causes
neurological problems too, but I highly highly doubt that would be a consideration based on her age
& it just coming on this suddenly. Chances are her 25Hydroxy (D3 measurement level) could have
been dropping for awhile. Their body can hold & maintain calcium stores for quite awhile, possibly a
few years depending on genetics but they will start to fall overtime if they don't have adequate UVB
exposure. Without strong enough UVB exposure, they cannot properly absorb calcium so their blood
serum gets lower & then the body draws calcium from the bones to help maintain blood serum levels.
Once that begins to happen, it will start to manifest physical symptoms such as neurological trouble.
Let's see if better lighting will help before treating her for any type of infection yet.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie
Thank you for your reply I am planning on getting the Reptisun 10 - I may actually have one new already so I will check!

I give her Calcium and D3 powder.

When might I start to see an improvement? I just hope she isn't in pain bless her 😞 I just want to make her comfortable.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You are welcome. Ok, the Reptisun 10 T8 tube is a great bulb. If possible, mount it underneath of
the screen top so it will be possible to be at a 6-8 inch distance from her. If she is having that hard
of time moving around, etc maybe lower everything in the tank so she can't fall & hurt herself. That
would lower her stress some, too.
Hopefully you should see almost immediate improvement. Not overnight but within a few days.
Be sure to give calcium 4-5 times per week right now, but just once daily is fine on those days.

Tracie

Ruvio4

Original Poster
I can lower the bulb and leave it hanging at a lower level temporarily? I will be certain to give her calcium daily - is that a light sprinkling on food and Kale or slightly more than usual?

Ruvio4

Original Poster
Also - she doesn't tend too eat much this time of year so I may struggle to get the calcium in her as much. Is there any other way - maybe with water in a syringe?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Also - she doesn't tend too eat much this time of year so I may struggle to get the calcium in her as much. Is there any other way - maybe with water in a syringe?
There is liquid calcium Tracie has it on her website Reptile Supplies by Bug-De-Lite
if shes eating insects you can put the dust the insects - you said you have the Reptisun 10? Is that a T 8 bulb I am assuming?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thanks + yeah it is.
Ok so you want the same distance 6-8 inches but as Tracie said maybe a little closer like 5 or so - if keeping the T 8 please change it out in approx 5 months - if you see improvement which I am hoping so then I would get the Pro T 5 like I posted earlier - it is a stronger UVB -- and you wont need to change it out so often - approx 10-11 months

Ruvio4

Original Poster
Ok so you want the same distance 6-8 inches but as Tracie said maybe a little closer like 5 or so - if keeping the T 8 please change it out in approx 5 months - if you see improvement which I am hoping so then I would get the Pro T 5 like I posted earlier - it is a stronger UVB -- and you wont need to change it out so often - approx 10-11 months
I can't thank you both enough for your help in reassuring me and advising me.

I will be changing the bulb in five months as I always do - I have dropped the bulb to around 6 inches away from her and also centralised it more to where she lays.

I removed anything she could fall off for now due to the balance issue and have bought a new calcium which contains D3 and will give her that once per day five times a week as advised!

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom