12yo Beardie Ill Tonight

Ruvio4

Hello, I am after some urgent help. I have a 12yo female bearded dragon. I went to say goodnight to her earlier as I always do and found her on her back - she isn't lifting her head up and when walking seems very off-balance and unable to walk properly. She seemed well up until this happened - can anyone please help me?! I understand she is old.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello, I am after some urgent help. I have a 12yo female bearded dragon. I went to say goodnight to her earlier as I always do and found her on her back - she isn't lifting her head up and when walking seems very off-balance and unable to walk properly. She seemed well up until this happened - can anyone please help me?! I understand she is old.
This could be a UVB issue or a ear infection or I am not sure what else--- what are you using for a UVB ? coil or a long tube fixture ? How old is the bulb? Where in the tank is the UVB? These are all standard questions when we hear of things like this so we can rule these out-- this can come on suddenly if its improper lighting

Ruvio4

Original Poster
Hi, I am using a tubular UVB light that I changed around a month or so ago. The bulb is around 2" down from the roof of the vivarium - it has been there since I got her as a baby.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hi, I am using a tubular UVB light that I changed around a month or so ago. The bulb is around 2" down from the roof of the vivarium - it has been there since I got her as a baby.
So how far is the distance it should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor and what brand please? Are you using the T 5 bulb?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yeah it is no more than 15" away from the basking area.

I'm currently using the Arcadia T8.
Ok you need to lower the T 8 its too far -- it needs to be 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor -- shes been getting inadequate UVB because of distance - I dont know if your fixture will allow for a 12% bulb but I would get that switched out like yesterday -- this would be the reason for the flipping - if shes been that long w/ out correct UVB shes developed MBD

Ruvio4

Original Poster
She doesn't seem to have any deformity - can you recommend a certain UVB bulb to get - should I also add more Calcium D3 and Spinach/Kale to her diet??

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Okay - which bulb would you suggest?

What can I do to help her apart from change the bulb?
Its irreversible -- you can stop it from getting worse -- get the UVB lowered to the distance I posted then look for a Arcadia Pro T 5 - are you in the states? You can look at Pet Smart if you have one where you live you want the 12% bulb -- I am going to flag your post to our vet tech mod on here Tracie shes on late at night-- are you giving her calcium? the UVB is extremely important for them so they can absorb the calcium as a baby and as they get older - Arcadia Reptile ProT5 UV-B Kit | reptile Light Fixtures | PetSmart
I need Tracie to help w/ this -- lets see what she advises --
@Drache613

Ruvio4

Original Poster
Ok - will also try get some Kale in her.

What bulb should I be looking at getting her? I will get one tommorow.

Twice per week on average.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok - will also try get some Kale in her.

What bulb should I be looking at getting her? I will get one tommorow.

Twice per week on average.
Start w/ everyday on insects for now Tracie is better at this than i- your uvb fixture is not going to accommodate the 12% bulb - they are a skinnier bulb T 8 's are fatter-

Ruvio4

Original Poster
Ok I will do - she hasn't been eating much due to the season here.

My fitting should accommodate it unelse the two prongs to connect into the fitting are different from the current one I have but looking online it looks similar.

Do you deffintley think this is the cause? I was so worried, she has been healthy otherwise! I know she is older now, so thought it could be a seizure or something.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok I will do - she hasn't been eating much due to the season here.

My fitting should accommodate it unelse the two prongs to connect into the fitting are different from the current one I have but looking online it looks similar.

Do you deffintley think this is the cause? I was so worried, she has been healthy otherwise! I know she is older now, so thought it could be a seizure or something.
I am pretty sure this is what's going on- you need to lower the basking decor so she's not falling off - they can't breath on their backs- try the 12% bulb in that fixture the reptisun / zoo med fixtures do not interchange w/ the T 5 's and T 8 's totally different fixtures are needed- and the expiration dates are different as well

Ruvio4

Original Poster
Thank you so much for your help I will keep you updated and will go out first thing tommorow to get her a new bulb.

I'm unsure if she fell off a basking spot or fell on her back while walking as she seems so off balance and tilting her head when walking.

I've never seen her like this in 12 Years. 😞

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom