12yo Beardie Ill Tonight

Ruvio4

Hello, I am after some urgent help. I have a 12yo female bearded dragon. I went to say goodnight to her earlier as I always do and found her on her back - she isn't lifting her head up and when walking seems very off-balance and unable to walk properly. She seemed well up until this happened - can anyone please help me?! I understand she is old.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello, I am after some urgent help. I have a 12yo female bearded dragon. I went to say goodnight to her earlier as I always do and found her on her back - she isn't lifting her head up and when walking seems very off-balance and unable to walk properly. She seemed well up until this happened - can anyone please help me?! I understand she is old.
This could be a UVB issue or a ear infection or I am not sure what else--- what are you using for a UVB ? coil or a long tube fixture ? How old is the bulb? Where in the tank is the UVB? These are all standard questions when we hear of things like this so we can rule these out-- this can come on suddenly if its improper lighting

Ruvio4

Original Poster
Hi, I am using a tubular UVB light that I changed around a month or so ago. The bulb is around 2" down from the roof of the vivarium - it has been there since I got her as a baby.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hi, I am using a tubular UVB light that I changed around a month or so ago. The bulb is around 2" down from the roof of the vivarium - it has been there since I got her as a baby.
So how far is the distance it should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor and what brand please? Are you using the T 5 bulb?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yeah it is no more than 15" away from the basking area.

I'm currently using the Arcadia T8.
Ok you need to lower the T 8 its too far -- it needs to be 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor -- shes been getting inadequate UVB because of distance - I dont know if your fixture will allow for a 12% bulb but I would get that switched out like yesterday -- this would be the reason for the flipping - if shes been that long w/ out correct UVB shes developed MBD

Ruvio4

Original Poster
She doesn't seem to have any deformity - can you recommend a certain UVB bulb to get - should I also add more Calcium D3 and Spinach/Kale to her diet??

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Okay - which bulb would you suggest?

What can I do to help her apart from change the bulb?
Its irreversible -- you can stop it from getting worse -- get the UVB lowered to the distance I posted then look for a Arcadia Pro T 5 - are you in the states? You can look at Pet Smart if you have one where you live you want the 12% bulb -- I am going to flag your post to our vet tech mod on here Tracie shes on late at night-- are you giving her calcium? the UVB is extremely important for them so they can absorb the calcium as a baby and as they get older - Arcadia Reptile ProT5 UV-B Kit | reptile Light Fixtures | PetSmart
I need Tracie to help w/ this -- lets see what she advises --
@Drache613

Ruvio4

Original Poster
Ok - will also try get some Kale in her.

What bulb should I be looking at getting her? I will get one tommorow.

Twice per week on average.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok - will also try get some Kale in her.

What bulb should I be looking at getting her? I will get one tommorow.

Twice per week on average.
Start w/ everyday on insects for now Tracie is better at this than i- your uvb fixture is not going to accommodate the 12% bulb - they are a skinnier bulb T 8 's are fatter-

Ruvio4

Original Poster
Ok I will do - she hasn't been eating much due to the season here.

My fitting should accommodate it unelse the two prongs to connect into the fitting are different from the current one I have but looking online it looks similar.

Do you deffintley think this is the cause? I was so worried, she has been healthy otherwise! I know she is older now, so thought it could be a seizure or something.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok I will do - she hasn't been eating much due to the season here.

My fitting should accommodate it unelse the two prongs to connect into the fitting are different from the current one I have but looking online it looks similar.

Do you deffintley think this is the cause? I was so worried, she has been healthy otherwise! I know she is older now, so thought it could be a seizure or something.
I am pretty sure this is what's going on- you need to lower the basking decor so she's not falling off - they can't breath on their backs- try the 12% bulb in that fixture the reptisun / zoo med fixtures do not interchange w/ the T 5 's and T 8 's totally different fixtures are needed- and the expiration dates are different as well

Ruvio4

Original Poster
Thank you so much for your help I will keep you updated and will go out first thing tommorow to get her a new bulb.

I'm unsure if she fell off a basking spot or fell on her back while walking as she seems so off balance and tilting her head when walking.

I've never seen her like this in 12 Years. 😞

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom