12 month old male possible brumating??

Tonilee

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Ragnar
Well it’s the first full day with 100w bulb, I’ve tweaked the thermostat and adjusted basking area, and now temperature seems good.

Basking area 40c
Warm side 35.5
Cooler side 26.5

Scales has been a lot more active.

He ate some bugs and now he’s been going back and for between basking log and cooler area on top of his house. View attachment 74394 View attachment 74393
Aww that's really good am so glad :)

Scotty97

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Scales
Well I was a little worried as Scales seems to wake up and then go back to chilling the next day.
Woke up today to Scales basking in the heat 👏
7D1F9260-7FB4-44D5-BBB1-DF7B1147101A.jpeg

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
He looks happy in the last two pics. It really makes me happy when a see people care enough to keep working at their setup to get it right.

Scotty97

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Scales
I’m just thankful for the advice on this group.
Scales being our first reptile, it’s a steep learning curve.
Never heard of Brumation before 😂😂

Tonilee

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Ragnar
This is a really good website :) ragnar is our first reptile as well so was very strrssful at times but there is always someone to help. Ragnar still hasn't eating nothing today but am sure he will soon just got to keep trying. He had his bath in the living room tonight :) I will attach a few photos from it now he is just chilling on the window will also show you a picture of that.

Attachments

• 20221001_183428.jpg
    20221001_183428.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 56
  • 20221001_183440.jpg
    20221001_183440.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 20221001_183720.jpg
    20221001_183720.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 20221001_183728.jpg
    20221001_183728.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 53
  • 20221001_185626.jpg
    20221001_185626.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 52

Tonilee

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Ragnar
He is such a happy boy that's why am not to worried that he isn't eating cause he isn't losing weight and he is happy. They are very similar eh

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I'm not sure what others have encountered, but my male has always been the one that goes on hunger strikes, he has always been way more picky, and by far the most stubborn when it comes to food. My girls have been easy in comparison.
He is the only male I've had so i don't have anything to compare it to, but just reading post i get the idea males are harder lol.

Tonilee

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Ragnar
Thats what am thinking lol. He is very picky and not very food drivin so I do think its a male thing. Ragnar is very stubborn offer him good and he just looks right though you or turns his head so he can't see it. He sometimes moves to the other side of his viv and just gets comfy and watches all his bugs right about lol so I have to take them all out again. Wee bugger. He hasn't been very food drivin since he was younger but he has still put on loads of weight so he is fine just stubborn lol

Scotty97

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Scales
hi all.
Started to get a bit worried again now.
Scales still isn’t back to normal.
He hasn’t had a poo for a few wks now.
He has been eating but only small amounts, probably about two boxes of locusts in two weeks, and no salad.
I have been dropping water on his nose daily, sometimes he licks it, but most of the time he doesn’t.
I’ve been bathing him twice a week.
I have also been moving him to his basking area, where he stays for 2/3 minutes, but then goes and hides under a log with his eyes shut

Tonilee

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Ragnar
I think he is in brumation that's what my boy done for a few weeks before he fully went into it. Hiding away not eating staying on the cold side not pooping just hiding and sleeping. Ragnar has been in his brumation for over a week now. We have reduced his lighting not offered him any food just giving him water every 2 days and just letting him do his thing. My boy looks great no blackness at all. He opens his eyes every so often I think it's to put my mind at rest lol pokes his head out to say mum am all good then goes back to sleep. Just keep an eye on him and if he wants to sleep let him. Also make sure he isn't losing weight that will be your first sign of something wrong. In brumation they should lose too much weight.

Scotty97

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Scales
Thanks.
I’m just a bit concerned with letting him brumation, if he still has bugs inside him?

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vaota88
Top Bottom