12 month old male possible brumating??

Tonilee

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Ragnar
You will need to try and keep him out it till he does a poo to make sure everything is out. Ragnar wasn't eating for ages so when he finally did I poo we didn't feed gim again so we knew is tummy was empty and it was safe for him. Just try nice warm baths but make it a little hotter than normal that could help him go.

Scotty97

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Scales
Can you believe it.

Gets me worried and then I’m greeted this morning.

F09D714C-B237-4664-94B2-DCA209CF0138.jpeg

Tonilee

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Ragnar
Hahahah they are wee buggers eh. They know how to get your all worried. Ragnar is still sleeping that's been 10 days now pokes his head out and opens his eyes just to say he is doing good 👍 his eyes are open just now but they won't be for long. This is him just now.

Attachments

• 20221014_102655.jpg
    20221014_102655.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 63

Scotty97

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Scales
Well he chased a big around that I must of missed, basked for ten minutes and then was going under log and out the other side.
He’s active this morning, but I have a feeling he’ll be back under log in his comfy spot later

Groggyfroggie

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Draco
This has been a super relatable and helpful thread! Plus all the beardie pics are so cute :love:

My juvenile beardie has been displaying some of the same behaviors lately, less energetic, loss of appetite, hiding etc. But he’s only 5 months old! I figure the sudden drop of temperature (more than 10 degrees Celsius/20 degrees Fahrenheit) overnight must be the cause. Although I quickly added another basking bulb and kept his tank the same temperature as always, he still started to slow down a bit. Genuinely thought he was going to brumate, cuz it’s so unusual for him to refuse food.

After a couple days of careful temperature regulation against the changing weather, he seems to be more energetic and eating better today. I’ll get a fecal test done soon to prepare for the upcoming winter, just in case he decides to brumate.

Keep us posted about your lil bugger!

Tonilee

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Ragnar
Thays good he is doing much better :) he is abit young yo be going into brumation lighting and temps are very important. Ragnar is in brumation so we have changed his light and temp just letting natural take its course now and he is doing amazing :) alot better than me anyways I miss him lol

Scotty97

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Scales
Well Scales has been fully asleep for about 3 days now, he did open his one eye for a few seconds, but hasn’t moved at all.
How long can I leave him like this without drinking eating etc?
I’am a bit concerned about him eating a few bugs and not pooping before going to sleep.
Do you think I should have him another nice hot bath and see if he poops?

Tonilee

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Ragnar
Hi
Ragnar has been asleep for 2 weeks tomorrow not a full brumation as he also opens his eyes sometimes and he did come out for some heat on Sunday. That's the thing you need to watch cause if they do eat will need to wait intill he poos again. We did offer ragnar food when he woke up but he didn't eat nothing that's why we knew he wasn't done yet. I do give him water every 2 days I just drop it on his nose and he links it off so he doesn't have to move and doesn't use too much energy. So if yours does wake offers couple of bugs if he doesn't take them it's fine just keep giving him water every 2 days. I also got told that if they do eat cause they don't really go into full brumation then they will just poop it out. I am so glad ragnar didn't eat cause I would be so paranoid.

Tonilee

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Ragnar
Well Scales has been fully asleep for about 3 days now, he did open his one eye for a few seconds, but hasn’t moved at all.
How long can I leave him like this without drinking eating etc?
I’am a bit concerned about him eating a few bugs and not pooping before going to sleep.
Do you think I should have him another nice hot bath and see if he poops?
I wouldn't wake him for a bath just let him do his own natural thing as if he keeps getting woken up that's when he will start losing weight fast. Before we knew he was in brumation we kept lifting his log and waking him up so he dropped 30g in 3 weeks but since we have left him it doesnt look like he has lost anymore but they can loss up to 50g which is nothing so It will be interesting to see how much he has lost over the brumation period. 12 months on onwards is a good age to starts brumation so just let him do his on thing :) people say it's good for them to do it as well as it recharges there whole body :)

Scotty97

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Scales
Hi, I’ve left scales alone for a few days, but today he had his head out of the end of the log, so I placed a few droplets on his nose, he licked his lips for a bit, so I kept adding more droplets.
I’am a little concerned, as when he opened his mouth I could see his saliva stretching between his mouth.
Do they dehydrate slightly during brumation?
He’s never been one for water, so always got his hydration from fresh salads etc

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Yes, keep giving him hydration when he wakes. The saliva shouldn't be stringy. Just keep dropping it on his nose, give him as much as he will drink.

Tonilee

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Ragnar
I do the very same for ragnar just drop it on his nose and keep doing it intill he moves his head abit then I know he is done but he does drink for about 5 mins. I do that every 2 days but will only be when his eyes are open I won't wake him. Ragnar will not drink water out a bowl it's only when I drop it on his nose or when he is in the bath.

Tonilee

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Ragnar
Ragnar came out for a wee bit heat on Sunday but went straight back under after that. He is still sleeping but today his eyes have been open most of day today but back to sleep he went lol.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom