12 month old male possible brumating??

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
How do I increase hot and cold side temps?

Do I need to increase to 100w
Yes but make sure your getting a surface basking temp w/ a digital probe thermometer --- watch the middle of the tank after increasing the wattage move your probe to the center of the tank and get the air temp - I would place a digital probe on your cool side of the tank -

Scotty97

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Scales
I have a digital probe just behind basking (warm side), and I also have a digital probe in cold side.

I only have IR gun to measure basking, but are you saying I need to place a probe on his basking log?

What temp should centre of tank be?

Scotty97

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Scales
Warm side
243B17B7-1FD6-4436-A245-E5271B9D4526.jpeg
2BFA42F9-62A8-4A82-938D-176C8573E12B.jpeg

Cold side

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I have a digital probe just behind basking (warm side), and I also have a digital probe in cold side.

I only have IR gun to measure basking, but are you saying I need to place a probe on his basking log?

What temp should centre of tank be?
Take the probe place where he sits for basking -- 10 min or so get the temp--- middle of the tank 90's -- I have a 120 gallon tank and 2 basking areas set up as my UVB is front center of the tank - there is a 75 watt above that rock behind the UVB as its in the tank - temps run in the 90's there --

Scotty97

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Scales
Ok, I’ll swap bulb tomorrow as soon as I get home from work, gives me a few hours to monitor it then before the lights go off?

Any particular 100w you would use?

Also is it worth me permanently adding a digital thermometer to centre of Viv, something like this, as a reference

7707399C-0CE9-4AE1-B103-B224DEEC39BE.jpeg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok, I’ll swap bulb tomorrow as soon as I get home from work, gives me a few hours to monitor it then before the lights go off?

Any particular 100w you would use?

Also is it worth me permanently adding a digital thermometer to centre of Viv, something like this, as a reference

View attachment 74351
Its up to you -- I use one digital probe to monitor temps - I just move the probe -- I also have a IR gun that I spot check different areas on the hot side - I use a piece of decor that offers a heat gradient for them to sit on the hot side --- as far as basking bulbs at this time I am using Flukers --- I have used Zoo Med Repti basking - Exo Terra Intense bulbs - I have found the Flukers are the most reasonable and last longer - any solid bright white basking bulb will work tho -- also Arcadia Halogen bulbs as well - havent used those tho --

Scotty97

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Scales
Looks awesome,

I think I may need to get something stand alone for basking, he always lay on his log, but we have to lean it on something, the slate bridge was supposed to be for basking, but for some reason, he doesn’t tend to lie on it, even when it was under the basking light.

8E0D8695-FDF9-4FA9-9CC4-1C281BD61955.jpeg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Looks awesome,

I think I may need to get something stand alone for basking, he always lay on his log, but we have to lean it on something, the slate bridge was supposed to be for basking, but for some reason, he doesn’t tend to lie on it, even when it was under the basking light.

View attachment 74353
the slate bridge may get too hot--- slate tends to heat more -- the hammock needs the digital probe thermometer on it where he sits to basks-

Scotty97

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Scales
The hammock is actually behind the basking area.

The log you can see on bottom of photo is directly under the basking area.

He tends to climb up to top of hammock and hangs there, sleeps over night sometimes 😂😂😂

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The hammock is actually behind the basking area.

The log you can see on bottom of photo is directly under the basking area.

He tends to climb up to top of hammock and hangs there, sleeps over night sometimes 😂😂😂
What is the surface basking temp on the log?

Scotty97

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Scales
Using the heat gun it’s hard to measure, different sections of the bark, read different temps between 37.5 to 40

I’ll check it with a probe tomorrow.

Is it ok for the probe to be in direct light on the surface/bark of the log

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Using the heat gun it’s hard to measure, different sections of the bark, read different temps between 37.5 to 40

I’ll check it with a probe tomorrow.

Is it ok for the probe to be in direct light on the surface/bark of the log
Yes thats going to give an actual surface temp

Scotty97

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Scales
We’ll just changed bulb to 100w and checked basking temp but it’s up to 44 degrees c.
Do I bring temp down using thermostat?

Can’t really lower basking spot. It’s about 8” from bilb

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexreynolds
Top Bottom