Squash storage advice

Discuss topics of food for your beardies here.

Squash storage advice

Postby Amuseismom » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:30 am

Hi, each fall when it is in season I purchase several varieties of squash for my beardie. For years I have always cooked them by cutting down the center and laying them flat on a cookie sheet in the oven until soft. Once they cool I place some in ice cubes trays and freeze. After frozen I store them in a Ziploc freezer bag. Then in the middle of winter I can just pop out a cube and once thawed I can give it to him to eat along with some greens.

I am not sure if this is the best way for me to store the squash and before I do it again I thought I would get some input.
Amuseismom
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Squash storage advice

Postby claudiusx » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:32 am

Sounds like a fine idea to me!:)

I've never really thought about that as we typically have some type of squash year round here, but that's a great idea IMO.

-Brandon
claudiusx

Postby Amuseismom » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:13 pm

Thanks Brandon 😊

Unfortunately I live in North Western PA and we get cold, snowing weather. If I find squash it's not usually very good quality and the price is ridiculous.
Amuseismom
Newbie Poster

Postby JumpinJellyfish » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:18 am

That's a good way to have it available. I think the squash doesn't lose its vitamins as quickly in the freezer as greens do, so that's another positive.
Never knew I could get so happy about poop, or so comfortable with bugs. :-D
JumpinJellyfish
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Feeding