Anything else I can do to help my little guy?

Discuss health questions, issues, problems, etc! For urgent issues please use the Beardie ER forum.

Anything else I can do to help my little guy?

Postby Whyitsdonut » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:48 am

So I got a month old baby on Monday. He seems to be in good health, he is very alert, and likes to run around from time to time.

The issue is he is dealing with relocation stress (I think), beginning to shed, and won't eat very much. The store (reptile store) had him grazing on meal worms (I explained that those are pretty bad for beardie babies) whenever he wanted and he was on aspen chips in his tank. Now we feed 2 to 3 times a day (if he eats) and use nonadhesive shelf liner for his substrate.

I've checked all I could think of, temp at basking spot was about 104-106 using a temp gun, the cooler side fluctuatates between 75 and 85, I have a 22 inch arcadia 12% uvb bulb, feeding crickets, bsfl, and mustard greens. His uvb and basking light are on top of the top metal screen. Should we mount the uvb to the inside of the tank? I feel like it would be a little too close to his basking spot (likely 7 inches or so). He's in a 20 gallon long tank for right now.

Monday he ate about 15 crickets and I could see a small part of his tail scales starting to lift, Tuesday he ate maybe 3 crickets shed looked the same, Wednesday ate maybe 5 crickets and some greens shed looked like it was coming along slowly, Thursday he ate about 20ish bsfl and she'd looked the same, Friday he ate 2 or 3 bsfl and his body is starting to look dull as if it is getting ready to shed. He is getting a bath every other day. So far he has pooped everyday and his poops are good sized and healthy looking.

He doesn't really leave his basking rock much except for a few times where he sees us and gets excited. He has been glass surfing some.

I just feel bad for the guy because of all this stuff happening at once. Is there anything I could do better? Does this all sound normal with the relocation and shed starting? I'm worried about him but can't think of anything else to do and wanted to see if this is all normal.
Whyitsdonut
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:14 am
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Anything else I can do to help my little guy?

Postby claudiusx » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:55 am

You're doing everything fine. My little guy is going through the same thing, including the shedding and he's only on day 4 with me. But we've all been through it before, like I mentioned in your other thread, it can last anywhere from a few days to two weeks. Just hang in there he will settle in.

-Brandon
User avatar
claudiusx
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 13319
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: California

Re: Anything else I can do to help my little guy?

Postby KarrieRee » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:04 am

The UVB is probably ok on top of the 20 gallon tank but if and when you decide to go to a bigger tank which will be by the time hes a year as he will outgrow it pretty quickly you would want to move that UVB into the tank mounted approx 10-11 inches from basking spot--- at this point about the relocation will take some time -- about the aspen chips not really familiar w/ them-- I heard walnut chips are bad -- I would like for some one else to weigh in on that ---- if they say something about getting rid of them you can always use paper towels - newspaper -- until you go to a bigger tank then I would recommend non adhesive shelf liner or ceramic slated tile -- it is way easier to keep clean -- the tile would need to be cut to tank size as the shelf liner as well and its cheap - I did my 120 gallon w/ ceramic tile was around $13-- cleaning w/ vinegar/ water in a spray bottle-- give your little guy time he will adjust -- as long as hes eating and pooping he will be fine-- continue to handle him and talk to him -- they usually bond w/ the one that feeds and handles them the most--
Karrie
KarrieRee
Gray-bearded Poster
 
Posts: 2048
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am

Re: Anything else I can do to help my little guy?

Postby Whyitsdonut » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:39 am

KarrieRee wrote:The UVB is probably ok on top of the 20 gallon tank but if and when you decide to go to a bigger tank which will be by the time hes a year as he will outgrow it pretty quickly you would want to move that UVB into the tank mounted approx 10-11 inches from basking spot--- at this point about the relocation will take some time -- about the aspen chips not really familiar w/ them-- I heard walnut chips are bad -- I would like for some one else to weigh in on that ---- if they say something about getting rid of them you can always use paper towels - newspaper -- until you go to a bigger tank then I would recommend non adhesive shelf liner or ceramic slated tile -- it is way easier to keep clean -- the tile would need to be cut to tank size as the shelf liner as well and its cheap - I did my 120 gallon w/ ceramic tile was around $13-- cleaning w/ vinegar/ water in a spray bottle-- give your little guy time he will adjust -- as long as hes eating and pooping he will be fine-- continue to handle him and talk to him -- they usually bond w/ the one that feeds and handles them the most--
Karrie


I have him on the shelf liner not aspen chips.

Yeah the issue is him eating on and off and eating very little during this transition /shed time. However his poops are regular and healthy looking
Whyitsdonut
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:14 am
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Anything else I can do to help my little guy?

Postby Whyitsdonut » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:46 am

claudiusx wrote:You're doing everything fine. My little guy is going through the same thing, including the shedding and he's only on day 4 with me. But we've all been through it before, like I mentioned in your other thread, it can last anywhere from a few days to two weeks. Just hang in there he will settle in.

-Brandon


Thanks I just wanted to be sure. I feel bad for the little guy haha
Whyitsdonut
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:14 am

Re: Anything else I can do to help my little guy?

Postby KarrieRee » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:49 am

Oops sorry-- misread-- he will eat off and on -- it's adjustment-- I would not give him anymore meal worms-- to hard on their digestive system-- but the other stuff he's eating is good
Karrie
KarrieRee
Gray-bearded Poster
 
Posts: 2048
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am

Re: Anything else I can do to help my little guy?

Postby Whyitsdonut » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:45 pm

KarrieRee wrote:Oops sorry-- misread-- he will eat off and on -- it's adjustment-- I would not give him anymore meal worms-- to hard on their digestive system-- but the other stuff he's eating is good
Karrie


OH yeah, I've fed him 1 total meal worm. That was on the first day, he's only had crickets and black soldier fly larvae since then
Whyitsdonut
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:14 am

Re: Anything else I can do to help my little guy?

Postby KarrieRee » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:16 pm

Good deal
KarrieRee
Gray-bearded Poster
 
Posts: 2048
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -


Return to Health

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot]