My beardies tail looks injured

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, so I've had my beardie dragon for about two months now hes active and healthy I regularly check on him and he eats well except I cant get him to eat his veggies (need help with that too), but my main concern right now is his tail Gavins tail seems to have been bit I dont know if he did it himself or what but I'm a little worried as I dont really know what to do.
102659-8595573636.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Welcome to the forum ------Some one else will haft to weigh in on the tail issue-- ok so hes not eating vegies --- normal if hes a baby--- his main diet is bugs dusted in calcium powder 5 x per week w/ vitamins 2 x per week--- is he eating those--? Where did you get your baby from and what kind of lighting do you have for your tank?
Karrie

LordPotRoast

Original Poster
I have an infrared light and yes I feed him dusted crickets every other day or every two days he eats about 10 a day with occasional super worms. I got him from petsmart it was the only place I could find one, I have home houses in one of their kits but I switched the bulbs since I didnt really trust them.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok the infrared light is bad for his eyes - please get rid of it-- any advice from Petsmart is usually bad advice- what kind of lighting is it ? If its a coil UVB they are no good - the basking bulb is probably ok if its keeping his temps between 90-105- babies like it on the warm side-- please post pics of tank and light set up --- go to top of page click on user image uploader - down load pics - click on reply at top of message box click on XIMG - pics will post -- also super worms are not good for babies - too hard on their digestion system - crickets are ok but tend to give parasites -- I and others would recommend dubia roaches -- same size as crickets --- no bigger than the size between his eyes-- dusted as well - you can get them on line from Amazon.com suppliers usually offer free shipping - glad you found the forum we can help please dont hesitate to ask
Karrie

LordPotRoast

Original Poster
Whoops the basking bulb is actually a ceramic heat lamp I dont know why I said infrared, the UVB bulb is a flouresent bulb and I didn't know crickets were potentially harmful same with super worms. I have gavin in a 10 gallon tank right now but I plan on buying a much bigger tank in a few weeks. Thank you for your help.
102659-5977417640.jpg
102659-7945567351.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
ok sounds good about tank -- a bigger tank you will need - we often recommend a 4x2x2 tank size- the UVB light should be a Reptisun 10 T5, or the Arcadia D3 12% or 14% T5 tube, both of which are very good. You will
need a T5 light fixture also. If you have any more questions please ask --- we are here to help

Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, can you post 1-2 more pics of the tail ? Was it like that when you got him ? They do nip at each other in the stores. That looks like a clean break though + will fall off at some point with no trouble. You can dab it with neosporin but I doubt there's any infection. That type of small injury is very common.

LordPotRoast

Original Poster
When I got him his tail was not like that, I take him out of this cage every other day so he can get used to me and his surroundings. Thank you for the reassurance I will definitely put neosporin on it to prevent any infection.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It may have gotten caught under something or bitten by a cricket. The cricket biting is unlikely but not unheard of though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom