How Do I Feed My Dragon Horn Worms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the horn worms I got from the store are huge! I guess I wasn’t expecting them to be this size. Anyway, my beardie is about 3 months old, approx. 8” long, and each worm is about 2” long and fat. How much do I give to him? How do you keep extra pieces if beardie doesn’t want to eat all of it? These were not cheap. Probably the last time I’m getting these ... I cannot bear to slice them up. Aaah!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I usually save the big ones for an adult dragon. The little ones are more appropriate for young dragons but they grow very quickly so don't stay small for long. They are soft and mostly liquid so they don't really chop up well or preserve but they can be bitten and chewed pretty easily. I usually just hold one out with my fingers and my dragon will come darting in from the other room as fast as he can when he sees the bright green worm.

FrostBitten

I think you're supposed to feed the horn worms to young beardies before the worms get too big. If they're already too big to feed, I'm not sure what you can do with them aside from kill them and throw them out, but I'm no expert.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
if the hornworms are too big , keep feeding them to grow them , let them pupate and the become moths , and let the moths mate and produce eggs …. hey presto …. self sufficient and all you need then is to buy the horn worm special chow to feed them.

Your juvenile beardie can easily handle a 2" hornworm , I fed silkworms about the same size to my beardies at about the same age.

The beauty with hornworms and silkworms is they are soft and juicy and a great feeder being slow moving and nutritious and they are usually scoffed down pretty quick when a hungry dragon sees them.

A medium sized silkworm or hornworm will be about 2in long and is a lot of protein cf a medium sized cricket

A 30mm long silkworm is 0.5g = 2-3 medium crickets (12x MED = 3g)
A 40mm long silkworm is 1.3g = 5-6 medium crickets
a 2 inch long silkworm is 1.8g
a large silkworm about 3in is 2.3g = 8 - 10 medium crickets

avasgoldfish

Original Poster
Thank you all for your advice!

Kingofnobbys, I didn't even think to do that! I wish I had seen your response sooner. I will definitely consider it for next time. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom