Story of little one that didnt make it

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So last Sunday I was on craigslist looking for stuff for Hiccups tank --- I ran across a post from someone that needed a uvb-- basking lights and food for a baby beardie- so I emailed them and didnt get a response fast enough so I texted the # asking if they had received it help - it had been 3 days-- they said no--so I asked what she needed how the big tank was etc........... found out they were in Crystal which is a suburb of Brooklyn Park which is outside of Maple Grove which is the first suburb of the cities--- about 90 miles from here -- so I got Kelly and I got the extra UVB light and the extra dome and some other things I had here and we made a trip to the cities-- we met them at Pet Supplies Plus --- from there we went in to the store and bought crickets-- 75 watt basking as she had it in a 10 gal tank -- a digital therm -- I had brought my Infrared to take temps while there-- I cant remember what else we got about $40 worth of stuff--- we took her and her dad back to their house as her mom had dropped them off --- these people are black --- didnt know that but whatever-- her name is Edie shes 20 and has a 2 year old daughter- we got back to their house met her brother Ben who is a nice kid too about 18 or so --- and we met Edies ex maybe I am not sure the father of the little girl - he is the one she got the beardie from --- anyway we found out yesterday the story of the little one she had -- she had it w/ her that nite under her coat -- and he / it was really little my guess 2 months maybe -- we got the tank set up w/ the lights the food situation I had brought what was left of my calcium powder and a packet of vitamins -- etc -- told her stuff she would need etc........... she wasnt getting paid till the end of the month and had no money to buy any of this stuff- so basically we were doing a rescue-- well come to find out a day or two later I texted her and the little one had died--- I am like OMG-- wth --- so she told me she had been crying all day and that her Mom had gone out and purchased the one we had saw at Pet Supplies Plus --- it was older and very energetic etc.............. my guess this one is about 4-5 months old -- so she has this one in the 10 gallon tank --- I am like she cant keep this one in a 10 gallon tank it wont survive for long in there -- so I told her I was getting a 120 gallon and it would be here the day after Xmas -- well we know different now - it came early- so yesterday we packed up the 50 gallon after cleaning it out w/ F10 and vinegar and water etc and the dresser it sat on - we were going to get rid of the dresser anyway so it worked out good--- Khloe and I went to Fins and Friends and bought a bunch of stuff they had on sale for Xmas on Fri -- more calcium powder / vitamins -- another 100 watt basking bulb- a new dome as the one we took there the switch didnt work but you could use it by unplugging it -- and more roaches for her as I had taken some of mine there from here the first trip down there -- they were actually too big to feed the little one -- so she still had them for this one she has now - she finished off the crickets w/ this one and then started on the roaches -- she said he loves the roaches -- so when we went yesterday I took more roaches from Fins and Friends as they had them on sale too -- we got the tank and stuff all set up for her - this little one is going to be very happy w/ the tank he is now- she took all the stuff she has in the 10 gallon and put in this tank - he will need bigger stuff in there cuz the stuff she has now is too small and he will out grow it-- she said she plans to go and get more stuff for him / her at the end of the month-- I probably gave her info over load -- I printed off nutrition info for him / her and the roaches - she can use that 10 gallon tank for her roaches -- there is only one place in Minn/ St Paul that sells that I can find dubia roaches -- thats Twin Cities Reptiles and I hear that store is awesome!! Petco has started selling horn worms -- 4 for $10 I told the girl that was too expensive-- I can get them from the place I order roaches from for 12 for $4.95-- Pet Supplies Plus also sells them but I didnt catch the price on them from there-- I cant believe how big the cities is and only one store there sells dubia roaches --- seriously? So spent around $80 there for Hiccup and her little one! That is my charitable cause for Xmas -- Kelly says we gave away around $300 of stuff to her--- well it was for a good cause -- now the story of the little one - she said she got it from her ex -- and this is sad and I am guessing he/ she died from a Resp Infection and if I had known what he had gone thru I would of suggested taking it to a vet and getting some critical care stuff --- but her BF had been spraying it w / a fogger so to speak cuz he had bought a chameleon-- water no heat and no UVB = death! 2 months old --- pathetic --- I am heartbroken just thinking about it! And to top it off she was taking it outside --- OMG---!!  So that is the story of the tank!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm sorry the little one didn't make it. Thank you for going through the effort of helping and also providing a better start for the new one. Twin Cities Reptiles is an excellent store btw. I bought my tank there and stop in once in a while. They have a huge collection of different reptiles as well.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I was told that its an awesome store- anyway she is going to haft to get roaches from them and then she has a order coming in Jan of 200 from dubia roaches.com--

Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ordering them online is usually a decent bet although tougher in the winter with cold weather shipping. I wish I had known there was a need. I just got back from St Paul a few hours ago. I would have brought enough of my roaches up there for them to start a colony.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom