Really sick (and possibly egg bound!) Help!

This forum is for urgent health concerns, where your beardie seems very ill and you need immediate help!

Really sick (and possibly egg bound!) Help!

Postby HippieLizards » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:24 am

Cisco REALLY has not been her normal happy self at all lately (started Tuesday night). she has had a black beard ever since Tuesday night, and sunken in eyes Wednesday at around 1:00 PM, and Refusing to eat Thursday at around 3:00 PM, and now Lethargy Friday at around 9:00 AM.

I am Extremely worried about my baby and I really want to know if she is ok. ☹️ and I can't get her to a vet anytime soon (soonest would be sept 25th probably).

When I pick her up she gulps up air and then snuggles with me. She also has had a slightly firmer stomach of that helps.

Photos (day by day documentation of her):

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

First day of showing signs of sickness.

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

Second day.

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

and Finally today.

[Click image to enlarge]
and a collection of her through the past few days.

Other things to add: We're taking all three beardies on a 10 hour drive tonight and going to be out of town for a week with the beardies.

I Will post updates as soon as I can. and Thank you in advance! 😀

Also Cisco a few days ago:
[Click image to enlarge]
See? Perfectly normal. 😕

-HippieLizards.
Last edited by HippieLizards on Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slave to three Beardies, one Crested gecko, a Ball Python, and a Cat. (R.I.P Thor, You will always be in our hearts).[Click image to enlarge]
HippieLizards
Sub-Adult Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Really sick or really paranoid? Help!

Postby HippieLizards » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:38 am

More info:
Female,
3 1-2 - 4 years old.
19"
1 lb 2oz when weighed last time.
Normally the most active beardie but not right now. 😥
Never been bred before (to my knowledge).

Edit: She moved around some but went back into an alarming figure again. 😥
[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

She did poop this morning so that's great, but her fat pads have sunken in slightly and are slightly squishy.
Last edited by HippieLizards on Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Slave to three Beardies, one Crested gecko, a Ball Python, and a Cat. (R.I.P Thor, You will always be in our hearts).[Click image to enlarge]
HippieLizards
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby AHBD » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:53 am

She may be in pretty bad shape from your description and the pics. Something is causing extreme discomfort + bloating, possibly carrying eggs. If that's the cause then she may be eggbound. If you could get her to an emergency vet for xrays that could at least clarify that. I hope she gets through this !
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby HippieLizards » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:23 am

Yeah, I put her in the dig box and she did nothing but glare at me, I could feel a slight (probably around 1" long) lump on one side but I don't know, I'm really really worried. I Feared possible Egg retention but I hope not. Perhaps I could see if there are any reliable vets in FL while we're there. 🤔 I just want my baby to stop being in pain. 😥

If she does have Dystocia, how would one treat it? ☹️ Isn't it some sort of surgery? Do they normally survive after being egg bound? 😥
HippieLizards
Sub-Adult Poster

Re: Really sick (and possibly egg bound!) Help!

Postby AHBD » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:00 pm

A vet could give a shot of Oxytocin, but only if the eggs are already in the uterus . Beardies can + do die from dystocia, I sure hope that's not it. See about a vet ASAP, in the meantime put her in some warm water for 10 minutes or so, sometimes it gives them the urge to poo and then an egg pops out.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby Drache613 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:21 pm

Hello,

Oh dear, she is not looking well. I am sorry to hear that!
I agree, it would be ideal to get her in immediately because they crash very quickly.
As suggested, the oxytocin can be given & is usually very effective as long as the eggs are
ready to be laid & have dropped. It greatly depends on how bad the situation is as to whether
or not they survive. A lot of them do, but, some go downhill & cannot recover. If they are
egg bound & can't lay for whatever reason, surgery is the best option. If you can get her to lay
then she will probably pull out of it with some help.

Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie
Drache613

Postby HippieLizards » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:07 pm

Drache613 wrote:Hello,

Oh dear, she is not looking well. I am sorry to hear that!
I agree, it would be ideal to get her in immediately because they crash very quickly.
As suggested, the oxytocin can be given & is usually very effective as long as the eggs are
ready to be laid & have dropped. It greatly depends on how bad the situation is as to whether
or not they survive. A lot of them do, but, some go downhill & cannot recover. If they are
egg bound & can't lay for whatever reason, surgery is the best option. If you can get her to lay
then she will probably pull out of it with some help.

Tracie
I am not entirely sure if she has eggs, If I were to find a local reptile vet how would we find out if she does have eggs? or find out if she has Dystocia? How would I care for her to ready her for her possible eggs?

AHBD wrote:A vet could give a shot of Oxytocin, but only if the eggs are already in the uterus . Beardies can + do die from dystocia, I sure hope that's not it. See about a vet ASAP, in the meantime put her in some warm water for 10 minutes or so, sometimes it gives them the urge to poo and then an egg pops out.

We finished our drive and Cisco seems to be fine. I have some more photos of her and I did feel some subtle lumps on her belly but it isn't as obvious today. She did poo on the drive here, No eggs. and unfortunately there aren't any good reptile vets near us (we're out of town and can't get back to our vet anytime soon unfortunately). ☹️

She was a lot more active today and basked a lot in the window, she didn't BB as much and her eyes are less sunken in thankfully.

I will post another update tonight on Her. Lord willing she will pull through this. ❤️ Thank Y'all so much for your help. :)
HippieLizards
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby AHBD » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:30 pm

I hope very much that it's not a serious issue and that she's going to be O.K.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby Drache613 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:09 pm

Hello,

Well, that is definitely some good news then, she isn't black bearding as much & was more
active today. I hope that she is feeling better.
Maybe she was a little backed up possibly & had a tummy ache?

Keep us updated on her.
Tracie
Drache613

Postby HippieLizards » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:34 am

More photos of her:
[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]
this shows where I can feel the slight lumps.
[Click image to enlarge]
Trying to get a good photo of her slightly more bloated belly but she kept trying to climb back onto me.
[Click image to enlarge]
This morning was probably the worst she looked that morning which is good (she didn't look totally dead)
[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]
she was running around me then she decided to rest on my shoulder again.
[Click image to enlarge]
she looked much better in this photo. :)
[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]
Cisco liked cuddling with Daisy when Daisy escaped her carrier and climbed over to me lol.
[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]
this was about as black her beard got yesterday which is GREAT. Because it wasn't her normal full beard pitch black. :blob5:
[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]
she liked basking in the window.
[Click image to enlarge]
and this was her last night basking.

Will post an update on how she's doing tonight! :D
HippieLizards
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby Drache613 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:51 am

Hello,

How is she doing today? She looked pretty good by the end of the day on Saturday, then,
plus, her black beard was not there really.
Do you feel the lumps still? I really don't know if the lumps are eggs or not, but it is definitely
a huge possibility. You are still going to try & get her to the vet soon for a checkup?

Tracie
Drache613

Postby AHBD » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:02 pm

Poor girl still looks unwell. :( Does she spend a lot of time out of her tank ? Be sure the majority of it is spent inder the uvb + heat. Hope she feels better + things get resolved.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby HippieLizards » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:28 am

AHBD wrote:Poor girl still looks unwell. :( Does she spend a lot of time out of her tank ? Be sure the majority of it is spent inder the uvb + heat. Hope she feels better + things get resolved.

Yeah :(, But she has been doing excellent this Sunday and Monday. :blob5: She was much more active, no BBing at all on Sunday, still refusing to eat and I'm still feeling some slight lumps but they are not as pronounced anymore. :)

Also I still haven't found a good herp vet at all yet. :|

More photos:
[Click image to enlarge]
Little booger Wanted to show off for the camera lol. ❤️
[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]
that was about as Black bearded she got on Sunday.
[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]
Now Monday, She was terrific this Monday. :D
[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]
Took Cisco and the other beardies to the beach for some quality UVB and they loved it (especially Cisco).
[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

Will post more updates soon. :)
HippieLizards
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby AHBD » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:49 am

She does look good sunbathing there. :)
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby Drache613 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:27 am

Hello,

I agree, she does look happy there in the sun! :D

Tracie
Drache613

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Beardie ER