How many feeders do your beardies eat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey i was wondering how many feeders you give to your beardies each day? My beardie is pretty old now (around 6 years) and i feed him usually 6 super worms a day. But he always seems to want more. I feed him his salad in the morning, but he's not really a fan of greens so I throw his fruits and colorful veggies under them so he has to get the greens if he wants to eat the stuff that he likes. A couple hours later after he's has the chance to eat his greens i give him his worms wether they are coated in multi-vitamins or calcium. If i do give him as many as he wants how many of the worms should i coat with calcium and such?

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
This should help with how to properly feed him. Which by the way he really shouldn't be eating that many worms a week. Those are treat feeders, not staple feeders... I highly recommend going with a proper staple feeder that's listed below.

This is the feeding guide I personally follow and it seems to work with my beardies.

Also, do note that the "10-20 bugs a feeding" is more of a minimum, most people do how many the dragon will eat in a 10-15 minute time frame.

All life stages eat 10-20 bugs a feeding.
1-4 months 3x a day.
4-12 months 2x a day.
12-20 months once a day.
20+ months twice a week at the least, every other day at the most.

Staple feeders - Crickets, locusts, grasshoppers, silkworms, black soldier fly larvae, dubia roaches, turkish roaches.

Treat feeders - Waxworms, hornworms, superworms, mealworms, butterworms.
Wax worms - once a week, 4-5 max.
Hornworms - every other day to every two days, 4-6 max.
Mealworms - every other day to every two days, 5-10 max. Only for beardies above 6 months.
Superworms - once or twice a week, 3-4 max. Only for beardies above 12 months.
Butterworms - once or twice a week, 3-4 max.

Daily greens- Turnip/collard/mustard greens, endive, and kale if added to a mixture of the other staple greens mentioned.
Fruit once or twice a week - Banana, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, red raspberries.
For more food items -
http://www.thebeardeddragon.org/bearded-dragon-diet.php
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Supplementation -

You want two supplements at the very least, a calcium and a multivitamin.
I recommend the Repti-cal brand but zoomed is also good.

The supplements should be lightly dusted on all bugs.

Generally, beardies below two years need calcium 5x a week and multivitamins 2x a week.

However, beardies above two years or at two years of age need calcium only 2-4x a week with multivitamins 1-2x a week.
This does depend on how your beardie is with diet, health, just laid eggs, is laying eggs, etc.

KakashiHatake

Original Poster
Thanks for the information :). I do use crickets about 1 week out of the month but i have read multiple places that supers can be used as a staple but i also have read that they they shouldnt. I know one of the reasons some people recommend against it is because of the high phosphorus to calcium ratio, but i figured since i coat them with calcium 4x a week and give him collard greens daily (which i believe have a high calcium to phosphorus ratio) that it shouldnt be to big of a problem. I know another thing about them is their chitin, but i always watch his poop for and of the worms exo skeleton and there is never any sign of it. I would gladly switch to roaches but they are illegal in canada lol, and for the other feeders i havent seen anyplace that sells them where i live besides the silk worms, but i have to special order those in and it gets very costly. I did feed him crickets when i first got him (he was about 4 years old and needed a home) but as im sure you know the pain of keeping crickets, the smell, the sound, the ones that die, etc, was rather annoying so i looked into other staples i could get and landed on super worms with crickets once in a while. Sorry for the rant just wanted to provide the information i know about it. If there is other reasons or if my logic is off then i dont mind maybe starting a colony of slikworms or switching back to crickets if it helps my beardie :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom