Changing Substrate

Discuss substrates, lighting, heating, enclosure building ideas, share enclosure photos, and talk about any other enclosure-related topics.

Changing Substrate

Postby Syrrith » Thu May 17, 2018 8:28 pm

Currently, Im using Zilla's Desert Blend sand. Ive heard the horror stories(and seen some pictures unfortunately) and I want to change it. Its made of crushed walnuts and Zeus isnt the best hunter. When hes running around to catch his roaches, Im worried hes going to get a mouthful of it. I made a post about it here because it seemed better than reading something biased toward their product and it seems like people want the best for the beardie.

Ive read about using shelf liners, paper towels, or carpets. I dont think that I will use the carpet because the last owner had him on carpet and its totally messed up one of his fingers, so now it catches on everything. I also read this https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=132151 and Im still unsure what to use. Any brands, links, suggestions, tips, etc. would be super helpful! Thanks!
Syrrith
Newbie Poster

Re: Changing Substrate

Postby JessPets » Fri May 18, 2018 6:32 am

I personally use non-adhesive shelf liner. I got a giant roll for like $5 at Walmart, and it looks great, plus it is really easy to clean up. Tile is good as well, I just dont have any experience with it.

This is the stuff i use: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Duck-Smooth- ... e/39219995

it looks nice and natural as well, as compared to paper towels or newspaper. Good luck!
[Click image to enlarge]
JessPets
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby Syrrith » Thu May 24, 2018 7:45 pm

It looks nice! Do they have enough grip to run around on it? Or do they slide a little?
Syrrith
Newbie Poster

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu May 24, 2018 8:05 pm

paper towels work very well.

I have a combination of paper towels ( a couple of layers) and loosely laid old ceramic wall tiles (only because I had these under the house from a bathroom and kitchen renovation i did way back in the early 90s).
I simply lift any soiled tiles and take them outside and give them a blast with garden hose on the grass , don't even bother drying them , they simply go straight back in usually.
CBDs: Puff (RIP 10Dec2015 @ 3.2 yrs old (aneurism)),Rex (RIP 16Mar2017 @ 4.6 yrs old,Toothless(sudden unexplained death RIP 26Nov2017) @ 2.1 yrs old.Peppa (born 15Nov2015).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Lucky (wild juvenile), cat attack rescue, fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.Wriggles (rescued injured),thought she was a big lizard, 7-8 yrs old, died in her sleep, RIP 2Feb2016). Fluffy rescued 14Nov2017 about 4 yrs old .
kingofnobbys
BD.org Addict

Postby JessPets » Fri May 25, 2018 4:58 am

Syrrith wrote:It looks nice! Do they have enough grip to run around on it? Or do they slide a little?

I find that it is very gripy, and Loki (my beardie) has no problem running on it.
[Click image to enlarge]
JessPets
Gray-bearded Poster

Return to Enclosures