Broly the new super saiyan beardie

This forum is specifically for people who want to share day-to-day stories about their beardies... the weird or fun stuff. This is not a forum for seeking help, but more just for sharing the cuteness that is your beardie.

Re: Broly the new super saiyan beardie

Postby SHBailey » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:42 am

Hi...

So we had a quiet Thanksgiving at home. I managed to make some pancakes for breakfast but we did Costco pasta pop-it-in-the-microwave for dinner. I usually have some energy in the morning and not so much later in the day. Usually -- can't ever count on it. My husband splurged and got some more hornworms for Puff's thanksgiving dinner, so our beardie probably enjoyed Thanksgiving as much as we did. :wink:

My husband's church planned a little post Thanksgiving get-rid-of-your-leftovers potluck this last Saturday night but the weather turned nasty so we chickened out and stayed home. I was barely up to it anyway and besides, we didn't have any leftovers to share. Oh well. They're planning a Christmas party in a couple of weeks so maybe we'll make it to that.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that you had a reasonably good Thanksgiving with your family if not with your online friends. :)

Good for you not to let getting "unfriended" bother you, especially when you don't know why. You never know when someone is going to take offense and what for (maybe for nothing), especially if they're into "drama." :roll:

Funny how bearded dragons seem to go through phases. One minute they like something and then when you try to feed it to them again, they don't want anything to do with it. My husband got some leeks and since they're ok for beardies to eat occasionally (although not all the time), we let Puff try some. He didn't seem to like them at first (too oniony, I figured) but then he ate some. Go figure.

We're getting snowed on again (it's really about time this far into the season). Big fat flakes yesterday and little ones this morning. Temperatures right around freezing so it will probably get sloppy if it gets any "warmer."

We fed Puff every day last week except for one evening when my husband got home too late because he stopped for groceries after work, and his weight was back up to just over 500 grams this last Saturday, so I guess we're just going to have to feed him bugs more often, at least for a while. My husband also figures that one middle-sized hornworm is probably equivalent to about half a dozen middle-sized crickets or roaches, and he's had a lot of hornworms lately. He loOOoves hornworms. :blob8: They've got lots of moisture in them too, so they're good for hydration. Too bad they're so expensive. :|

Puff is spending less time in his hide now that we're about 3 weeks away from the winter solstice and I'm sure he can see through the window that it's dark outside more often than not, although we still try to keep his heat lamps on for at least 12 hours a day -- still appears to have his biological clock set for the southern hemisphere. :?

Yes, it sounds like Broly's tendency to get MBD so quickly and easily is genetic. I can understand why inbreeding happens -- it's cheaper and easier, but I really wish breeders would be more responsible. :banghead:

Puff looks like he has a piece of scotch tape on his back, but it's just a shed. And he's giving me "The Look" -- time for his "good morning" cuddle, and this post is getting too TLDR anyway. :wave:
SHBailey
Sub-Adult Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby BlueDragon09 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:36 am

Hey,

Two dragons down, one slown down. We still have geckos, gerbils, hamster and hedgehog awake.

The arctic blast has left us and now nighttime temps are in the 40s. My outdoor plants have managed to sleep finally with all the ups and downs.

Broly didn't like apples when he was younger. He's crazy for em. He slept on the cooler side of his tank. I was surprised he went to his basking spot. He hasn't really slept yet and it's December now. Next month on the 14th he's turning 5 years old. I don't remember him growing up! Everyone says enjoy the baby stage. Lots of meat involved with the baby stage and it was a bit stressful he ate more than the colony of crix/roaches. He's grown now it doesn't matter.

We don't usually give hornworms. It's a treat here and Broly only gets one. More bsfl here.

We're going Christmas shopping sometime Idk when. I do have to order some stuff...may do that on the 10th. Idk yet really.

Leftovers are gone...so back to cooking. I like it it's therapeutic.

This is getting too long hope I replied somewhat to you. I don't always remember even if I read your post 100 times.

Tom says if they don't wanna be friends anymore then they're not worth your time. I stand by that.

I talked to Tracie (Drache613) and we agreed it's best to give him supplements through syringe. We don't want worse. We don't get snow yet probably next month.
Been diagnosed with asperger's syndrome.
BlueDragon09
BD.org Addict

Postby SHBailey » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:35 pm

Hiya…

(I spaced somehow and I thought my last TLDR had gone to never-never land :? , and I was going to try to rewrite it, but now I see it’s here – apparently went on the next page and I somehow forgot to look for that. I’m getting a little ditzy. Ok, a lot ditzy. :roll: )

So with all the critters you have, you’re probably always going to have somebody awake, even if some of them hibernate or brumate at various times. And even if you only have a few bearded dragons, you’re likely to have at least one of those awake at any given time too, since they’re all different. The same probably goes for your plants, especially when we have weird weather.

We’re having a cold snap with temperatures in the teens and single digits, more like what it’s supposed to be this time of year. Puff is still wide awake, although he does sometimes take a nap in his hide when we go somewhere for a few hours, maybe because there are no humans around to entertain him. :wink:

I guess little beardies grow up really fast when you’re not looking. I’ve never raised one from a baby, but I understand it’s a lot of work feeding them massive quantities of little bugs so they can grow – although we had a similar experience when we had to feed Puff back up to his healthy weight after he lost all that weight and turned anemic. Fortunately he cooperated – he was mortally hungry. Now we weigh him weekly – not going to get blindsided by that again. He’s eaten lots of bugs this week, so we’re hoping his weight will continue to go back up closer to where it’s supposed to be. Daddy made a mid-week run to the pet store and brought home some more roaches and enough crickets for one meal, so Puff ate all the crickets and we don’t have to clean up after them until the next time we have to get crickets because they’re out of roaches. We get roaches for him whenever they’re available because they’re so much easier to take care of and clean up after. Hornworms are sold 4 to a package and Puff usually eats them all in one or two meals if they’re reasonably small. Can’t keep them around too long because they grow really big really fast, and then pupate to turn into whatever kind of moth, and at that point they’re no longer fit for beardie consumption. But as much as Puff loves them, they fill him up fast. My husband has learned to recognize The Look that means, “I’m full!” :mrgreen:

I gave up on Christmas shopping a long time ago. :oops: Too stressful and too expensive even if it can be fun. My family has learned not to give me gifts and not to expect them from me. I’d be happy if we could just get together with at least some of them to hang out and talk for a while – wouldn’t have to do anything fancy. The holidays are a good excuse for that but we have a hard time managing it. My sisters have grandkids so I suppose they do the Christmas gift thing for them.

I’m not much for cooking these days either. My poor husband eats out of cans and out of the freezer most of the time. :oops: The best I usually ever do is to get something ready made at Costco and pop it in the microwave. At least we’re not starving. :|

I agree with Tom too. No good to waste your time worrying about someone who doesn’t want to be friends anymore.

Tracie is also probably right about the supplements and the syringe if you want to make sure he's getting a certain amount. We dust Puff’s bugs with calcium powder daily and vitamin powder weekly, but you really can’t control the dose that way. Fortunately Puff doesn’t seem to be the least bit prone to MBD the way Broly is. He’s had a couple of X-rays and his little skeleton is in good shape, except for a few fingers where he had an infection once, and one of them that ended up dislocated.

I guess that’s enough TLDR for now – happy weekend and enjoy getting ready for Christmas. :D
SHBailey
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby BlueDragon09 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:26 am

Hey,

Yes the meat part of a growing baby is the hardest part unless people start on a colony with enough male/female ratio. Im lucky to have started with Vash which carried to Alucard but didn't last long as I didn't have enough. Broly we're much better around.

Im not stuck on that person, I just found it odd that we had a good time to goodnight to goodbye for no reason. Idk I like closure I guess.

Christmas is set and tomorrow we're going to the mall for some stuff. I already ordered for my parents (Seattle Seahawk fans so they'll love it), Tom, Paul and his girlfriend, nephew and kid cousins and Tom's parents. Tom did some ordering too. He knows what I like.
We do have a tree and Broly only guy awake (aside from geckos and mammal animals) likes to hide in it. Other than that, we don't have anything else.

I cook most days. Tom cooks on weekends as he gets the weekend off. He does stay late sometimes depending and we don't eat till 9-9:30pm. It does seem late but hey it happens and we're ok with it.
Been diagnosed with asperger's syndrome.
BlueDragon09
BD.org Addict

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Previous

Return to Beardie Tales