How long until he's full grown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

techdave

Juvie Member
How long does it take for him to get to his full grown size? He's about 9 months old and about 12 inches or so long.

VEGASLIZARD

Sub-Adult Member
From my experience, I would say length first year and bulk second year. Scorch was about 16" at 9 months and grew to 20" by the time she was a year old and now at a year and a half she is not grown in length in the last 6 months but is getting wider, her head is growing allot right now, she is getting ready to shed it again and it just shed a month ago, which is a sign of growth. I think their growth rate has allot to do with husbandry and how well they will eat as well as genetics so there is no definitive answer as far as when they stop growing in length. I think the more they eat the faster they grow and sooner they stop growing. I hope that makes sense.

Amber31190

Hatchling Member
yea, i agree is it 9 months or did you buy it 9 months ago. we rescured one and its 10 months old and at 14 inches, and she had problems, but agree with top about the 1st year is leingh and the 2nd is bulk

techdave

Juvie Member
Original Poster
When I got him in October, the breeder said he was about 3-4 months old. he told me to feed him about a dozen crickets a day, so he will also eat his greens. I have started feeding him a lot more a few weeks ago. Also just got his first reptisun 10.0 about two weeks ago. Reading the posts here have made me wonder if the breeder told me accurate info.

VEGASLIZARD

Sub-Adult Member
Unfortunately, 12 crix a day does not allow your beardie to grow very much. A baby beardie should easily be able to eat 25- 50 crix a day, so the diet they told you to feed him was stunting his growth. Now that you are feeding him more you will most likely see rapid growth. It is recommended with young beardies that you allow them to eat as much as they want with live feeders 2 to 3 times a day for 15 minutes each time, and then leave a salad in their viv to eat the rest of the day. If you have a beardie that will eat dead feeders you can place them in the salad as this will help with them wanting to eat their salad as well. :D

techdave

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I've never had a problem with him eating his salad. He actually gets a little mad if he doesn't get it on schedule. lol Thanks for your input, hopefully he will be growing now. How long should I feed him that much?

VEGASLIZARD

Sub-Adult Member
Until he is about a year and a half old. Then you will need to start limiting the amount of feeders and increasing the amount of salad. Right now Scorch eats 4 roaches a day and the rest greens and fruit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom