How do I deel with this? Neurological disorder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

babyelvissocute

Sub-Adult Member
Well I just brought Elvis back from the vet. Its not MBD. they think its most likely a neurological disorder, but this is an unusal case that they have never seen before. They said the only other thing it could (but probaly not be) is a broken spine or leg, but they didnt feel and fractures. He was a little dyhydrated (but he hasnt really eaten his greens in awhile so thats what i expected, its not that easy to get water into him lately.) If it is neurological, then theres no treatment :cry: bascially i guess hes going to be handi-capped. They said he basically wont be able to hint or walk normally, but he could live his normal life span. Since he cant climb, they suggested a layer of slate and sand too get him right under his light. (hes already used to washed & shifted play sand snd thats softer on his muscles) They put him on a week of Metacam, which is an anti-inflammatory just in case it is a fracture.) The vet also said he may have to eat baby food and worms the rest of his life (anyone have suggestions for best kinds?) Then it came down to a quality of life question: would beardies mind just laying around basking every day and getting hand fed? probaly not. The only signs to watch out for is him not eating, which basically means the end is coming, and they starty spilaring down that way :cry:
But i guess he COULD live a normal life span if I keep up with the right feeding/basking, which is going to be hard to do, but im definently willing to, I keep crying (even at the vet) everytime I thought of not having my baby in my life anymore.
The vet also said shes never seen a 14 so attached to a lizard (after a little crying episode I have)
Well, basically I need help. This is not going to be easy. Has anyone out there ever had a beardie with a neurological disorder? If so, howd you handlle this?

Thanks everyone,
Kaitlyn

spikerocks

Juvie Member
Kaitlyn, I am so sorry to hear about Elvis. Unfortunately I do not have any experience dealing with beardies w/neurological disorders. Please consider sending a pm to drache613. She is very well educated and has a lot of experience w/beardies and health concerns.

Good luck n we will keep u n Elvis in our prayers.
Jane

babyelvissocute

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks. I have pm-ed her. Hopefully she can help. This whole thing is so confusing. Basically she said Elvis could lead a normal life span or I could wake up tomorow with him gone. I guess I'll have to take this one day at a time, and hope for the best.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
[Moved from General to Health]

Kaitlyn, did the vet take any x-rays on Elvis? How could they tell if he has fractures or not if there were no films to read??
(just had to ask, sorry if this had already been answered elsewhere)

babyelvissocute

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hi, and no she put him on matacam, because just in case there was a fracture. my mom apperently doesnt have the money for x-rays ($210) or a blood test ($200) and the vet said if she did see that it was just a neurological disorder then their was no treatment so my mom said it would just be a waste. i feel so bad for elvis, and I want to get him the treatment but im only 14 and dont have the money either. :banghead: I know that she knowsd how much I love him, but I dont think she gets that hes like a child to me. and how much of my money I have put in to get him his Powersuns, crickets, worms, viatmins and all that stuff. Its been so hard and I am very confused on how to be treating him. ive tried EVERYTHING to get my mom to get blood test and an xray, but she wont listen.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Have you or your mom discussed the financial issue with the vet? They might be able to give you a break on the cost and maybe even arrange for some form of payment plan.

Personally, I don't like medicating on a "just in case" basis, especially when it comes to harsh drugs.

babyelvissocute

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Well, after talking to Drache613, we have decided that the vets diagnostic is wrong, and its just his mbd getting worse. So im going to try giving him liquid calcium, and if theres an improvement then Im going to go to a different vet and get a seconded opinion. If no improvement then talking to my mom (and saving my money) for xrays and blood tests. Oh, and the metacam is 10 days. Just to see if there was an improvement.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I'm glad that you were able to speak with Tracie about Elvis' condition. Hopefully the liquid calcium would do wonders in treating the MBD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom