Breeding hornworms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I want to start breeding my own hornworms the next time but I don`t know how to do.
Does anyone have experience with breeding hornworms?

Rebecca

sweetbutterfly85

Original Poster
Thanks for the website.
But theres nothing about temperatures and care, breeding behavior and so...
Does nobody here in the forum breeds your own hornworms?

Rebecca

NickBarta

Rebecca,

Temps are 85 degrees, or less if you want to slow the process.

Humidity is crucial. I find the upside down cups from Great Lakes Hornworms seem to keep humidty pretty well. If I put them in a tub, many don't molt well and die.

Food is crucial. Although they will eat carrots and bell peppers (I don't use either) there are diets based on the Manduca (sp?) diet, some are good, some don't work. Again, I would refer to GLH.com, great food.

They will pupate in dirt, in a plastic box, on the floor, not too particular, I get about 60% to pupate and hatch to moths, the others just get hard, discolor and die.

Moths (M/F) can be put in a large paper grocery bag, eggs will be fertilized and laid all over the bag, tear the bag up and start your cups over again.

Hope this helps :D

Nick Barta

sweetbutterfly85

Original Poster
Hi,

thanks for your words, they are very helpful.
One more question about the humidity. How high must the humidity be?

Rebecca

NickBarta

Rebecca,
The food in the cup provides the humidity, and I would guess it is at 60% or so. Without the cup system, it seems difficult to get complete molts, part of this may be they hang from the lid to molt, and this may also be why cupped HW's do better than non cupped.

ginip21

NickBarta":1hqqeb0n said:
Moths (M/F) can be put in a large paper grocery bag, eggs will be fertilized and laid all over the bag, tear the bag up and start your cups over again.

So you dont put the moths with a tomato plant?

NickBarta

You could, but they will lay eggs where ever they are. The caterpillars should not eat tomato leaves, the tomato plant can be toxic to reptiles.

Nick

ginip21

NickBarta":3pvev1wx said:
You could, but they will lay eggs where ever they are. The caterpillars should not eat tomato leaves, the tomato plant can be toxic to reptiles.

Nick

Oh yea I know not to hatch the eggs on the plants. I just thought that the moths would only lay with that elaborate setup with a simulated sun, and sugar water feed cups, and a nightshade plant. I didnt want to build that setup or pick eggs off tomato leaves so I didnt bother to try breeding.

sweetbutterfly85

Original Poster
Some more questions... How must I handle the pupa from the hornworms? Where should I take there in and how to get the moths from it?
And what must I feed the moths then that they will mate and lay eggs? What enclosure is for breeding the best?

Rebecca

NickBarta

You don't need to handle the pupae, they will hatch where they pupate.

They will turn into moths on their own, I put the pupae in a paper grocery bag so once they hatch, the males and females will mate.

I haven't fed them, although I believe you can feed them for longer life.

These are not the easiest insects to raise. Many of the horn worms do not pupate. Most of us buy the worms and hatch moths as a sideline, not a feeder source.

Nick :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom