Question about UV and Basking light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

YamiRanpu

Hi,
I was curious can I use Reptisun 10.0 and Zoomeds' Reptile UVA Basking spot lamp? Or should I use a diffrent bulb for basking. I ask because while reading on here someone said you only need one UV source. Is that right? Or should it be ok? If not what kind of bulbs for basking? Would regular House bulbs really work, or not? Thanks in advance.

acwood04

Hatchling Member
You need one UVB source (reptisun) the other bulbs dont emit UVB but do emit UVA which is also essential to their growth. Use the reptisun over the basking spot and then use the spot basking bulb to make the basking spot warmer than the rest of the viv to create a temp gradient.

ChrisWAFC

acwood04":f68a9 said:
You need one UVB source (reptisun) the other bulbs dont emit UVB but do emit UVA which is also essential to their growth. Use the reptisun over the basking spot and then use the spot basking bulb to make the basking spot warmer than the rest of the viv to create a temp gradient.

So should the reptisun cover the full length of the viv ? i thought it was 3/4 and in the last 1/4 put the basking and ceramic if needed ?

Chris.

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
ChrisWAFC":00ee1 said:
acwood04":00ee1 said:

So should the reptisun cover the full length of the viv ? i thought it was 3/4 and in the last 1/4 put the basking and ceramic if needed ?

Chris.

You are half right...

The reptisun tube should cover 3/4 of the tank but the basking bulb(heat) should be on the same side as the UVB. On the other end of the tank, also known as the cool end, you don't want anything.

--------(UVB tube)---------------- cool end
o <- basking

YamiRanpu

Original Poster
So, Sorry if i sound slow, but is it ok to use the bulb and the tube? It wont cause problems? Or..? Also thanks for the replies another question I had was answered, How much the tube should cover.

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
It is ok to use a bulb and a tube as long they arent both UVB sources.

So fluorescent UVB tube and a halogen lamp.

acwood04

Hatchling Member
Use the tube and the bulb together. That way the visual light will be better too. use them next to each other on the warm side. When I had a 20gallon long I had a 24inch bulb, the tank was like 30 inches long... If I used one in my 4x2x2 I'd use a 36inch bulb. But they both need to be side by side on the warm side. You'll optimally want the basking spot to be around 8-10 inches from the tube. Thats why the regular flood or spot bulb is used to define that spot and heat it up, since the tube produces no heat. Just like the illustration.

ChrisWAFC

GoFast":a2b81 said:
ChrisWAFC":a2b81 said:
acwood04":a2b81 said:

Chris.

You are half right...

The reptisun tube should cover 3/4 of the tank but the basking bulb(heat) should be on the same side as the UVB. On the other end of the tank, also known as the cool end, you don't want anything.

--------(UVB tube)---------------- cool end
o <- basking

Ahhh right so i leave 1/4 of the tank with nothing covering it.

So would i be better putting the Arcadia 12% D£ (As discussed in the other tread) in the middle and the basking towards the back and the ceramic to the front ?

Thanks.

Chris.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Chris, the basking bulb and UVB should be right alongside each other. A bright white basking bulb helps their eyes dilate correctly so as not to cause any eye issues from the UVB. You don't need to use a CHE unless the basking temp isn't hot enough but if you do need it, the basking bulb should be the closest to the UVB keeping the distance in mind also.

Sometimes, it is necessary to have a lower wattage household bulb on the cool side to get the temps there between 78 to 82 degrees.

ChrisWAFC

diamc":13xa87cl said:
Chris, the basking bulb and UVB should be right alongside each other. A bright white basking bulb helps their eyes dilate correctly so as not to cause any eye issues from the UVB. You don't need to use a CHE unless the basking temp isn't hot enough but if you do need it, the basking bulb should be the closest to the UVB keeping the distance in mind also.

Sometimes, it is necessary to have a lower wattage household bulb on the cool side to get the temps there between 78 to 82 degrees.

Thanks for your comment, the CHE is only for at night incase the temps drop.

Hoping to start building my viv soon so just wanna try and get everything right in my head first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom