sunken eyes, pic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have a pic of a lizard with sunken eyes? Papi really looks like he's depressed... I think his temps are fine but I've been using a cheap probe and I just ordered a real Temp Gun to see if that's the problem. I thnk he's trying ot brumate, he likes to stay under his bridge. Up until today he's been eating fine, but today he refused both supers and crix... Odd. I took him outside and he wandered around a bit, but he almost never moves in his viv.

So I'm trying to figure out if his eyes are sunken, but I think it's happened slowly so it's hard to figure out. His eye skin surrounding the eyes seems a bit floppy... ANy Pics?

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Hello,

Could you possibly post a pic of Papi's eyes for us?
Would you mind going over his set up with us? uvb and temps?
What size enclosure?
How close is he to his uvb?
What watt basking light are you using?
How close is he to his basking light?
What brand digital probe thermometer are you using?
How old is Papi?
Are you giving calcium and multivitamins? How often?

Sunken eyes could be a sign of dehydration. Are you bathing him? How often?
He could be hiding and not basking due to his temps being too high, which could also account for the dehydration(sunken eyes)

Freeie

Extreme Poster
Yeah i have to agree with Dawn it sounds like dehydration. I have one beardie i have to keep a eye on even with baths and oral fluids. She likes to bask in high temps. I don't have any pictures of her at that stage. Now that i know what to look for it dosnt happen anymore. Id start oral fluids and long soaks every day for at least a week and try and get him hydrated again. Ive even soaked her in colorless gatorade.

momof2boys

Original Poster
Okay today I got my temp gun so I'll take some accurate temps with the gun and post. I was using a little probe thermo from Petsmart, 85 or so on cold side, 100 or so on hot spot so I got a higher watt bulb, from a 75 (which was fine before) to 95 watt ( weird wattage, I know, I guess it's an energy saving thing?).

He has a climbing wood thing that gets him within 6" of his UVB which is a ReptiSun10.0 tube that runs the length of the tank. He doesn't EVER drink water, not once in his life. He's probably about 14 months old or so. I will say I've pretty much NEVER seen hi climb that wood to get close to the UVB. His bridge sits about 8" from the UVB so maybe he thinks that's enough?

Our house is half windows, so his room gets up to about 75-85 degrees during the afternoon sun (he's not in the sun), more like 72 in the winter, we dont have AC. It's poorly insulated (it's an architectural home from the early 60s) and so it gets down to about 65 at night. His lights were on about 10 hours during the day but right before I posted this the pet store owner who sold me Papi told me that he thought he was trying to brumate and to have the lights on 12-14 hours so I've done that two days and he has gone CRAZY!! This morning he's glass dancing and he barely moves, so I think maybe he's woken up for spring?

As far as baths, I only do about 1-2X a week just because I'm busy and he eats his veggies usually right when I put htem in there and I leave them very wet for that exact reason. I am going to try to do it more like 3-4x a week but I have a house full of kids and dogs, and my oldest dog has lung cancer and needs a lot of care.

So I'll do my best. I do have a pic of him with that droopy eye skin, but have NO IDEA how to put it on here!

momof2boys

Original Poster
Okay just got my tempgun from the mailman...

I think we have the problem! The basking spot is only 95 degrees and the cool part is only 72! I still don't see why that would make him hide under his rock, but I think it's probably because he was brumating?

SO... I'll get a 100 Watt bulb if 95 is doing 95 degrees? What do you think? The odd thing is, he gapes on the basking spot since I put in the 95 watt. What do you think??

Oh and PS he has a calcium supplement with D3. I put it on the feeders 3 times a week. No multi-vite

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
I think a 100 watt bulb will be fine to get the temps up a bit. Gaping is normal unless he is doing it constantly. Since he is 14 mos old, his basking temps can hover around 100 and coolside temps should be between 78-82. calcium 3 x a week is just right for an adult. Multivitamins 1 x a week would be great as well.
How are his eyes doing? I would definitely try bathing him more and if you can give him oral fluids as well, just in case he is dehydrated.
A pic of his eyes would be great. Here is a link to a thread that tells you step by step how to post pics viewtopic.php?f=30&t=37103

Glad to hear he is perking up a bit. How is his appetite?

momof2boys

Original Poster
Well as for his appetite... Today he ate his entire salad for the first time in literally two months. He's been tapering off on the salads. He also glass danced for the first time in the same time. He still didn't want worms or crix, so I finally let the crix free in the front yard for the wild lizards to enjoy. They were just dying and it was getting disgusting. He can have some supers if he starts eating again soon and then I'll get him some more crix. He won't eat wax worms at all and I have a tremendous phobia of roaches. My husband won't feed a living thing to him so that idea's out... Anyway, at least the salad. I've heard some beardies live for months without life feeders so if he doesn't eat them by choice for a while i'm going to try to keep some perspective.

I still couldn't find a stinkin' 100W bulb... Just these 95W ones at my store, so I need to go to the bigger grocery in town tomorrow to see if they have one.

I'll see if I can figure out that pic thing.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
As long as he is eating some salad for now I would not fret. He isn't a baby anymore... 30-50 live feeders a week is the average protein diet for an adult. Do keep offering the worms though.
I can't believe they don't have any 100w bulbs at your store. Are you looking at regular household bulbs? You can use the halogen flood lights.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
He is a good size boy! Actually if you go under the photo, you will see an IMG code(4th link down). Just copy and paste that right to your post and it should come up.
See if you can get a close up of his eyes.

momof2boys

Original Poster
I think the store is only stocking those 95W household bulbs because we're a very "eco" town.. or so everyone claims to be! It's a really small town so the bigger grocery will have it for sure.

I will say that looking at the two pictures, Papi's eyes DO look sunken and droopy in that newer one... Wonder what others will think.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
They do look a little droopy, but it is hard to tell. Then again it could just be my old eyes not seeing so well :roll:
Try and get a close up if possible.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Oral fluids is when you give them water with a needeless syringe :D It's great for extra hydration. Some beardies don't get enough water from bathing alone, due to them only absorbing moisture through their vent.
How is Papi doing today? How are his eye's looking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom