Liquid Nails for Tile Selant

Status
Not open for further replies.

blsmit

Can I use liquid Nails Interior and Exterior Heavy Duty Construction Adhesive to seal down ceramic tile? I didn't cut the melamine in an exact right angle so the font is a little wider than the back.
The liquid nails would be used mainly for the bottom but in between some cracks in the front part.

Thanks for the responses

doopie

If you go to a tile specialty warehouse you can buy the grout that is mixed with a sealant. It will remain flexible you can seal it and it will be easy to clean and match the grout that you used to install the tile.

It is also non-toxic.

blsmit

Original Poster
I wanted the cage to come apart for easier moving (college student), thus I am very afraid to grout because it will end up grouting the sides and back as well.
any suggestions??

norbertbd

Hatchling Member
I don't have any other suggestions, but liquid nails will not be any easier to take apart than grout. If you try to take apart joints that you used the liquid nails on, you'll probably ruin your enclosure. If you check out Rockler.com or some other specialty wood hardware websites, you can find different fasteners like are used on knockdown furniture, etc. Depending on your skill level, that might be a lot easier if you want to be able to take it apart.

Good luck on your project.

blsmit

Original Poster
norbertbd: I have just screwed the melamine together using regular wood screws, I was planing on grouting/gluing (I now realize that sealant is the wrong word), my question is if I use liquid nails to glue the tile to the melamine will that be toxic for my bearded dragon? I'm trying to avoid using grout because I am afraid that it will come to close to the vertical walls, thus grouting everything together (which would defeat the purpose of taking it apart for moving)
I hope this clears up my question, and sorry for being so confusing.

Thanks to all.
blsmit

norbertbd

Hatchling Member
I believe once it is totally cured and the scent is gone, it is non-toxic. However, I've never used it and then had it under heat lamps either. Whether that would continue to give off a smell I can't say. Maybe they would have information on their website?

JeffSimpson

Juvie Member
You could always use something like masking tape or painters tape to cover the walls and back, if you get grout on it, just peel the tape off. Honestly I wouldn't really worry about the grout, it's not going to have that much holding power, and if you do need to disassemble, it will most like just crumble away along the edges anyway.

blsmit

Original Poster
JeffSimpson: well that worries me alittle. If you think that the grout is just going to crumble away anyway, whats to say that its not going to happen to the middle of the floor, with a little motion, and my poor bearded eats it. When I get a chance Ill post pictures of my handy work for you all to see. Ill also try and post some pictures of the bearded dragon. Thanks for all the help.

JeffSimpson

Juvie Member
blsmit":87c3d said:
JeffSimpson: well that worries me alittle. If you think that the grout is just going to crumble away anyway, whats to say that its not going to happen to the middle of the floor, with a little motion, and my poor bearded eats it. When I get a chance Ill post pictures of my handy work for you all to see. Ill also try and post some pictures of the bearded dragon. Thanks for all the help.

Sorry, I may have not worded that properly. Grout (assuming it's mixed right) is not going to crumble, it will last for a very long time. However, if you were going to disassemble the enclosure, where say the bottom is screwed to the sides and back. If you remove the screws and try and pull the bottom away from the back, it's not going to destroy the word or anything like it. If you use liquid nails ,or glue, etc the purpose is to make the two surfaces bond together. Grout is really just to "fill in the cracks", unless you are dropping the enclosure on the floor or pushing it down the steps, the grouts not going to go anywhere. :)

doopie

BL....
After reading your additional responses I take it you are making the VIV so that it will fold completely up.

You can use liquid nail to glue the tiles to the bottom board or thinset(Liquid nail is easier no mixing just squeezing and spreading. Use a 1/8" grout line to reduce the stresses you can also use no grout line and then fill it with silicon to ensure as it flexes it will not crack that bad.

If you do use grout there are two methods and only one approved:
1. Approved -- Mix it thick like cookie doiugh consistency that will harden and cure solid and will last for a long time if sealed. just use unsanded grout.
2. Mik it a little wetter where it is oatmeal. This will allow it to harden but than you can carve it to meet the edges. After that you must seal it to reduce the possibility the edges will crumble.

Good luck. I am designing a VIV where I can slide the floor completely out to clean using 12" slate tiles. No grout lines and I will be filling with grout caulk between them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom